Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA 1000 vs 700 sound quality
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vkhandelwal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject: PA 700 VS 1000 Reply with quote

I compared and went with PA7000 as the features which are there on PA 1000 with the price difference were not of use for me.

Extra power in speaker ( I do not use inbuilt speakers)
Extra Piano samples ( I use kronos excellent pianos)
Tilt screen ( not of much use)
TC helicon ( does not use microphone so of no use )
extra sample memory( again with kronos that was irrelevant)

Also I did not like the keybed ( almost similar to PA700 though bit more firm ))and glossy buttons on PA1000

Hoping to have fun with my PA700
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Essential features - Pa1000 Reply with quote

adimatis wrote:
.. you pay more for extra features, but in my opinion they are not essential ..

Except the more extensive equipment IMHO the most important difference between Pa700 and Pa1000 is the aftertouch keyboard.

The more options available for an electronic keyboard to intervene sound of instruments, the more expressive and nuanced the instrument will sound.

Just as Footswitches, Pedals, Joysticks, Wheels and Assignable Switches improve the possibilities and musical characteristics of a keyboard, this is all the more possible with aftertouch. For the achievable effects both hands can play continuously without interruption on the keyboard, because no additional control element must be pressed for it.

Unfortunately, "classically trained pianists" often have no sympathy for the controls of synthesizers and keyboards - as they have been known since the DX7. The same applies to the hobby musicians who have never seriously tried to learn the intuitive expressions with aftertouch, whose handling is absolutely not comparable with the use of wheels, pedals or joysticks - if you master aftertouch to use properly it really is essential.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst the 1000 is great the extra sounds, amp power and Vocoder to me do not justify the hike in price.

I have a 700 and love it, I have not yet found it lacking in the sounds available, yes the styles are lacking, but there is always MIDI import.

As it is if I wanted to upgrade I would bypass the 1000 and go for a 4X since that is way better
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Pa1000 vs Pa700 - different features Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:
... I would bypass the 1000 and go for a 4X since that is way better ..

The Pa1000 is about 55% more expensive than the Pa700, the Pa4x is 65% more expensive than the Pa1000, etc.

The price differences arise due to different equipment of each model. But it does not make sense to compare exclusively whether the sound of an expensive device justifies the higher price, because it is much more important to determine whether the two devices also have the same equipment.

But as soon as you do not need the equipment of the expensive device, because for example the extra features are covered individually by separate devices, then the question of a comparison does not arise.

If the expensive device is much more expensive because of its separate equipment, which is not needed at all, why should you make a comparison at all?

Price-based comparisons only make sense for comparable instruments - and the equipment and performance of a device is one of the most important criteria.

If Aftertouch, AmpPower, Vocoder, Sampler, Dual Sequencer, Extra PianoSamples and SampleMemory are not of use for someone needs - it would never make any sense to buy an expensive Pa1000 instead of a Pa700.
On the other hand, if one can use the equipment of a Pa1000 enough for his needs, he never would think to buy a Pa4x instead of a Pa1000. If one absolutely need an internal amplifier with speakers and 2x33W are sufficient for him, why he should buy a Pa4x with separately amplifier and speakers? So in total Pa4x including PaAs is 88% more expensive than Pa1000 - and so it is not surprising to argue Pa4x would be way better, but not suitable for a direct comparison.

So really everyone would have to know what equipment he needs - and then it only makes sense to compare what really is comparable.
Back to the input thread - "PA 1000 vs 700 sound quality" - best answer you got from PhilC:

PhilC wrote:
.. There are a few more sounds on the PA 1000 but quality is the same. The difference is mostly in the "features". ..

Except the more extensive equipment IMHO the most important difference between Pa700 and Pa1000 is the aftertouch keyboard - so Pa700 CAN NOT SOUND WITH EFFECTED AFTERTOUCH through keyboard-usage as known since DX7-times.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
kathnrich1

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pa600fan wrote:
Agreed. PA700 is a MASSIVE improvement on the PA600. The increased the wave rom for sounds from 256mb to 1gb... that is more than even tyros 5 which is said to be around 760mb. Huge improvement on speakers. MASSIVE improvment on screen which is now like pa4x. 3 new buttons to control sound dynamics. Kaoss function. Alot more drum kits. And more.... korg really gives u a new keyboard where yamaha gives not much more each time. So this pa700 sound quality i believe is superior to pa900 and pa3x.

Not sure what you guys are talking about but all websites say 256meg memory not one gig. yes, you can put an SD card in for extra memory storage but not 1 gb of wave or sounds.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not buy a PA1000, I would save some more and get a PA4X instead.
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kathnrich1 wrote:
pa600fan wrote:
Agreed. PA700 is a MASSIVE improvement on the PA600. The increased the wave rom for sounds from 256mb to 1gb... that is more than even tyros 5 which is said to be around 760mb. Huge improvement on speakers. MASSIVE improvment on screen which is now like pa4x. 3 new buttons to control sound dynamics. Kaoss function. Alot more drum kits. And more.... korg really gives u a new keyboard where yamaha gives not much more each time. So this pa700 sound quality i believe is superior to pa900 and pa3x.

Not sure what you guys are talking about but all websites say 256meg memory not one gig. yes, you can put an SD card in for extra memory storage but not 1 gb of wave or sounds.

Pa700 has ~1,006,000,000 bytes rom sample data. So yes 1Gb is correct statement.
It really does have 1Gb of rom sample data which is massive compared to 256Mb in pa300/pa600 ,512Mb in pa900 ,256Mb compressed in pa3x and 576Mb in pa3xle....
Despite all the specs though..File/sample sizes have nothing to do with sound quality..I can fill you 1gb of samples with badly sampled instruments leaving them with full release and can also use less than 100Mb of space with careful sampling and looping which will sound way better...But here as we are talking about 1)same generation of instruments and 2)most probably same sound engineer behind the banks , the sound should have been way better in pa1000 if it really has 2Gb of rom (never had a 1000 in my lab to check/confirm) but it isn't...Maybe what they have added in 1000 are bigger samples (physical release) and some new instruments that may not exist in pa700 (haven't checked the full Multisample list)..If thats the case , it will add realism when holding notes ,not when playing fast...
I prefer playing on tha pa700 than my pa4x as it has inbuilt speakers and is lightweight but when i want to make something serious (where i need the extra power of pa4x like the effects ,the separate outputs ,ec5, sliders etc) i am taking out the pa4x...
In my opinion Pa1000 definitely has its place in the market especially for those who need the extra ram space and the keybed aftertouch but still want a lightweight keyboard with inbuilt speakers or just don't want to pay extra for things they will never use in pa4x.

Korg keyboards owned now: PA5X 61 ,PA300, Triton extreme 61, Korg 707, Trinity plus
kathnrich1

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:22 am    Post subject: Pa4x or PA-1000? Reply with quote

musiccankill wrote:
kathnrich1 wrote:
pa600fan wrote:

Pa700 has ~1,006,000,000 bytes rom sample data. So yes 1Gb is correct statement.
It really does have 1Gb of rom sample data which is massive compared to 256Mb in pa300/pa600 ,512Mb in pa900 ,256Mb compressed in pa3x and 576Mb in pa3xle....
Despite all the specs though..File/sample sizes have nothing to do with sound quality..I can fill you 1gb of samples with badly sampled instruments leaving them with full release and can also use less than 100Mb of space with careful sampling and looping which will sound way better...But here as we are talking about 1)same generation of instruments and 2)most probably same sound engineer behind the banks , the sound should have been way better in pa1000 if it really has 2Gb of rom (never had a 1000 in my lab to check/confirm) but it isn't...Maybe what they have added in 1000 are bigger samples (physical release) and some new instruments that may not exist in pa700 (haven't checked the full Multisample list)..If thats the case , it will add realism when holding notes ,not when playing fast...
I prefer playing on tha pa700 than my pa4x as it has inbuilt speakers and is lightweight but when i want to make something serious (where i need the extra power of pa4x like the effects ,the separate outputs ,ec5, sliders etc) i am taking out the pa4x...
In my opinion Pa1000 definitely has its place in the market especially for those who need the extra ram space and the keybed aftertouch but still want a lightweight keyboard with inbuilt speakers or just don't want to pay extra for things they will never use in pa4x.

I was going to purchase the PA-1000 but hate the 61 keys. Was then going to purchase the pa4x because of the 76 keys. HATE 61 key machines
kathnrich1

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Pa4x or PA-1000? Reply with quote

kathnrich1 wrote:
musiccankill wrote:
kathnrich1 wrote:
pa600fan wrote:

I was going to purchase the PA-1000 but hate the 61 keys. Was then going to purchase the pa4x because of the 76 keys. HATE 61 key machines
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Pa4x or PA-1000? Reply with quote

kathnrich1 wrote:
musiccankill wrote:
kathnrich1 wrote:
pa600fan wrote:

This is just a personal preference though..It doesn't have to do with sound quality , or quality in general...
As much as you prefer 76keys, i prefer 61 ,lightweight and with internal speakers!These does not mean that any keyboard that matches these is better than another soundwise or in quality in general!
Pa4x 76 is a great machine (of course better than 1000 as it is its big brother)!Great choise!Hope you enjoy it as much as all of us who already own it do!!

Korg keyboards owned now: PA5X 61 ,PA300, Triton extreme 61, Korg 707, Trinity plus
NativeAngels
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very happy with the Pa700 having had one since first release.

Like every keyboard when you get it out of the box, it will have a flat sound to start with. I'm still tweaking the eq settings on mine.

You can just touch the surface or start digging your will get some great results.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the best of both worlds.

A PA700 and a Kross 2 both for more or less the same cost as a PA1000.

So I just do not see that the 1000 gives anywhere near the vfm on its own as I have with two keyboards.

You want better piano sounds then install Reubens.

You want TC Helican then add in a standalone unit.

More and more sounds are becoming available to install that makes the 700 the sweet spot in the range.

Plus it and the 1000 is soon to get Osimo so again that offers a vast extra array of customised styles and sounds.
kathnrich1

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Pa4x or PA-1000? Reply with quote

musiccankill wrote:
kathnrich1 wrote:
musiccankill wrote:
kathnrich1 wrote:
pa600fan wrote:

This is just a personal preference though..It doesn't have to do with sound quality , or quality in general...
As much as you prefer 76keys, i prefer 61 ,lightweight and with internal speakers!These does not mean that any keyboard that matches these is better than another soundwise or in quality in general!
Pa4x 76 is a great machine (of course better than 1000 as it is its big brother)!Great choise!Hope you enjoy it as much as all of us who already own it do!!

Great advice TY!
kathnrich1

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Pa4x or PA-1000? Reply with quote

musiccankill wrote:
kathnrich1 wrote:
musiccankill wrote:
kathnrich1 wrote:
pa600fan wrote:

Great advice,,,TY
keyboards: Korg Karma, Nord Electro 73, Kronos 73, Kronos 61, Ensoniq MR-76
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:
I would not buy a PA1000, I would save some more and get a PA4X instead.

I went with the PA1000. Much better for me than PA4X.

23.7 lbs, complete. Toss it up on a stand, plug it in, turn it on, start playing. Great for quick "unplugged" rehearsals/jams with singers and acoustic guitar players, and the wedding ceremony and cocktail hour stuff I do solo or duo.

PA4X is 7 lbs more and I'd have to add the weight and setup time of a separate amplifier. And for what? For the things I need to do, it doesn't do anything I can't do on the PA1000. 76 keys would be nice, but then I'd be up at an even less manageable 36 lbs plus amp. If I were willing to deal with the extra weight and setup time, I already had other keyboards I could use. The main reason I looked at the PA1000 in the first place was to find something light that had powerful enough built-in speakers that I could be set up and ready to play in about a minute. I'll use it for other things too, but one of the things that was important to me was that it fill this role. It's not perfect... I wish it were still a bit lighter, and booted faster, and had more than 61 keys, but this was the closest thing I could find to what I needed. (And I like boards that have easy ability to switch among my favorite patches on the fly, too.)

For me, the premium price of the PA1000 over the PA700 was worth it just for the beefier speakers, better feeling keys, and aftertouch. Yeah, it's a lot to pay for just those things, but those things make a big difference for me in its usability and how much I'd enjoy it, and fortunately I can afford the difference. But the fact that everyone's needs are different is why they make all these models.

ETA: I think the tilt screen of the 1000 over the 700 could come in handy too, especially since I will sometimes be using it outdoors, and I've had significant screen visibility issues on other touchscreen boards outdoors, where I think angling it could have really helped. Also if I ever use it as the top board of a 2-board stack.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: