Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Kronos/Logic owner! Any other former Fantom X/G users?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
studio460

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
I realize this is not your question, I thought I read your Kronos 88 Platinum is a demoI don't recall if you had a Triton . Kronos has learning curve.

No problem! Any comments from the Kronos community, especially from former Fantom owners are most welcome! I did buy a B-stock Kronos. It's a factory-refurb from Korg. Sweetwater just got a bunch of K88 Platinum refurbs from Korg for some reason.

Yup, I'm sure I'll be struggling through it the first few months! This thread is all just thinking out loud about what to do with my Roland stuff once I get the Kronos. Never had a Triton; the Radias is my only Korg synth.

Korg Nautilus 61 AT + DS1H + EXP2 | Korg Kronos 2 Platinum 88 | Korg Radias | Korg Kaoss Pad KP3+ | Kaossilator Pro+ | Kronos Remote iOS
PCG Tools v3.2.0 | WavesArt Cinematic Suite EXs

Lightbringer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

FYI, I like old and comfortable. My car is old. my clothes are old. etc, etc.

Anyway, its not about the old car in my driveway or impressing the neighbors.

Its about getting around the SEQ and producing great music.

Aristotle said that, “The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.” In other words, when individual parts are connected together to form one entity, they are worth more than if the parts were in silos.

There is our lesson for the day Smile

Definitely appreciate where you're coming from here. I also like proven things that work and help me get the job done. Flavor of the month really has to have some real and substantial improvements to get my attention (and my $).

I would say that as a newcomer to the Korg world coming into the K's sequencer from any modern DAW environment (and I'm using pretty "modern" pretty loosely here, including DAWs that pre-date the Kronos), it might feel a little more like "what the ???" as opposed to "old and comfortable." Smile

I guess I was a little surprised considering this is the current flagship workstation from THE workstation leader. Seems like a bit of a face lift and a few new functions would make it more accessible to those who haven't been using some version of it from prior Korg boards for years and years.

A piano roll view would be nice - even if it didn't have drag/drop functionality - just to identify and select notes. A little more detailed visual display like the Roland screen shot above. That screen shot looks like a modern DAW/sequencer. Multiple cues you can jump between rather than a single locator. Stem track exports. Things that I think Korg has basically already developed and put in other products.

Not bashing the Kronos. I'm quite happy with my new board. The SEQ will see some use for me but won't become my primary tool. I guess if there was any area where the K didn't quite match my expectations, this is it.
studio460

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
But the interface feels to me like something they lifted out of a pre-Oasys model. This is my first Korg workstation so I don't know if that's actually what they did. The SEQ UI struck me as a bit arcane, though.

Yeah, that's kind of what I've been thinking from what little I've seen. I searched for Kronos screenshots and didn't see a whole lot, and what I did see seemed somewhat dated (the same search for the Fantom yields tons of screenshots).

Korg Nautilus 61 AT + DS1H + EXP2 | Korg Kronos 2 Platinum 88 | Korg Radias | Korg Kaoss Pad KP3+ | Kaossilator Pro+ | Kronos Remote iOS

studio460

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
The SEQ flow seems dated. I think the original concept goes back to Triton and/or Oasys. I believe progression stopped by 2010 or further back.

Yeah . . . that's kind of what I was afraid of. It does look very Oasys-ey. I may then keep my Fantom G and continue to use its recorder until I get familiar with Logic. By then, I'll probably not use the Kronos' built-in recorder and use the Fantom for quick stuff and Logic for more finish work.

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
GregC wrote:

Fy Smile

I would say that as a newcomer to the Korg world coming into the K's sequencer from any modern DAW environment (and I'm using pretty "modern" pretty loosely here, including DAWs that pre-date the Kronos), it might feel a little more like "what the ???" as opposed to "old and comfortable." Smile

I guess I was a little surprised considering this is the current flagship workstation from THE workstation leader. Seems like a bit of a face lift and a few new functions would make it more accessible to those who haven't been using some version of it from prior Korg boards for years and years.

A piano roll view would be nice - even if it didn't have drag/drop functionality - just to identify and select notes. A little more detailed visual display like the Roland screen shot above. That screen shot looks like a modern DAW/sequencer. Multiple cues you can jump between rather than a single locator. Stem track exports. Things that I think Korg has basically already developed and put in other products.

Not bashing the Kronos. I'm quite happy with my new board. The SEQ will see some use for me but won't become my primary tool. I guess if there was any area where the K didn't quite match my expectations, this is it.

Realist here. Improvements to the SEQ will never happen on Kronos.
Flagship or not, if there was a chance of new features, it would have happened
years ago.

Korg knows that most went to DAWs 5-10 years ago. Software evolves rapidly
and there is not a practical way to keep pace on a W/s, flagship or not.

IMO, of course. Its obvious( to me) Korg has their priorities.

I would guess few use the SEQ for large scale music production. Korg also sees this. Some folks use the SEQ as a scratch pad I think. Most interface their K into their DAW and don;t use the SEQ.

Some use the SEQ as a one man band or ensemble or for worship. Its very useful when I see this variety of context.

I know I am 10 years behind using the SEQ 100% of the time. I will transition in steps away from it this year.

The K is like drug addiction for a Song writer. An all in 1 drug habit, in a good way, of course. Its great for my river of new material.

How the habit starts is using the K's excellent Programs, Combis and Karma and FX. I spent 3 years simply messing around, deconstructing Karma , breaking
down Combis, enjoying the various Programs.

After that experimentation and having dozens of song sketches, it was easy to copy/paste what I liked for instruments to support song creation into the SEQ.

With that as a good process, created a Bucket List song project, and got serious about creating multi track Songs about over 2 yrs ago. And steadily recorded all my stuff.

I am not sure how/if others plan with their K, or look ahead a few years. Or if its 95% spontaneous. It sure is fun whatever one does with their K
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you're probably right about the SEQ not getting an update, GregC. A guy can dream though, right? Smile Like studio460, I had done some homework before buying (looking at the manuals, photos, videos, screen shots, etc), and more or less knew what I was getting. And it's fine - I won't feel cheated if there's never another OS update. The sequencer will still be useful for me. I will learn to navigate it. Because it is right there in front of me in such easy reach.

And thanks for sharing that bit of history of how you've evolved with the Kronos. That's some pretty good insight into a workflow where the K's sequencer is useful, even if it's only for the early part of the songwriting process and/or capturing partials before they disappear forever from my mind. Good stuff!

And, yeah, there are totally so many fun ways to use this board!
studio460

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I think Greg's predictions are spot-on. How long have you had you Kronos for, Lightbringer? Again, even though I work with a lot of technical stuff, the inner workings of my synths always seem to baffle the crap out of me. I still have no idea how to program my V-Synth GT!

Lightbringer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

studio460 wrote:
Again, I think Greg's predictions are spot-on. How long have you had you Kronos for, Lightbringer? Again, even though I work with a lot of technical stuff, the inner workings of my synths always seem to baffle the crap out of me. I still have no idea how to program my V-Synth GT!

I've had mine about a month. Don't worry - the SEQ is not actually that difficult to use, though you will probably have to consult the manual for some things. I've got the basics down, and the learning curve is now more about internalize them to move faster.

I know Korg (just like Roland and other mfgs) build on tech from product predecessors. The SEQ just strikes me as one of the older designs in the machine.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of it after being used to the Fantom.
Thunder Dump

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long-time gigging Fantom X7 owner here. My intent was to migrate over to the Kronos 2 73 for gigging but I haven't had the time to start recreating all of my Fantom splits/layers to the Kronos, and quite frankly I'm not comfortable enough yet operating it to gig with it. It's all fine and good until I need to make an adjustment on the fly and I might not know/recall how to do it with the K, whereas I know the Fantom inside and out.

And, the Roland still has some sounds that are better than the Kronos, which is amazing to me for a 15 year old synth. I also have an FA-7 that might become the primary gigging rig just because of the size/weight of it (although I need Roland to alphabetize either the Studio Sets or the Song List before it will work for my needs).
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunder Dump wrote:
L.

And, the Roland still has some sounds that are better than the Kronos, which is amazing to me for a 15 year old synth. I also have an FA-7 that might become the primary gigging rig just because of the size/weight of it (although I need Roland to alphabetize either the Studio Sets or the Song List before it will work for my needs).

How cool is that. New FA-07 here. I am not much help since I just go it.

Seems like you should be able to 'pedal assign' your Studio sets in the order you like, move up thru them sequentially. But I have not tried that but thats the way my Rd700GX1 was
PPX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Combining Fantom G7 with Kronos 88 LS Reply with quote

Hi there,

I bought myself the Kronos 88 LS last summer. It joined my Fantom G7, a Roland D550+PG1000, a Roland R8 drummachine, a Roland A880 midipatcher and also (yes) a Roland MC500Mk2 sequencer (the latter only for a memory trip down the '80ties).

In the beginning, my plan was to switch from the easy-to-use G sequencer to the Kronos sequencer. After one week it seemed to be a bad choice... For my personal approach, the G sequencer still is one of the most efficient onboard sequencers. Also, I realized that the G sequencer was already a (very) old design. Finally, using VST instruments was another step I wanted to take.

So I decided to buy my first audio interface ever (Roland Quad) and Cubase DAW. Very happy with it. Pleased with the great Kronos sound, but I still do love some of the typical G sounds. Conclusion: the combination of the G7 and K88 works fine for me. The old D550 and R8 are giving from time to time small colourfull contributions in some background tracks, ...,...

One (dis)advantage of the K: steap and perhaps never ending learning curve (when I compare it to the first months on the G7).

Peter.
PPX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Combining Fantom G7 with Kronos 88 LS Reply with quote

Hi there,

I bought myself the Kronos 88 LS last summer. It joined my Fantom G7, a Roland D550+PG1000, a Roland R8 drummachine, a Roland A880 midipatcher and also (yes) a Roland MC500Mk2 sequencer (the latter only for a memory trip down the '80ties).

In the beginning, my plan was to switch from the easy-to-use G sequencer to the Kronos sequencer. After one week it seemed to be a bad choice... For my personal approach, the G sequencer still is one of the most efficient onboard sequencers. Also, I realized that the G sequencer was already a (very) old design. Finally, using VST instruments was another step I wanted to take.

So I decided to buy my first audio interface ever (Roland Quad) and Cubase DAW. Very happy with it. Pleased with the great Kronos sound, but I still do love some of the typical G sounds. Conclusion: the combination of the G7 and K88 works fine for me. The old D550 and R8 are giving from time to time small colourfull contributions in some background tracks, ...,...

One (dis)advantage of the K: steap and perhaps never ending learning curve (when I compare it to the first months on the G7).

Peter.
studio460

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Combining Fantom G7 with Kronos 88 LS Reply with quote

PPX wrote:
In the beginning, my plan was to switch from the easy-to-use G sequencer to the Kronos sequencer. After one week it seemed to be a bad choice... For my personal approach, the G sequencer still is one of the most efficient onboard sequencers.

Hey there, PPX! Thanks for your insights! Good—another vote for pairing the Fantom with the Kronos. Yeah, that was my plan as well, but it's looking more and more like I'll still be using the Fantom sequencer. The Fantom's built-in 24-track audio recorder is so good (I never record MIDI tracks), I'll probably never use the Kronos for recording. The Fantom sequencer may be old, but its UI is pretty good, and does pretty much everything I need it to do with ample precision. When I get my Kronos, everything will go into the Fantom via TRS until I figure out how to use my new Apple DAW (so far, I really like the Apple Logic UI!).

studio460

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunder Dump wrote:
Long-time gigging Fantom X7 owner here . . . And, the Roland still has some sounds that are better than the Kronos, which is amazing to me for a 15 year old synth.

Thanks for your input! I was away from my keyboards for a while and only recently started playing again. The Fantom may be old, but it's still a pretty amazing-sounding instrument in its own right.

studio460

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
I'll be interested to hear what you think of it after being used to the Fantom.

Well, I'll get my Kronos tomorrow (woohoo!), and I'll definitely be letting you guys know how I think its UI rates. (Though, I already have a pretty good idea from the few screenshots I've seen.) Below is a picture of my current set-up. I think I'll move my Virus and V-Synth GT from my top-shelf and re-locate the Fantom G8 there, then put the Kronos 88 Platinum on the bottom shelf where the G8 currently is:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: