Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Kronos 61 + Yamaha CP 33

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Virko

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Korg Kronos 61 + Yamaha CP 33 Reply with quote

Hi there!

Due to fact that I my main keyboard is Kronos, and whole giging set up is based on kronos, my Yamaha CP33 stage piano is used just as midi controler for playing piano (but Kronos piano).
Midi channel that I use for Yamaha is midi channel no.2.
When I put omni mode on the yamaha, all sound that I play on the kronos I can play on the yamaha and they sound equal (by the quality etc), but when I open midi channel No. 2 just to send kronos piano to play with CP33 the sound that I get is horrible, it is not good at all as it is on the Kronos.

So, my question is, is it possible that yamaha has so bad filters that affects so bad on the kronos piano or I did something wrong with midi hooking up?

I forgot to mention that when I do the same thing with novation impulse controler instead yamaha, everything went as it should be....the piano sound then is the same as it on kronos....

Sorry for long thread but I'm really in panic due the fact that I bought Yamaha just to have good piano midi controler and now I cannot set it up wright!

p.s. I did already factory reset on the Cp33 when I bought it!

Thanks for the help in advance!

Regards
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setting the Yamaha to Omni, only affects the RECIEVE of the Yamaha. It should have no bearing on the transmitting MIDI. Do you have two MIDI cables? Are you also sending MIDI from thew Kronos to the Yamaha?

I think more details are needed.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you set “Omni” on Yamaha?

Try Setting Kronos in Global mode. Set Kronos to Auto-Midi instead of just internal or external. Some times that helps when mid clock is part of parameters that shape the sound. It can also become a problem if you use it because it may follow midi clock of yamaha when you want midi clock of Kronos. Auto midi works for me when i have in & out midi both connected between two devices.

If Kronos global midi is on Channel 1 or any channel other than channel 2, there will be issues bridging various midi messages between kronos and yamaha.

Omni channel is basically all channels transmiting. If you are not on omni channel, you have to set kronos to channel 2 and set Yamaha to channel 2.

I use a combi so that i can leave kronos global midi channel on 1 and then i can set a combi timbre to EXT+ midi channel 2 or any other channel i like.

Omni channel lets you use any channel you want on kronos, but if you set yamaha to 2, you have to be sure kronos midi channel is also set to 2.

Midi channel can be set in global or done through timbre/track parameters. It depends on how isolated you want you midi messages to be as you switch programs or involve karma and external devices.
Virko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
So you set “Omni” on Yamaha?

Omni channel is basically all channels transmiting. If you are not on omni channel, you have to set kronos to channel 2 and set Yamaha to channel 2.

I use a combi so that i can leave kronos global midi channel on 1 and then i can set a combi timbre to EXT+ midi channel 2 or any other channel i like.

Thanks guys for prompt reply!

I manage to resolve the problem but spent whole night:)

Forgot to mention in tread above that I play kronos for about 2-3 years and everything on it is set due to midi connections (timbar ext etc).
Due the fact that I changed my second keyboard (Yamaha s90es to CP33) everything should be almost the same with it. All I need to do is open midi channel on yamaha and that it.
But in this case it wasn't....

At the end I set yamaha in a way to turned off all yamaha rom sounds and memorize it as one of the user... in this case when I want to use Yamaha just like a midi controler I just call up user on the yamaha and that is all.

Furthermorer, when I want to play rom sound from yamaha I just hit the other memorized user combination where the all connection from Kronos-Yamaha are stopped. In that way I can play separately sounds just on the yamaha.

The third combination that I will try to set it up today will be layering sounds from yamaha and kronos....

Just to mention that cp33 is not simple like s90es due to editing etc...it has no big screen so everthing is limited..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: