Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volca FM bad ground?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Volca FM bad ground? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I got my Volca FM back in December which was supplied with batteries, used them until they died but didnt like the idea of replacing batteries all the time so i bought a Korg KA 350 style dc plug to use instead.

Ive started to notice that when the machine is plugged in via the dc plug, theres an audible low hum that is present, even when the Volca itself is turned off. When you turn the Volca on the noise gets a little bit louder, but not by much.

When i touch the metal face of the Volca the noise disappears, is this a bad ground problem or is my dc plug no good?
Ive tested this using batteries and i cant replicate the problem.

Interested to know what power supplies people are using with there Volca and if they have encountered the same issue?

The output on my adapter is 9v DC at 1.67 amps if anyones interested
FM_Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have much help except to ask where exactly the noise is coming from.

Is it coming from the part of the power supply you plug into the wall or is it coming from the volca itself, and if from the volca, are you hearing it through the speaker/headphone jack or does it seem to come from somewhere else in the case?
Mark.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its comming through my headphones when they are plugged in or through the Volca's speaker.
Its almost as if even when powered down, the Volca still has current flowing through it somewhere thats making noise, when i switch the plug off at the wall the noise stops, but if the plug is switched on and the Volca isnt, you can still hear noise through the headphones or speaker (whichever is connected at the time)
Like i said, theres a very slight increase in the noise when the unit is powered on, but its very subtle.

My only guess was a bad ground or a bad 9v plug, the noise will go away when i touch the face of the Volca meaning im earthing whatever current is still flowing inside.
Was just curious if anyone else had experienced something similar or recommend a different 9v plug?
jeftones

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the gripes i hear often is that there is noise bleed through when using a power adapter to power the volca units. i have stayed using batteries because of this.
CRJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this could be a ground loop issue maybe? does the noise go away on batteries and only show up when you plug in your power supply?

i keep one of these in my bag at all times. bad power can really piss you off.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71AGESwD7kL._SY587_.jpg
Mark.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the noise goes away when i use batteries, i even tried to give it an extra ground to stop the noise but it never worked.

I think il just need to live with it for the time being, if im recording any sound into the PC il just need to switch over to batteries to make sure i dont have any hum/noise in the recording.

Thanks for the replies
CRJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if this is a ground loop issue for sure, the problem is where you are plugging your power supply into. ground loops are annoying to deal with, and to trace, but everyone should know how to do it. google it and learn and learn to love the loop! Smile its good for you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: