Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos screen dead...need help from a Kronos expert
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mm-pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Kronos screen dead...need help from a Kronos expert Reply with quote

No word from KorgUS “support” after three days.

My gigging Kronos’ screen failed. Totally black. In desperation because I have gigs upcoming and no Korg service center in my area that has less than a month turn-around, I bought a new one. Now, I am trying to get samples and set lists from the old one to the new one. I thought I could just pull the old drive, use a Sata to usb enclosure and transfer data, but no, they have changed the HD format and the new Kronos doesn’t read the old drive and sees it as unformatted. Urggghhh. I have some data saved from last year on a USB stick, but now I am realizing after buying a second instrument for $3000, that I also have to repurchase $1500 worth of sample library. I also have no idea how to bring my old programs, setlists and combis into the new one without overwriting the new improved content that is already there.

I would be willing to pay someone that could talk me through some solutions to my various problems. Anyone here interested?

TIA!

Last edited by mm-pro on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an experience. Change like this is tough

Lets take 1 thing at a time;

why not find/call your local Korg service center for your old K ?

I dislike Korgs policy about the 3rd party sample libs. You might be able to work thru that with help from a service center.
mm-pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have called three local service centers, all have told me they can’t even bench it for three or four weeks. So, with gigs coming up, I need to find a solution on my own, apparently.
mm-pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, their customer support is totally web based. I am starting to regret trusting the company with my livelihood.

The sample library restriction is draconian. I don’t know how they expect touring musician’s to spec Kronos on their riders, when you can’t move your libraries to rental machines.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos screen dead...need help from a Kronos expert Reply with quote

mm-pro wrote:
I thought I could just pull the old drive, use a Sata to usb enclosure and transfer data,
but no, they have changed the HD format and the new Kronos doesn’t read the old drive and sees it as unformatted.

Your old Kronos has a PSU issue , simple to be repaired by experienced technician/E. engineer !
Kronos OS always sees a second boot SSD as unformatted !
You can replace your new Kronos SSD with this and re-authorize Kronos via official Korg registration
and recover your previous Setup !
You can also explore and copy "HD" data via a Linux OS or utility/boot-CD.
If this seems complicated for you , I can help you recover your whole setup with sending me (via express post office) your old
Kronos SSD and I will sent you recovered data via my server (You will lost your SSD though ).
In this case PM me your E-mail address or use my official website E-mails.

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V

Last edited by AntonySharmman on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm-pro wrote:
Also, their customer support is totally web based. I am starting to regret trusting the company with my livelihood.

The sample library restriction is draconian. I don’t know how they expect touring musician’s to spec Kronos on their riders, when you can’t move your libraries to rental machines.

I would be upset if in your situation
we have discussed these issues thoroughly for almost 7 years here.

Since gigging keyboardists are 100% reliant on their K, we have often said it almost is a necessity to have 2 K's. It sounds crazy but it seems like the only insurance policy.

we have discussed how folks can plan - depending on your complexity, a 2nd board of some quality is a must. It sounds counter intuitive, maybe a Krome
might be a decent backup plan.

Sorry to say, don't count on Korg to read these posts. I think not having user support is a big mistake.

Roland , for example, as I understand, has really stepped up to the plate on service. You can actually get Roland on the phone and have a good talk.
This does not help you today, I know.
mm-pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos screen dead...need help from a Kronos expert Reply with quote

Anthony, that’s very helpful. I will try a HD swap. I wasn’t aware that a second boot drive was always seen as unformatted.

AntonySharmman wrote:

Kronos OS always sees a second boot SSD as unformatted !
You can replace your new Kronos SSD with this and re-authorize Kronos via official Korg registration
and recover your previous Setup !
Hope this helps

mm-pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yes this seems to be my plan at this moment. Two Kronos’ with matching sample libraries, as painful on the pocket as that will be.

GregC wrote:

Since gigging keyboardists are 100% reliant on their K, we have often said it almost is a necessity to have 2 K's. It sounds crazy but it seems like the only insurance policy.

mm-pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos screen dead...need help from a Kronos expert Reply with quote

Everything else on the Kronos works except for the screen, so I think it is more likely a display board failure. I am going to drop it off tomorrow at a service center and won’t know the final verdict for 30 days.

AntonySharmman wrote:

Your old Kronos has a PSU issue , simple to be repaired by experienced technician/E. engineer !

AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed , there was no clarification , only a complete blank screen is PSU issue , now you have screen's LEDs or driver issue.
Almost rare hardware fail for Kronos !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently, my K61 had a problem where the screen would go out from the vibration of playing. This happened at church! I took it home, removed the bottom and pushed tight every connector. It hasn’t gone out since. I also bought a second K61(2).

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
Xenophile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that opening it up and re-seating all the connectors is a good idea.
I wonder if this Kronos Remote iPad app might be a work-around for a dead display? http://www.kronos-remote.com/
mm-pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already did the connector check. The app won’t work on my old Kronos because I never updated to 3.xx. I am actually having difficulty using it with the new one, it doesn’t seem to sync successfully.

Xenophile wrote:
I agree that opening it up and re-seating all the connectors is a good idea.
I wonder if this Kronos Remote iPad app might be a work-around for a dead display? http://www.kronos-remote.com/

mm-pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the new Kronos about 98% ready for gigging. I had an archive on my computer from playing around with the FTP server, so my custom samples and most of my setlists have been restored. Thanks for letting me steam a little as I got it all back under control...I was feeling a little desperate for a while.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm-pro wrote:
I have the new Kronos about 98% ready for gigging.
Nice to hear that ... Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: