Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KRONOS Basic Step Sequencing Tutorial needed
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links!

Ha, well I hope I did not encourage the depletion of your bank account. I can say I definitely enjoy my Beatstep Pro and have made good music with it, and hope I can get it to integrate fully with the Kronos. Like clock sync, and I'd like to even try to use the control mode to trigger the K's chord pads.

Like any step sequencer, t does tend to get marketed toward a DJ/dance music audience, which is not really me so much. But it's just a tool, and a very flexible one. I've found ways to make it fit and be useful across a lot of different genres.

I really like the way they have done the randomization and probability on it. You can make it go crazy, but also dial it down to where it's very subtle and just kind of keeps a pattern from getting stale and boring when repeated over and over.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VICTOR KENNEDY wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions people. I do in deed intend to explore the Qui tutorials. The couple I've watched seem to require that you also use his 'SoundPacks' for the exercises, because I couldn't find the patches he was using. This seems a bit limiting

That's odd, as far as i know i only have one tutorial with custom sounds, where i show how to use the Ableton Live Push. But all the Kronos tutorials (except one) should use factory presets (based on the Kronos 1 and X), for the kronos 2, the locations are of course different due to the fact that korg decided to move all the programs to different banks.

there is one tutorial (Korg Kronos Tutorial: 08 Using Existing KARMA Modules) where i show how to copy KARMA modules between different kind of sounds, but this is because i show how to use my KARMA patterns on factory sounds. In that case i use a free sound set from my site called analog hypnotics which can easely be added to your own kronos.

There are 12 !!! free sound sets for the korg kronos on my site, so lot's of materials to discover, because most of them have KARMA patterns programmed in them.

Which tutorials do you refer to?
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really looking forward to trying out your banks, Qui!

VICTOR KENNEDY wrote:

I'm more interested in the flexibility of step sequencing for using as an integral part of playing live, usually with a band.

I don't have a specific need to do this kind of thing right now, but I am on a mission to fully understand the Kronos, and your questions have been intriguing. I tried out a few of the options I've suggested here and in the other thread and thought I'd share my thoughts on them.

Internal Step Sequencer
Pros: I think this one meets the goal as you've described it pretty well. You can define a pretty long sequence and it transposes across the keyboard.

Cons: This one also seems to me one of the most time consuming to set up since it's patch-level programming. Not sure if you're trying to do this as an improv kind of thing, or how much you need to change the pattern (more than just transpose) on the fly, like for improv. If so that could be restrictive.

Hold Delay (Audio Looper)
Pros: This one was the most "immediate" of anything I tried. I had it rigged up to where when I held down the sustain pedal (expression switch), it would start recording, and when I released it would immediately play back that loop. SW1 (set to momentary) was set up to clear the loop. So really easy to record a little loop and then 30 seconds later, erase it and record another for immediate playback. You can also layer on top of the existing loop.

Cons: The recorded loop seemed to lose a little volume. I suppose you could add another effect for some make up gain though. There was really no good way to transpose it to a new root key other than reset and record a new loop. I tried rigging up a Pitch Shift effect in the chain and controlling its transpose parameter with Note Number. This kind of worked, but I could not get it to transpose to where one key=1 semitone, so it was difficult to control exactly. Also the pitch shifter caused loss of audio quality. Loop length max is ~5.5 seconds - a couple of measures.

RPPR
Pros: It looks a little intimidating at first but is actually super easy to use. I got the hang of it really quickly. Riffs up to 100 measures long. It does not automatically transpose across the keyboard, but once you've recorded your phrase, you can copy/paste it to new slots and there's a transpose parameter for each. So really fast to, for example, map it to 3 note keys and have C# be the riff on the root, D be the same riff transposed up to the 4th, D# be transposed to the 5th. You also have 100 user patterns to work with so not only can you transpose, but you can have different keys play back a completely different pattern, and you can direct different patterns at different instruments even. A lot of flexibility with latching and synchronization.

Cons: Not quite as immediate as the hold delay, but still pretty speedy to set up once you get the hang of it. You lose the first octave or so on the left of an 88 to a "rppr off" function (why on earth did they do this?). Then as you add more key mappings, you start losing more keys to actually use for standard play. I guess with 88 keys most of the time it's not a huge problem... I think this only works in SEQ mode, and not PROG or COMBI mode. I think the min pattern length is 1 measure.

Anyway, hope this helps. I learned a lot. Smile
VICTOR KENNEDY

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for these great explanations and walk throughs of the various methods Lightbringer.

I'm currently distracted from the Kronos by attempting to get my A+H Qu-16 mixer / interface working, but am having major issues with the OS X and distortion on playback.
Because of this I'm in 'split' mode re tech issues, but fully intend to work through your exercise and see what i come up with.

I shall report back, hopefully during the coming week sometime, and let you know what i discovered.

Thanks again...
iMAC OSX 10.11.3, 3.4 GHz i7, 12 GB Ram | MacBookPro OSX 10.10, 2.5Ghz, 16GB Ram | A+H Qu16 | ProTools 12.6 | Korg Kronos2 61 | MicroKorg | N.I. Komplete - Kontrol | Alesis DM10 | Avid Eleven Rack | Slate VMS One | Fender, Maton, Epiphone Guitars |Allen+Heath Qu-16 | Etc Etc...
VICTOR KENNEDY

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuiRobinez wrote:
VICTOR KENNEDY wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions people. I do in deed intend to explore the Qui tutorials. The couple I've watched seem to require that you also use his 'SoundPacks' for the exercises, because I couldn't find the patches he was using. This seems a bit limiting

That's odd, as far as i know i only have one tutorial with custom sounds, where i show how to use the Ableton Live Push. But all the Kronos tutorials (except one) should use factory presets (based on the Kronos 1 and X), for the kronos 2, the locations are of course different due to the fact that korg decided to move all the programs to different banks.

there is one tutorial (Korg Kronos Tutorial: 08 Using Existing KARMA Modules) where i show how to copy KARMA modules between different kind of sounds, but this is because i show how to use my KARMA patterns on factory sounds. In that case i use a free sound set from my site called analog hypnotics which can easely be added to your own kronos.

There are 12 !!! free sound sets for the korg kronos on my site, so lot's of materials to discover, because most of them have KARMA patterns programmed in them.

Thanks for your reply Qui. I find the few tutorials of your that I've seen so far as being very helpful.

Regarding the Kronos banks and file structure I suppose I need to study that in more depth, as you say that all soundbanks are already onboard the Kronos.
I will look through the tutes and let you know which one it is that I couldn't find the sounds for. It was possibly my error in not understanding the filing system.

Also, is your shop currently online for purchasing soundsets etc?

Many thanks...
iMAC OSX 10.11.3, 3.4 GHz i7, 12 GB Ram | MacBookPro OSX 10.10, 2.5Ghz, 16GB Ram | A+H Qu16 | ProTools 12.6 | Korg Kronos2 61 | MicroKorg | N.I. Komplete - Kontrol | Alesis DM10 | Avid Eleven Rack | Slate VMS One | Fender, Maton, Epiphone Guitars |Allen+Heath Qu-16 | Etc Etc...
VICTOR KENNEDY

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuiRobinez wrote:
VICTOR KENNEDY wrote:

Thanks Qui, but I'm not sure about this...if Korg have moved all the sound banks how do we find the sounds that you refer to in your tutorials?

It may seem a silly question, but the fact is that although I'm experienced in many areas of music-tech issues, I'm finding the Kronos User Manual very circuitous and often when I do a Google search for specific functional instructions there is not a lot available for some of the basic stuff.
VICTOR KENNEDY

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Qui, I just went through your Wave Sequencing tutorial and found it very helpful.

I've yet to fine tune the 'glitchy' xfades etc but at least I now have the basic idea and how to use it.

I'm still confused with the whole soundbank organisation though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: