Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Connecting Ipad and Iphone simultaneously
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdwctdwc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Connecting Ipad and Iphone simultaneously Reply with quote

If any fellow Kronos/iOS users can help me with this that would be great:

I have an Ipad connected to kronos through USB/Audio, Kronos will be used as both midi device OR as an audio source inside Garageband/Cubasis. So far so good, but here's where i need help: I want to shoot a live video with my iphone and i want digital audio from either Kronos or Ipad to be streaming through iphone as i shoot the video live. Since the Kronos USB out is already used for the ipad, is there any way to stream digital audio to the Iphone as well ???

I looked at Airplay but it seems to only work with Apple TV in iOS 11...
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of Kronos USB ports stream audio. You just have to have the right interface/cables. You have 3 USB ports back there. one is USB-b and the other is USB-a..... It is an issue of interface and cables.

A USB hub is better to have in my opinion. It leaves a lot of options open even if it is a USB hub that splits one port into two.
tdwctdwc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-------

Last edited by tdwctdwc on Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
tdwctdwc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="tdwctdwc"]
19naia wrote:
All of Kronos USB ports stream audio. You just have to have the right interface/cables. You have 3 USB ports back there. one is USB-b and the other is USB-a..... It is an issue of interface and cables.

A USB hub is better to have in my opinion. It leaves a lot of options open even if it is a USB hub that splits one port into two.
So USB A streams audio out ?? I just connected my iphone to USB-A and it didnt work. I used the usb to lightning cable that came with my iphone though. Maybe that's why? Thanks for your help.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In lieu of a better answer (which I'd also love to hear), I'll offer you the approach I would try. It's going to be more tedious.

Record the 'what you hear' output from the Kronos into the Kronos. You could use an audio track if in SEQ mode or the sampler if in PROG/COMBI modes. Basically set it to record the L/R output to disk. This is called RESAMPLING in the manual.

Do that and at the same time record your video which will just be recording from the iPhone mic. Then you need to get the Kronos recorded audio onto the iOS device, or both that and the video onto a computer.

Then you would to use a non-linear video editor (NLE) to line up the audio from the mic and the direct digital audio you recorded on the Kronos, and then mute the mic track and render the video out. There are plenty of NLEs out there for Win, Mac, iOS. If you want one for iOS, Lumafusion is a great one.

I'd also definitely be interested in a way to use the USB A ports to do what you described. That would be way easier.
tdwctdwc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
In lieu of a better answer (which I'd also love to hear), I'll offer you the approach I would try. It's going to be more tedious.

Record the 'what you hear' output from the Kronos into the Kronos. You could use an audio track if in SEQ mode or the sampler if in PROG/COMBI modes. Basically set it to record the L/R output to disk. This is called RESAMPLING in the manual.

Do that and at the same time record your video which will just be recording from the iPhone mic. Then you need to get the Kronos recorded audio onto the iOS device, or both that and the video onto a computer.

Then you would to use a non-linear video editor (NLE) to line up the audio from the mic and the direct digital audio you recorded on the Kronos, and then mute the mic track and render the video out. There are plenty of NLEs out there for Win, Mac, iOS. If you want one for iOS, Lumafusion is a great one.

I'd also definitely be interested in a way to use the USB A ports to do what you described. That would be way easier.
My problem lies in the "Live video" situation. I want everything to stream in real time. If this wasn't live, life would be easy, i would just record my performance on Cubasis sequencer while shooting the video with the iphone mic and then line up the bounced Cubasis audio track with the iphone video in iMovie.

I'm going to look into a usb hub that supports audio stream, i think that's the best bet (?), because to my knowledge USB-A does not stream digital audio from the Kronos, though i wait to stand corrected.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the manual doesn't seem to indicate the USB A ports support audio. Just QWERTY keyboards, mass storage devices, and MIDI controllers.

My educated guess is that the Kronos is not going to want to share it's single USB audio interface (the USB-B port) with two computers (iPad and iPhone) either. I'd love to be wrong about that, but based on lots of experiences trying to connect different things together, my guess is that the first one connected would get a lock on it, or neither would work.

Are you using an iPhone app to do the actual streaming? Does it support external class compliant USB interfaces? If so another option might be something along the lines of the iRig DUO. Wouldn't be pure digital since you're going through the K's DAC and the iRig's ADC, but it would still be clean and high quality.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="tdwctdwc"]
tdwctdwc wrote:
19naia wrote:

So USB A streams audio out ?? I just connected my iphone to USB-A and it didnt work. I used the usb to lightning cable that came with my iphone though. Maybe that's why? Thanks for your help.

In Audio Page, you can set USB-A ports for audio input. So audio output look like limited to USB-B

USB-B port handles Audio in, Audio out and midi in/out..

USB-B port can plug into a USB hub which sends onward to a computer.
That same hub can then have other devices plugged in.

What i am not sure about is the configuration for the Hub if it can work as you need it to.
Kronos can send USB to a hub that other devices are also sending into and all the data picked up by a receiving device -like a laptop able to handle all the incoming.

Midi through over USB-B is an issue if you want Kronos to send out to a device in and have that device send krono through to a 3rd device. So i am wondering if the same issue with sending audi through if such a configuration is possible.

Sorry i don’t have a configuration for you. iphone and iPad with their single lightning input is rather limiting. I have iPad and no laptop and sometimes find myself lost for lack of USB utility.

For certain.
Audio page will show that USB-A ports can set up to take audio input.

USB-B will do audio in and out as well as midi I/O.

There are audio interfaces that can take in TRS from kronos L/R mains or from iPad headphone jack and convert the signal to USB signal for output over USB to Lightning cable.

The one thing i would love to know is how it works with a lightning cable audio stream to iPhone while also using iPhone Camera in live mode and then have all that stream together as one into a live broadcast or recording.
I have never been able to get any live audio other tha what is picked up from the pinhole microphone, while using iPad camera.
How do you get audio stream in over lightning to join the camera live record stream and then stream the whole thing out to wherever you have it going?
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Sure if the USB A ports on Kronos work for audio input.

Ii you need to stream to multiple devices you need an interface that supports multiple devices like the iConnectaudio2 or iconnectaudio4+ interfaces.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amit wrote:
Not Sure if the USB A ports on Kronos work for audio input.

Ii you need to stream to multiple devices you need an interface that supports multiple devices like the iConnectaudio2 or iconnectaudio4+ interfaces.

So anytime kronos refrences to USB 1 & 2 such as in Audio Page bus select, is that just stereo separation of audio signal going through USB-B only?

Also Audio page has the setting for audio output where USB is on the list.

I guess the way they were listed 1 & 2 had me thinkng of the two USB A ports.

I took a look at Page 23 of the Operation guide (not parameter guide) and it says nothing about USB-A audio but does say the USB-A ports can support up to 8 USB devices connected via a port, but only supported in terms of USB midi.
Nothing said about audio. USB-B description says Audio and midi.

So going by what you said and what i saw in Operation guide, i will correct myself and go with USB-A being for Midi devices and disk mode storage devices..
tdwctdwc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:

Are you using an iPhone app to do the actual streaming? Does it support external class compliant USB interfaces? If so another option might be something along the lines of the iRig DUO. Wouldn't be pure digital since you're going through the K's DAC and the iRig's ADC, but it would still be clean and high quality.
This whole ceremony i'm making a fuss about is for Facebook Live and Instagram live streaming:) So i'm just using the social apps built in cameras, no 3rd party. Thanks for the Irig suggestion, i will look at it. Didn't cross my mind.

Last edited by tdwctdwc on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total
tdwctdwc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="19naia"]
tdwctdwc wrote:
tdwctdwc wrote:
19naia wrote:

In Audio Page, you can set USB-A ports for audio input. So audio output look like limited to USB-B

USB-B port handles Audio in, Audio out and midi in/out..

USB-B port can plug into a USB hub which sends onward to a computer.
That same hub can then have other devices plugged in.

What i am not sure about is the configuration for the Hub if it can work as you need it to.
Kronos can send USB to a hub that other devices are also sending into and all the data picked up by a receiving device -like a laptop able to handle all the incoming.

Midi through over USB-B is an issue if you want Kronos to send out to a device in and have that device send krono through to a 3rd device. So i am wondering if the same issue with sending audi through if such a configuration is possible.

Sorry i don’t have a configuration for you. iphone and iPad with their single lightning input is rather limiting. I have iPad and no laptop and sometimes find myself lost for lack of USB utility.

For certain.
Audio page will show that USB-A ports can set up to take audio input.

USB-B will do audio in and out as well as midi I/O.

There are audio interfaces that can take in TRS from kronos L/R mains or from iPad headphone jack and convert the signal to USB signal for output over USB to Lightning cable.

The one thing i would love to know is how it works with a lightning cable audio stream to iPhone while also using iPhone Camera in live mode and then have all that stream together as one into a live broadcast or recording.
I have never been able to get any live audio other tha what is picked up from the pinhole microphone, while using iPad camera.
How do you get audio stream in over lightning to join the camera live record stream and then stream the whole thing out to wherever you have it going?
You just connect the Kronos USB-B to the the iphone using the camera kit. Facebook Live video camera will automatically switch as a slave to Kronos audio. All happens automatically. Yes i don't think USB-A supports any sort of audio (in or out), it's just for storage media and it can also act as a host to midi keyboard, but not for Audio.
tdwctdwc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another solution i'm eyeing is to use a controller keyboard to control the ipad instruments through usb camera kit, send the ipad audio to kronos through input 1 and 2, then send kronos audio out to Iphone camera through Kronos USB-B. But that equation erases the possibility of using Kronos sounds inside
the Ipad's Cubasis Sequencer.

The iRig option seems to be the best choice for now...
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how that (or whatever approach you settle on) works out. XD

I have never done a live stream but I do like to occasionally make demo/tutorial type videos to document things for myself, and I will often share them. An iPad or iPhone and the FilMiC Pro app has been my video camera of choice as of late, but direct high quality audio has always been an issue. I will sometimes use the approach I described in my first reply but often laziness wins out and I end up going with the mic recording.

I think based on what's been discussed here I could connect that directly to the USB-B and get the direct 'what you hear' audio out of the Kronos, including a mic connected to one of it's audio ins, which I assume could also be configured to be muted via the K's control surface. Cool! Going to have to try that.

I be interested to hear a little more about how you're using Cubasis for iPad with the Kronos.
tdwctdwc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
Cool! Going to have to try that.

I be interested to hear a little more about how you're using Cubasis for iPad with the Kronos.
Yeah just take usb B out straight to the iphone using the camera kit, you'll get Kronos digital audio straight into your live stream.

Regarding Cubasis, I'm using it as a "naked" DAW, meaning i don't use the instruments in it. I either use the Kronos sounds or 3rd party iOS instruments through audiobus.

My goal here is to experiment with how far i can go using only Kronos and iOS devices in a live stream situation (no computer involved, no 3rd party audio interfaces).

It seems sooner or later, something has to give in and i'll end up using my 18i20 Scarlett...

I'll pm you the link to a live video i did just yesterday with the ipad and Kronos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: