Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Triggering Samples from External Source

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yawnthepost

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Triggering Samples from External Source Reply with quote

I have searched relentlessly for an answer to this - I want a means of triggering samples on the Kronos externally - eg from something like a nanopad - so, for example, while not at the keyboard I can hit a pad, or similar device and the sample plays, or loops until hit again. The more samples I can trigger the better, but I need to trigger at least 8 without returning to any device to make changes.

I usually organise my sounds through song mode, with different midi channels assigned to different voices, including at least one (but usually more) for the sampler.

Is there a device I can use to trigger samples organised in this way?

Any help, particularly hardware recommendations, appreciated, particularly hardware that does not rely on a computer for setup.

Andrew
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tldr: Make the samples into programs and assign them to the PADs to be triggered by the Nanopad.

Here's how I trigger samples remotely from my FCB1010.

1) Convert the sample into a program. "Convert MS to program" found from upper right drop down menu. See Dave's tutorial, especially around the 19:00 minute mark.
2) Put the program into a combi/song.
3) Put each of these programs into its own limited keyboard range, maybe even one sample per keyboard note.
4) Assign up to 8 of those notes/programs to the PADs.
5) GLOBAL: Assign the pads to be triggered by the lowest note unused MIDI notes. (C-1, C#-1, etc).
6) GLOBAL: FCB1010 has one bank where 8 footswitches are dedicated to those unused MIDI notes.
7) Play programs/chords/samples with feet.

In your case where you want certain samples to continue playing, there is an option under the program's Common=> Program Basic => Key Zone to check a box labeled "HOLD" that makes the program play indefinitely. You may need to group these type of samples into one multisample program, and make the program monophonic so it cuts off the last sample.
yawnthepost

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s a brilliant answer - I didn’t consider foot pedals, and this looks perfect. Many, many thanks.
mikelees

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way to keep samples (or any program that loops, like pad sounds etc.) playing with the Nanopad is to use the Korg nano-control software to set one or more of the top 8 pads on the Nanopad to toggle mode, then you can hit the pad once to start the loop, and once again to stop. Toggle mode on the Nanopad still works when used with Kronos.

I usually have the first 4 pads on the Nanopad in toggle mode for drones in various keys.
yawnthepost

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is helpful, thanks. I’m away from home for a couple of weeks so can’t get at my Kronos - could you confirm that you can use a Nanopad to trigger samples - if so, is this done by assigning a midi channel and note on the Nanopad? Your help is really appreciated.
mikelees

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes - you can use a Nanopad to trigger samples. As per psionic311's reply, you have to first load the samples into a program.
Each program or combi has 8 chord pads, which can be triggered by either touching the chord pad on the screen, or from an external controller like the Nanopad. See the Kronos Operation Guide page 39 for details of how to set up chord pads. You can assign up to 8 notes to be played when a chord pad is hit, and you can assign the midi channel of each chord pad.

When you plug a Nanopad into the Kronos, the top 8 pads are automatically assigned to the 8 chord pads in the Program or Combi. The remaining 8 pads retain whatever assignment you make on the Nanopad using the Korg nano-control software.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikelees wrote:
Another way to keep samples (or any program that loops, like pad sounds etc.) playing with the Nanopad is to use the Korg nano-control software to set one or more of the top 8 pads on the Nanopad to toggle mode, then you can hit the pad once to start the loop, and once again to stop. Toggle mode on the Nanopad still works when used with Kronos.

I usually have the first 4 pads on the Nanopad in toggle mode for drones in various keys.

great tip!

i didn't know this Very Happy

I'm using the method described by psionic311, but this method is even better.
yawnthepost

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikelees wrote:

Yes - you can use a Nanopad to trigger samples. As per psionic311's reply, you have to first load the samples into a program.

Thanks - again, very helpful. Could you also tell me whether the nanopad can trigger samples when the Kronos is in song mode - I find this the most practical way of playing live.

Can you also confirm that the Nanopad can be set up with the Kronos without a computer - I need this to be completely self-standing.

I’m learning a lot here!
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to setup the Nanopad with a computer once. Then, use the Kronos to set what the pad triggers. The top row of pads is default to the Kronos pads. The bottom row can be programed as to what channel and what note each pad plays.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
yawnthepost

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:
You need to setup the Nanopad with a computer once. Then, use the Kronos to set what the pad triggers. The top row of pads is default to the Kronos pads. The bottom row can be programed as to what channel and what note each pad plays.

Geo

Thanks - but just so I fully understand - after one setup on a computer it is possible to use all the pads on the Nanopad to trigger samples AND reassign them without returning to the computer to do so?

Many thanks.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I us the top row for pads, I haven’t looked into changing those. The lower row can be set to any note and any channel. Once the pad is programmed, you assign the pads with the Kronos by selecting what happens when a pad is pushed. In other words, if the first pad on the bottom row was set to note C2 on MIDI channel 3, then set a timber in a combi to channel 3 and adjust the transposition so the sample lines up with C2.

The Nano pad also has four scenes, meaning you have 4 different setups.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
yawnthepost

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Geo for your clear and helpful replies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: