Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Korg should do if new Kronos not released on NAMM 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not for the next :
48 audio tracks sequencer instead of just 16
16 midi tracks are enough.
and a VIDEO OUT to see the sequencer on a large screen.

I use completely the Kronos sequencer (midi and audio) I just use soundforge and plugins to clean the takes of the vocals before sending them in the audio tracks of the Kronos.
we can andjust and sync afterwards audio tracks very precisely and with the usual everything can be done faster than with a mouse and a DAW

GREAT SEQUENCER

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:
why not for the next :

difference of opinion, my Kronos friend

I prefer midi tracks over audio any day.
Primarily, its due to the way I compose/create/record.
I like realistic acoustic instruments.

My wish list/fantasy is 32 midi tracks- which cubase has.

If there was a way, I could loan you all my unused audio tracks Smile
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Greg, is there any VOCAL midi ?!?! Very Happy

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:
Hello Greg, is there any VOCAL midi ?!?! Very Happy

what is this ' singing ' you speak of ??

I am not familiar with more than 1 or 2 voices at a time
Wink
highlandstudio91

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:
why not for the next :
and a VIDEO OUT to see the sequencer on a large screen.

I use completely the Kronos sequencer (midi and audio) I just use soundforge and plugins to clean the takes of the vocals before sending them in the audio tracks of the Kronos.
we can andjust and sync afterwards audio tracks very precisely and with the usual everything can be done faster than with a mouse and a DAW

GREAT SEQUENCER

Unless you are recording the Philharmonic Orchestra,why would you need more than 16 audio tracks??Between audio & midi,you have 32 tracks to play with.I've recorded hundreds of songs in the last 10 years and NEVER used that many tracks.
This is probably the most useless feature request imaginable(especially since you use your desktop in conjunction with your Korg anyway.)

The video output idea,is a great one though.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today in 2018 asking for 48 audio tracks (only 4Cool is no more unreleasable than asking for in 1900 that a car has 4 wheels. Not more even if you find it useless.

And about the useless side of these 48 tracks. Mind you, but each of us has his own way to record.
For just one song, and for each verse and chorus of that song, I often spread the vocal solo takes of the singer on several different tracks.
Simply because I want each verse and chorus vocal parts of the song to be on different tracks clearly defined. It's just like the kind of way to record the voices. Because I am lucky enough to have found a great singer for my songs.
It's the case actually for the song I work on.
And imagine when there are ad-libs and other harmony voices.
That's all.
The other sides of tone ! Very Happy

kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the fault : read : "It is just the way I like for recording the vocal parts"

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:
Today in 2018 asking for 48 audio tracks (only 4Cool is no more unreleasable than asking for in 1900 that a car has 4 wheels. Not more even if you find it useless.

And about the useless side of these 48 tracks. Mind you, but each of us has his own way to record.
For just one song, and for each verse and chorus of that song, I often spread the vocal solo takes of the singer on several different tracks.
Simply because I want each verse and chorus vocal parts of the song to be on different tracks clearly defined. It's just like the kind of way to record the voices. Because I am lucky enough to have found a great singer for my songs.
It's the case actually for the song I work on.
And imagine when there are ad-libs and other harmony voices.
That's all.
The other sides of tone ! Very Happy

I figured you were doing heavy, multiple audio tracks because you work with a great singer.

I know most folks relate to vocals. Its the first thing most listen to in a song.
So you have a real treasure with that singer.

I am on the opposite approach. I can't sing. But I can lay down multiple instrumental tracks. And 16 is a definite limit, since I orchestrate, use brass sections, etc, etc.

Take a look at the " large orchestra " combis. Many use 12 midi tracks in a combi. . Some of the brass section combis use 10 or 11.

And i often set up 2 or 3 drum tracks. Last song I worked on , I had 4 drum parts.

I will let you do the math,,, whats left for bass, guitar, piano ? Not much.

And big surprise, songs that use this layered multiple midi file approach sound GREAT. Its no surprise, because the instruments are layered and harmonize

And when I am forced to create audio tracks for a heavily layered orchestra or brass section, quality is lost in the conversion to audio/WAV files. Then when
i take the combined result( Midi tracks Plus converted audio tracks) the song sounds ok- good, but not GREAT.

My experience is when I start making a WAV into a 2nd audio file, the quality drops. The instruments are not distinct.

Thats my context. And why I am looking forward to 32 midi tracks.

I am sure most like their own approach. But the ' context ' of our songs and instruments and FX used are going to differ widely, from song to song.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highlandstudio91 wrote:

Unless you are recording the Philharmonic Orchestra,why would you need more than 16 audio tracks?

I have some songs in Cubase over 26 minutes in length with about 80 tracks in total. Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
highlandstudio91 wrote:

Unless you are recording the Philharmonic Orchestra,why would you need more than 16 audio tracks?

I have some songs in Cubase over 26 minutes in length with about 80 tracks in total. Smile

you are a keyboard monster. LOL
highlandstudio91

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:

Okay....let me make my point another way,what is missing in your studio,that you feel you need 48 tracks?
What exactly,are you unable to accomplish,because the Kronos does not have 48 audio tracks?
Suppose Korg does release a new Kronos(or provides a software update for your current Kronos,if that is possible)...would you want to pay a $1,000 to $2,000 more,for all of the hardware/software upgrades it would take to accommodate such a task?
Korg would charge an arm & a leg,for a new Kronos with a bigger HD and more processing power.Also....would you want to work on 48 tracks on a 8" display?
Imagine if your feature requests,in addition to the requests made by others of a similar nature and all of that was packed into a Kronos that had no more HD space or processing power that what you currently have....would you want your Kronos's OS to crash and have it running 10X slower than what it's current speed is?
Korg crammed way too many features into the old M3 and look what happened?It not only was painfully slow,but it was susceptible to OS crashes(such as the one that occurred on my M3,as it were.)
Yes...at some point,many users could make use of 48 tracks,but there are ways to improvise for a lack of available tracks on any given project and having limitations spawns innovative thinking and creativity,which is a good thing.
Korg's bottom line,is maximizing their profits and such added features on a hardware platform,can be astronomical in cost.
So ask yourself,if you want another keyboard like an Oasys,that completely eviscerates your wallet,or perhaps,you can make do with what you have...if that's possible?
Desktop solutions are incredibly cheap,very upgrade-friendly and very proficient,for the task of heavy multi-tracking and are best left to remain to the PC domain...wouldn't you agree?
The current Kronos is the most capable hardware workstation you are ever likely to see,for the price point(whether it be the year 2018,or 2028.)

For 48 tracks and beyond,contained within a keyboard,I would have suggested Open Labs,but they do not appear to be in production any longer.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello highlandstudio91
Ho ! It was a kind of dream I had of a 48 audio tracks Kronos.
I know also that it never come to real !
But you're right some years ago I was very interested by the neko XXL and now I will be interested to find a old TEAC X48 ( a real 48 multitracks machine) which has been replaced by the DA-6400 which helas is not a multitrack (track by track) machine because you cannot make re-recording.
My main concern is that I hope a full compatibility between the Kronos I have and the future Korg Workstation (if there is anyone in the months to come). If not, then I will go definitely with a DAW. I think Magix softwares like Samplitude and Sequoia are great intuitive sequencers. Wait and see...

Idea

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:

My main concern is that I hope a full compatibility between the Kronos I have and the future Korg Workstation (if there is anyone in the months to come). If not, then I will go definitely with a DAW. I think Magix softwares like Samplitude and Sequoia are great intuitive sequencers. Wait and see...

I am skeptical Korg will do anything beyond Kronos for the rest of 2018.
I also believe Kronos is mostly maxed out for processing as it is. All we can do is add more SSD, which is nice and cheap. I see no 'piecemeal ' component
upgrades to processing power. I would like to be proven wrong.

realistically, no one has hacked their Kronos ( yes, i know there is an assertion here or there on the Internet) and substantially proven it.

Anyway, we are in the NAMM 'window' and any co at NAMM that has something is splashing it by now.

Korg wants full attention on Prologue, as well. Thats the Korg news.

I decided last month to not wait around on a more advanced W/s.
I am not much for wishing and hoping. Time is not my friend.

Its a preference, and I decided to try the Cubase route for my DAW.
Have lots of transition work to do. But I like crossing over Kronos
to Cubase and having a host of other great sounds ( like Omnisphere/Keyscape).

Tech and music creation are not on 6-10 year product cycles.
leonh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One can record 16 midi tracks and then transfer them to audio tracks so you have again 16 midi total 32 tracks if anybody need more than that and they are people who do then DAW is only way so Kronos plus Cubase .
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
I am skeptical Korg will do anything beyond Kronos for the rest of 2018.
I also believe Kronos is mostly maxed out for processing as it is. All we can do is add more SSD, which is nice and cheap. I see no 'piecemeal ' component upgrades to processing power. I would like to be proven wrong.

realistically, no one has hacked their Kronos ( yes, i know there is an assertion here or there on the Internet) and substantially proven it.

Anyway, we are in the NAMM 'window' and any co at NAMM that has something is splashing it by now.

Korg wants full attention on Prologue, as well. Thats the Korg news.

+1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: