Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MIDI Event Edit matching with DAW Piano Roll

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SyntaxZd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: MIDI Event Edit matching with DAW Piano Roll Reply with quote

Hello new to the forum and fresh user of the Kronos which is amazing.

My current problem is this:

MIDI note C-1 on DAW (ableton) piano roll is read as C-0 in Midi Event List

A whole octave out

I've tried transposing the key in global settings, and convert position to post-midi none of which have worked.

Looking simply to align the Kronos with DAW

Any ideas?

Thanks Smile
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run into this before though not yet with the Kronos. There doesn't seem to be an industry standard for "which C is called C0". Half of them use one and the other half use another.

I would have tried the same thing you did. Don't see anything else in the manuals that indicate you can change the note number to note name map.

Most of the time this kind of thing doesn't cause a big issue for me except occasionally when trying to map MIDI controllers to virtual drum instruments.

I don't use Ableton but have you looked to see if it has a way to adjust this mapping?
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and PS, welcome and congratulations!

Maybe someone who's had the Kronos for longer than me has a trick up their sleeve around this.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Only in midi event list and piano roll? But the kronos notes on the keybed line up to match the corresponding midi notes everywhere else in the DAW?
There are Midi routing apps that include midi filters and full note mapping.
I use iOS though so i am not sure if midi-flow or a similar app is available for DAW and good for Ableton.
If you can find an app to do the job, then i doubt it would coplicate too much since you are mapping to match a full octave shift. Ends up becoming a pitch shift or transpose situation rather than a tossed note salad situation that note mapping is meant for.

Karma is where note mapping exists in Kronos, so if you are not reading a note that came from karma and through the note map feature there, then your only way of changing the mapping is in Ableton or with a third party app that can route midi mapping for you.

Have you searched Ableton for note map settings? DAW are generally more advanced in setting options and a global style midi note map feature is most likely available as part of Ableton. I am not sure about ableton but it will be worth the search in Ableton. Kronos only has note mapping flexibility via Karma.
SyntaxZd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, really very much appreciated.

It's more a symmetrical obsession than a problem. I'll probably just readjust each event individually.

Just seems quite a basic global requirement, and even more odd considering that if you hit a key it corresponds correctly, but reads back differently as a note on message from the sequencer.

It's an ableton ism though as I've had this issue before with other synths like the Motif.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The note number is what's important for generating the expected pitch. MIDI messages don't include or care about note names.

http://www.electronics.dit.ie/staff/tscarff/Music_technology/midi/midi_note_numbers_for_octaves.htm

I am with you on your symmetrical obsession. Wish the industry would get together and standardize this. But they probably won't if they haven't in 30+ years. If you can get past the optics, 99% of the time you can just kind of ignore that the note naming schema is mismatched and carry on. Smile
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has always been this way. There are two definite standards for this. One is the Korg standard (for lack of another name) where Middle C = C4, and one is known as the Yamaha standard, where Middle C = C3. When I created apps for Korg and then for Yamaha, I had to change all the displays around to reflect this.

However, Middle C is always note number 60, regardless of whether it's named C3 or C4.

So you probably cannot fix this, unless your DAW has an option for which method to use for Middle C (some do).

danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
It has always been this way. There are two definite standards for this. One is the Korg standard (for lack of another name) where Middle C = C4, and one is known as the Yamaha standard, where Middle C = C3. When I created apps for Korg and then for Yamaha, I had to change all the displays around to reflect this.

However, Middle C is always note number 60, regardless of whether it's named C3 or C4.

So you probably cannot fix this, unless your DAW has an option for which method to use for Middle C (some do).

Thanks for that info, Stephen! I’ve noticed the difference over the years, but never knew why.
SyntaxZd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome, thnx.

I love that the Korg opts towards Scientific pitch notation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: