Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KRONOS Basic Step Sequencing Tutorial needed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VICTOR KENNEDY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: KRONOS Basic Step Sequencing Tutorial needed Reply with quote

Hello,

I've had my Kronos a while but have only used it for 'live' playing and can make my own Combis etc.

I need to learn how to use the Step Sequencer so I can then program my own Arps and so forth...I've seen several YouTubes showing ways to use it in just the manner I want to, but they all assume that we already know how to use the step sequencer.

I don't mean using the sequencer in song/track mode...I get that ok.
I want to use thge step sequencer to write my own arpeggiator / karma things, which I know is possible from several YouTube tutes by Qui Robinez and other users, but as I said, they all assume that we already know how to use the step sequencer.

I'm not sure that I even access the correct pages for it.
I'm no newbie to sequencing and midi and have been doing it for more than 30 years, but trying to find any basic info from the Kronos user guide / manual or net searches about basic Step Sequencing is not bringing any info on the basics.

Apologies if I've missed something in my searches.
All helpful suggestions appreciated...
iMAC OSX 10.11.3, 3.4 GHz i7, 12 GB Ram | MacBookPro OSX 10.10, 2.5Ghz, 16GB Ram | A+H Qu16 | ProTools 12.6 | Korg Kronos2 61 | MicroKorg | N.I. Komplete - Kontrol | Alesis DM10 | Avid Eleven Rack | Slate VMS One | Fender, Maton, Epiphone Guitars |Allen+Heath Qu-16 | Etc Etc...
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic. I'll be eager to hear what some of the more seasoned users come back with too.

For my add, here's a really basic walk through:

------------------------------------------------------
Call up program UA-005: Stab Saw. Go to the EXi 1 Main tab, and click on the Pitch Transpose knob. In the dialogue box, set the AMS Source to Common Step SEQ. Set the Intensity to +12.00.

Next go to the Common tab, then Modulation, then Common Step Seq.

Notice the mode is Loop. Leave that alone for now.

Set the End Step to 04.

You’ll notice there is already a seqeunce set up, so go ahead and click the Value Reset button to initialize it.

Now set the step values for steps 1-4 as follows:
1: +000
2: +034
3: +063
4: +087

Play a middle C. You can hear it apregiating a C7 chord. Notice the diagram at the top left shows a visual representation of the step sequencer values.

Now change the duration for step 1 from a sixteenth note to an eighth note. Play a C note again and hear this step lasts longer.

Now go to smoothing and increase the attack parameter. Hear how it is now applying some slew (portamento) to the pitch changes?

------------------------------------------------------

Most of the synth engines have this common step sequencer. But note that there are probably other methods of achieving a step sequencer too. For example, in any of the synths that can accept a wave sequence (for example HD-1 or MOD-7), you could use it's AMS output values 1 & 2 to drive some synth parameter (such as pitch).
VICTOR KENNEDY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the walk through Lightbringer (which in deed you did- bring light)

I'm spinning from lack of food so will have lunch, go for a walk, then try your suggestions anon.
Shall repot back with my results later...or maybe tomorrow.

Many thanks indeed...
iMAC OSX 10.11.3, 3.4 GHz i7, 12 GB Ram | MacBookPro OSX 10.10, 2.5Ghz, 16GB Ram | A+H Qu16 | ProTools 12.6 | Korg Kronos2 61 | MicroKorg | N.I. Komplete - Kontrol | Alesis DM10 | Avid Eleven Rack | Slate VMS One | Fender, Maton, Epiphone Guitars |Allen+Heath Qu-16 | Etc Etc...
VICTOR KENNEDY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't wait 'til after lunch...just did your basic steps and it's opened the box.
Now at least I have a place to start from.
If only Korg user manual and tutorials were so straight to the point.

I'll experiment further and get back to you with what I discover.

Cheers...
VICTOR KENNEDY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question before I go.

I tried setting the 4 'values' in the right side step sequencer to '0' to see if it would play a single note on repetition, but it just sounded more like I was hold a sustained note, instead of 'da da da da' etc

Would you think this is just because of the sound currently in the Polysix, or would it not be possible to get such a sequence?

I will of course experiment with this idea, but just thought you might have info on this.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to hearing what you learn. Exciting stuff! Step sequencers can be a very powerful musical tool. And not just for controlling pitch!
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VICTOR KENNEDY wrote:
One question before I go.

I tried setting the 4 'values' in the right side step sequencer to '0' to see if it would play a single note on repetition, but it just sounded more like I was hold a sustained note, instead of 'da da da da' etc

Would you think this is just because of the sound currently in the Polysix, or would it not be possible to get such a sequence?

I will of course experiment with this idea, but just thought you might have info on this.

It is only controlling the pitch in this example. You would need something else controlling the amp value to get what you’re looking for. Possibly another step sequencer. Possibly you could use a square wave LFO. I guess it’s all about finding an available modulation source that meets the goal.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this, starting from where the previous walk through left off.

Set all the step lengths to the same value - 8th notes.

Now go back to EXi 1 - Main and click on the amp attenuator knob.

In the dialogue, set the AMS Source to Common LFO. Set the intensity to +20.0.

Now go to Common tab, then Modulation, then Common LFO.

Set the waveform to Square. Set the offset to 0.0. Set Reset AMS to Gate 1 (note on).

Enable MIDI/Tempo Sync and set the Base note to an 8th note.

Each note should now be distinct, and you should hear the "da da da da" pattern even if two adjacent notes have the same value.

This is just one possible approach though!

Pretty much every synthesizer manual I've read seems to already assume you're an accomplished sound designer. Smile The Kronos manuals are not bad. They go into more walk throughs than a lot of others I've seen. But, yes, they don't do step by steps for everything.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

You should give a look at this excellent tuto by our friend Qui Robinez :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt_L_mm9-CQ&t=134s
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1. All of Qui Robinez’s Kronos videos are worth a watch or 3. Smile

Just another thought. If you enjoy working with step sequencers, it might be worth looking into an external USB/MIDI sequencer, such as the Korg SQ1 or the Arturia Beatstep Pro, for example. I use the BSP which has 2 melodic step sequencers and a drum sequencer. Having tactile, real time control over notes, note lengths, step on/off, etc. really increases the joy of working with a step sequencer by quite a bit.

I finally got around to connecting my BSP up to the Kronos yesterday. I think they are going to be a beautiful combo.
VICTOR KENNEDY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions people. I do in deed intend to explore the Qui tutorials. The couple I've watched seem to require that you also use his 'SoundPacks' for the exercises, because I couldn't find the patches he was using. This seems a bit limiting, and his online shop is closed for repairs so no buying possible atm.

One dumb question here...how do I call up the various synth engines in Kronos without needing to call up then edit/save an existing synth program,?

BeatStepPro looks interesting. I just watched a few tube demos of it.

I must say here that I'm not doing DJ style / and/or dance music per se, even though by nature these elements will be present in this new realm of my creativity.

I'm more interested in the flexibility of step sequencing for using as an integral part of playing live, usually with a band.

With BSP would I be able to have it playing what I've programmed it to do, triggering a sound/sounds from within the Kronos, with me at the same time playing for example a Piano or other Synth part 'live', along with BSP?

Also, from what I've seen so far, Kronos step sequencer allows me to eg: play the seq from 'C' note, triggering that seq, then playing 'Eb' note which will trigger same seq but from a different 'root pitch'. Is this correct?
How would I do this using BSP? It appears that you need at least 2 fingers/hands in order to change the seq being played from BSP, or is there a more streamlined way, even possibly chaining BSP sequences into a whole 'Song'?

So many questions, so much to learn, and this after decades of twiddling. Maybe I should explore the Kronos' step/wave/ sequencing features a bit before rushing off to spend more money from my dwindling reserves. I've just forked out on a new Allen+heath Qu-16 mixer/AD interface, which I as yet haven't given a workout.

That said, I'm very tempted by the hands on nature of BSP. I just don't want to spend on something that I find won't do what I expected it to.
VICTOR KENNEDY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS...I should add that I do have a MicroKorg which has an arpeggiator on board, so I'll grab that back from my drummer and see how I can't integrate it into the Kronos system.
VICTOR KENNEDY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PPS...does BSP have a Tap Tempo function for using with live players?
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the BSP quite a bit with VSTs and modular synths, but am just now getting it hooked up to the Kronos. So I don't know all the Kronos integration specifics yet. A basic test of connecting it up to the USB A port on the Kronos worked great.

In general, it's a pretty powerful device. Each sequencer (two melodic + drum) have a configurable MIDI channel. So should be possible to have it trigger the same sound as the internal keyboard or different.

There are several ways you could change the root key of a pattern. One is by holding down a sequencer button and pressing one of the note pads, and it will transpose the pattern to that key. That might require two hands or at least a pretty good finger stretch.

But there are other methods. For example, if you needed 3 different root keys you could save the original in pattern 1. Then transpose it using the method above and save it as pattern 2, then again and save in pattern 3. Then the 3 different patterns can be recalled by pressing the sequencer button and the pattern number. Again, might require two hands or a stretch.

Once you've save them you can sequence the patterns. E.g. Pattern 1 2 2 3 1 and it will loop those.

Or you can transpose it with an external keyboard controller (quite possibly the Kronos itself - haven't tried yet). So lots of flexibility.

Yes, it does have a tap tempo, or can receive MIDI clock (and therefore tempo) from regular MIDI, USB MIDI, or CV from a modular. I'm still looking into having it follow Kronos tempo. Smile

No clue whether it would be a good investment for you personally or not. You can get a lot done internally within the Kronos for sure. If you want to work with this kind of thing a lot and want live hands on control over it, I think it might be a good add. I'll try to post some more reports after I've tried out various configurations. One thing I'm interested in it for is having it sequence the drum track in the Kronos - make it easier to build up custom patterns.
VICTOR KENNEDY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll find this post helpful...

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=105765&highlight=change+startup+kronos

Also this tube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgEByCYvdDI

Today i will explore the Kronos a bit more, but BSP is on my radar and already drawing from my bank account I'd say.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: