Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dreaded freeze and buzzing sound.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Dreaded freeze and buzzing sound. Reply with quote

Okay. I've had this particular Kronos X for close to four years now and I've only had the Kronos do this twice where it would freeze and a loud buzz sound would emit from the output. The first time I was in my studio, no usb connection, only sustain pedal and power chord and cables from output to stereo monitors. No harm, restarted and it worked fine for a good year with no recurrence. Last weekend while gigging it happened again. No usb, just sustain pedal and cables to DI box. I also use a UPS when playing because I've read about problems with power. Rebooted and it worked fine the rest of the night. Luckily it happened when it was not a keyboard heavy song. I decided to open up the board and check on the RAM. I've looked on line where exactly the RAM is, viewed youtube and articles. Plenty of those if you look. So, I open up the board, look inside and I see the RAM sticks are mounted sideways, not up and down like all of the pictures and videos I've viewed. I was going to pull them and re-seal them, but I couldn't figure out how to pull the RAM sticks out and re-seal them. Anybody else see their RAM sticks mounted sideways inside their Kronos and how in the hell do you remove them without screwing things up? It looks like I'd have to disconnect the SDD cable to pull them, but I decided to just put the board back together and hope this won't happen again. I cannot imagine using any other board besides the Kronos, but if this freezing would have happened during a keys solo or something where keys are upfront, I'd would have had one hell of a red face waiting the 2 minutes for it to reboot. And yes, I'm using the latest OS. Thanks.
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I had that happen two years ago with my K2. I up-dated my OS & firmware + I use a UPS. So far all is well.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had it often lately. Ever since i moved to an area with lots of electrical line work going one within a one kilometer Radias. Last year i was here and none of that issue.
Only thing that has changed is my addition of USB audio+midi and 5pin midi cables to externals. I mostly did not need to reboot to stop the buzz. I would unplug the USB cable or midi cables or turn down volume and switch modes or start pressing buttons.
I am starting to think it is from electricity supply fluctuations and that added USB and midi makes the system more sensitive to electricity instability.
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gents, but I'm curious about the RAM sticks being sideways instead of sticking straight up like in the photos/youtubes I've researched. Hope I'm making myself clear. The RAM sticks are seated right next to the heat sync (I believe that's what it's called, the black steel squares.) I'm not an engineer so I'm sure I'm not being as clear as I should be. Anybody else notice about their RAM sticks being mounted sideways instead of straight up? It would be easy to reseat the RAM sticks sticking straight up, but on my Kronos X, they are sideways. Thanks.
NormC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post

Last edited by NormC on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
NormC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post

Last edited by NormC on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
NormC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are unlock tabs on each side of the modules. Once unlocked they can be lifted out.
Here is a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtxG1ea04IA
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you NormC. At least that gives me an idea what to do. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: