Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prologue takes best in show Namm 18!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John01W
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:26 am    Post subject: Prologue takes best in show Namm 18! Reply with quote

megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Work Korg! I mean, there are going to be people who will say blahblah should have got it, but I think Korg delivered a great crown for their new line of synthesisers and it's pretty much ready to ship. Nobody else really had that this year, not even those who's products were announced at NAMM 2017.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No surprises there. Great package, great demos, no messing by Korg.
thehighesttree
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was so much great gear that I wouldn't necessarily say it was the best. For my purposes, it's actually spec'd far worse than the Monologue! Without a sequencer, Motion sequencing and aftertouch, it's a bit of a turd honestly. Other than 6 voices and the difference of actual analog tone, feature-wise an AN1x kicks its ass all day as a digital/analog synth.

They shouldn't be positioning this as a flagship: I know they don't wanna cannibalize their sales between products, but a flagship should never be missing core product-line features the way they stripped the Prologue's sequencer. The sequencing (ESPECIALLY MOTION SEQUENCING) defined the product line.

The only thing I can't comment to so whether it's that much more complex/costly to apply these features to the 16-voice analog architecture...maybe it is! I'm not sure, but if it would've added $500 to the price tag, maybe I should just be happy they were able to put a 16-voice synth together with discrete analog circuitry, customizable digital osc. and some other nice goodies for $2000 USD.

Still, a 64-step polyphonic sequencer with (say, 4 instances of) motion recording and a 3-parameter-assignable aftertouch at $2500 would've been a fair bit sexier IMO. I'm not really the intended market for this thing though...I guess.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm, how do you compare the apple to, say, the orange? Which would you say was the better fruit? Your comparison of Yamaha's late 90's analogue modelling synth and the Prologue was so spot on.....

Seriously though, I do find it hard to see the Prologue taking the position of "Flagship" for the entire Korg range and would understand Kronos owners losing their bottle if it did happen. I'd think the moniker of "flagship" is used as it's the flagship 'logue product.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
thehighesttree
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're actually very similar in a lot of ways: a better analogy would be more like comparing a tangerine and a clementine: one can sit in basically the same role as the other, and they actually have pretty similar engine features (shapable oscillators, key split/layer/blend, reverb/delay/multiFX onboard, polysynth with analog-style engine, digital osc. options, arpeggiator, etc.). I didn't just pick the next thing with keys, you know...I chose to compare it to something that fills the same overall role as the prologue, just with more flexibility thanks to stuff like the Free EGs and controller matrix.

Again, I can't think of any reason why their "pro""-logue" synthesizer loses out of features that made the more budget-friendly entries worthwhile. To you this might be irrelevant, but I'm at the point where I would never buy a synth without sequencing options.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

megamarkd wrote:
it's the flagship 'logue product.

It's an eight or sixteen polyphonic analogue synth. So you are right, it is the 'flagship' analogue synth made by Korg.

I'll just enjoy it for the feature that it has got and not what it hasn't.

But I have to say, it sounds like a monster to me, easy interface, looks lovely.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thehighesttree wrote:
They're actually very similar in a lot of ways: a better analogy would be more like comparing a tangerine and a clementine: one can sit in basically the same role as the other, and they actually have pretty similar engine features (shapable oscillators, key split/layer/blend, reverb/delay/multiFX onboard, polysynth with analog-style engine, digital osc. options, arpeggiator, etc.). I didn't just pick the next thing with keys, you know...I chose to compare it to something that fills the same overall role as the prologue, just with more flexibility thanks to stuff like the Free EGs and controller matrix.

Again, I can't think of any reason why their "pro""-logue" synthesizer loses out of features that made the more budget-friendly entries worthwhile. To you this might be irrelevant, but I'm at the point where I would never buy a synth without sequencing options.

I don't really think the "Pro" bit was supposed to abbreviated "professional" seeing as the word "prologue" means foreword or preface or a general prelude to a story or series of events.

Digital is way more flexible than analogue especially when it comes to envelopes. I wouldn't even try to compare the envelopes on an MS-20 to that of an M1, or the ones on the Pulse or Pulse2 to those on a Microwave XT. I'm no able to think of analogue envelopes on any synth that do more than ADSR (Pulse2 can do env loops which is like some sort of witchcraft for an analogue synth).

EDIT: MS-20 does have an HADSR envelope and a DAR envelope, so I do know of one synth that goes beyond the standard.

Last edited by megamarkd on Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Davd C. Polich

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the sounds in the Prologue videos. Loved the look of the product.
Thought I might actually want one.

Then I went to NAMM, and demoed the Prologue at the Korg booth.

Terribly disappointed. The sound was thin, plasticky, papery. Presets not well done.

I REALLY hope it was just the cheap headphones in the Korg booth. I really want this product to succeed.

Someone please tell me it sounds better than what I experienced.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Prologue All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: