Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos' quirks
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaLaLand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Kronos' quirks Reply with quote

Hi everyone
I'm new here, cause I'm new with Korg products.
A fresh Kronos LS owner here.

I wonder if someone have experienced the same strange behaviors that can't be trace down to defined cause. I'm with my keyboard for just few weeks, and already have noticed some strange things I wouldn't expect in this price range.

1. Once I turned it on, and it started to play some strange organ sound, although it was set to default piano in Setlist, as it always does. Then I changed to another Setlist, came back to first one and it was fine, as if nothing was wrong. Happened only once.

2. Once it prolonged playing remaining of a previous sound with the new selected sound until I switched to another and than back. Happened only once.

3. On many occasions, when I press something on touch screen, I hear beep for acknowledgment, but no changes from pressed command. Than I have to press again and there it goes. Sometimes it gets frustrating when I have to wait and press again and again to scroll or to select something.

Is this "normal" for PC based keyboard to have such quirks?
Should we expect updates that would improve performance and stability?

I must say it disappointed me, especially after I've seen some reviews emphasizing how stable this unit is.

I started to think if a standard ROMpler would give me more confidence. (Something like Kurzweil PC3K or Roland FA)

I would appreciate some comments.
Thanks.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kronos just gave me my first serious problem after 2 years of use. I can still use it fully but it just has regular interuptions in combi mode now.

#1 is a mystery to me but seems like nothing too bad for a software based instrument.

#2 on your list seems like the SST function. It is designed to do that when you use sustain pedal to hold a sound and then change to the next sound, both sounds will play together until you release sustain or change to a third sound.
SST (smooth sound transition) is made to blend sounds as you scroll through them -but only 2 at a time.

#3 may be touch screen calibration issues. Especially when new, it is hard to get down a regular finger press on the screen. You may want to recalibrate touch screen every week or every few days until your finger habits adust to a regular routine. But i do agree that the screen touch response is not the best ,it works despite needing some extra prodding some times.
A stylus or pen can be used for the smaller screen cells which are not easy to get right even on high end devices like iPad Pro from apple. I have some fustrating touch response on my iPad pro right now. So i doubt there is a perfect touch screen out there.

Roland FA is going to lack more than a few benefits of Kronos. Kurzweil will also. But they aslo each have their own special abilities that kronos lacks.

As an entire package, kronos still stands taller.

My kronos is giving me real problems right now and my last chance is that a CD reset works or Korg sends an update, but regardless of the outcome, the only thing i can imagine being worth my while is Kronos. So i would rather take it in for service than get another brand of synth. And i doubt any synth brand out there is trouble free across the entire production output.

Kronos had a rough start with lots of issues always coming up and some people still have system crashes of different sorts. But still most users have had it working fine for them. That was my case for the past two years and my luck ran out. All i want now is a working kronos and not another brand.

It would be more trouble to get a new brand and lose out on what kronos offers. Easier to set up service for kronos.
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my K2 for 2 1/2 years and I've only had a few operational issues. Only rare problems since I've up-dated both OS and firmware. Both revisions are current now and I use a UPS.

To address item#1...Maybe when you've experienced a 'strange sound', you happened to bump your VJS? I found that on some programs if the VJS is programed to do something, touching it by accident can make bad things happen fast. It's pretty easy to bump it if you're intending to adjust the volume control. I have disabled my VJS in Global since I don't need it for my applications.

Another thing that can have an effect of sound changes is the Value slider. Bumping that can make things go bad, depending on the last thing you've touched on the screen. I try to leave it in the up position and out of the way.
LaLaLand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the promptness!
At least I don't feel alone in the Kronos abyss.

I'll pay more attention on proposed. I'm quite new in this, so forgive my lack of knowledge. Issues I've explained were enough to awake my worm of qualm.

However, I'm certain I didn't move finger away from exact first tap point where there was no reaction, while on second tap it was all fine. It was more like an issue with an old computer, where it rejects external inputs while processor is too busy.
I'll try to find a stylus, calibrate the screen and followup on this issue.

Btw. is there any trick to prolong lifetime of this touchscreen. a protective foil or something?
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Btw. is there any trick to prolong lifetime of this touchscreen. a protective foil or something?"

I think I remember reading about someone using a protective cover, but I don't know if it causes any issues. The touch screen on my 19 year old Triton still works fine. I hope the new screens will last a long time with proper care too.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a light touch on the screen with a fingernail seems to work reliably, and has leaft no visible usage marks on the screen so far (several years use). I make a point of using clean hands on the Kronos after doing work on gritty stuff (soil, cement/concrete, engines....). The screen calibration was done using the "standard" fingernail two or three years ago, and seems to have held up. The Kronos will beep if an off-target touch is detected.
LaLaLand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s a bit of an update.
I did the calibration and I started to utilize a nice thin stylus ( curtesy to my wife, she had a spare bamboo knitting needle!)
Precision improved, mostly due to stylus, but I still experience a “beep” without an action, mostly on changing tabs, or “cancel”. It’s not that often to become annoying, but still I don’t expect this in top class product.

And here are some more:
1a
Take one piano sound, like I-A002. Try to rapidly change tone between keys A8,H8,C8. Use three fingers and make it fast. You’ll hear some strange phaser distortion, as a laser shot in SF movie.

2a
It hapened once that any piano didn’t want to play higher than G#8.
After power recycle everything turned to normal.

Since those things are bothering me, I have another question. Are my expectations from top range keyboard to high?
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd consider bug reporting them to Korg, especially if you have a documented process for consistently reproducing them. Who knows, maybe they'll get fixed in a future update.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaLaLand wrote:
H

And here are some more:
1a
Take one piano sound, like I-A002. Try to rapidly change tone between keys A8,H8,C8. Use three fingers and make it fast. You’ll hear some strange phaser distortion, as a laser shot in SF movie.

another question. Are my expectations from top range keyboard to high?

I think you should use a proper stylus vs knitting needles.

not following " apidly change tone between keys A8,H8,C8. "

When I rapidly play A8 B8 C8 there is no problem. Keep in mind no acoustic piano is perfect. Thus a sampled AP is not ' digital perfect "
LaLaLand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s strange you don’t hear it at piano I-A002. I’ll try to record it and upload it somewhere. I was aiming at cleanest sounds available today, hoping the price wil define the quality, as usually is the case. I need that for some HI-FI production. Despite my wish to work with keyboard alone, I guess I should consider opening the door to VST world.

As for a stylus, I wouldn’t worry because it’s made of bamboo wood and tip point is very fine formed. Works very smooth.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaLaLand wrote:
It’s strange you don’t hear it at piano I-A002. I need that for some HI-FI production. Despite my wish to work with keyboard alone, I guess I should consider opening the door to VST world.

As for a stylus, I wouldn’t worry because it’s made of bamboo wood and tip point is very fine formed. Works very smooth.

it is odd. A YT/recording is a good idea.

As far as recording quality, Kronos is out standing. Have recorded +30 songs on the SEQ, 100% Kronos. Multiple tracks, lots of piano/heavy FX

Will check out your recording
pete.m

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Greg - over 200 songs recorded on the Kronos, some with audio tracks, nearly all with sampling, midi control of other synths and lots of fx, and no problems.

As for the beep, you can get rid of it by going into Global mode and disabling the beep sound.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only quirk observed on the Kronos X is the German Grand, lowest C# on the 61-key board sounds a little strange, with a sine wave tone superimposed on the note. It affects all Programs and Combis that use the German Grand samples, moves up and down the board with octave shift, or transpose, persists after a full reformat and reinstall, and is not heard on the Japanese Grand or any other piano types.

Wonder if anyone else has heard this.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking only for myself and using my 6 1/2 year old version 1, I've never experienced any of these problems. Never tried the fast high note pattern though.
Seems very unusual.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
jg::
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue relating to "hearing a beep but no action results" with the touchscreen....

This has always happened to me occasionally, even going back to Oasys and M3 (I don't recall Triton behaving like this, but it was a monochrome display). It happens when you don't press closely enough to the "sweet spot". Hence using a stylus or fingernail can be better for accuracy than a finger.

However, I've always wondered how it's possible for you to be close enough to elicit a beep from the screen, but not close enough to actually trigger the action you want. Surely, you would think, if you are close enough to trigger a beep, then you are close enough to trigger the action.

I assume it's something to do with the display itself. Does anyone have any thoughts on how this could happen in the development/manufacturing process?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: