Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can the Volca Sample gate/choke all pads, or just the 9 &

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Misfortune Teller

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject: Can the Volca Sample gate/choke all pads, or just the 9 & Reply with quote

Ok, I love the sound of the Volca Sample, cause it has that old Akai S-20 sound, and same base sample rate. It has effects and a sequencer, so that is a bonus, and more sample space... sort of. One thing it is majorly lacking that the Akai S-20 has is pad gate, or as kids call it these days, chokes. I know pads/keys 9 & 10 have choke, but is it possible to set this to any pad/key? You'd think that setting it to mono would allow it to choke, or there being a setting to switch your pads/keys to either gate or one shot, but this was not possible on the new Electribe Sampler for some strange reason (old Electribes always did it till now), unless it was a recorded sound you set to loop (which wasn't in the barebones instruction manual) I found out way after I returned it for this reason. That's too much work for such a simple function that has been on samplers since the 80's, as is automating the gate. It would be a workflow headache.

I'm in a time crunch on what gear to buy. I want to stay mostly hardware, with a little Ableton Live, but if this can't do it, I might have to get a Maschine Mikro MK2 and USB phono RCA inputs for sampling. I hate emulators, because they just don't really replicate that gritty hardware sound, especially at lower sample rates.
The Misfortune Teller

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm guessing that I can hold down the "FUNC" button + step 11 button, then press the sample part, and then press the next sample to possibly get the Volca Sample to behave like it's playing sample chops, and choke the previous sample off??? I have only maybe a day to figure this out, and that's all I gather from the Volca Sample manual. I want all my pads/keys to have the option to perform like sample chops, and it baffles me that almost all the predecessor Korg Samplers could easily do this, but the 2 newest (Electribe Sampler & Volca Sample) can't! Another mysterious thing that disappeared that people enjoyed was the "ACCENT" button function. I understand you can automate to make what these functions did possible, but why not give the consumer both so they can choose? I have Electribe like emulator apps like G Stomper that can do all this for free and more for 10 bucks! Just can't sample without an attachment. Can the sample parts be set to let's say all the same midi group, and cutoff/choke all the sample parts? Something has to be able to do this without needing to use all your fingers and your nose to perform a process that took one finger in the past. Please, can someone answer this before I shell out more money than I need to???

I miss the good old days of being able to test out hardware. There's hardly any demo units at Guitar Center & Sam Ash. Music software and online shopping has it's positive and negative affects that have both helped and hurt the consumer. YouTube is usually a good place to get demos, tips, and occasionally get your questions answered without asking (so far no luck with asking), but getting your hands on it before you buy it tops jumping through all these hoops before you make a decision on what works for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: