Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midi file controlling keyboard sets?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pian-ista

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Midi file controlling keyboard sets? Reply with quote

Hi,
Is it possible in song play mode to switch keyboard sets via midi file currently playing?
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is not. correct is possible read below .
when in Song Play play midi file, all 16 channels is assign to 16 tracks and in Master you can only change Tempo, Key Signature, main Volume, Scale, UScale (User Scale), QT (Quarter Tone) and QT Clear (Quarter
Tone Clearing).
means is physically not possible.
....... unless I miss something Wink

BTW, in song play midi you can use Pads and they will follow tempo midi file and you can control them using chord scan (change chords) manually only.
Fl Studio 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite.
Performers Heaven

Last edited by Nemik on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with the correct sysex codes (and sent over a MIDI control channel) this may be do-able...hahaha, BUT getting the sysex codes out of KI, is like extracting hens teeth!
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miden wrote:
with the correct sysex codes (and sent over a MIDI control channel) this may be do-able...hahaha, BUT getting the sysex codes out of KI, is like extracting hens teeth!

If you wanna play advanced way I got much easily way. Laughing
Dedicate one of midi track for controlling only (let's say CH 16).
then in global/ Midi/Midi in set Channel 16 for Control
then in Midi Out on same Channel 16 set Ply. Tr 16.
Make sure on Filters Program Change is not filtered.
using 1 midi cable connect Midi in to midi out.
then using Sequencer edit midi Channel 16 in Event Edit inserting Prog with Value 1:
KBD Set 1 ->> PC 64
KBD Set 2 ->> PC 65
KBD Set 3 ->> PC 66
KBD Set 4 ->> PC 67

Of course I never test it, is just idea Wink

Edit: is maybe even possible just add (edit) to existing midi track without sacrifice notes, because on Channel in set to Control Korg will listen only Program Change event, but I'm not sure.
Performers Heaven
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemik wrote:
miden wrote:

If you wanna play advanced way I got much easily way. Laughing
Dedicate one of midi track for controlling only (let's say CH 16).
then in global/ Midi/Midi in set Channel 16 for Control
then in Midi Out on same Channel 16 set Ply. Tr 16.
Make sure on Filters Program Change is not filtered.
using 1 midi cable connect Midi in to midi out.
then using Sequencer edit midi Channel 16 in Event Edit inserting Prog with Value 1:
KBD Set 1 ->> PC 64
KBD Set 2 ->> PC 65
KBD Set 3 ->> PC 66
KBD Set 4 ->> PC 67

Of course I never test it, is just idea Wink

Edit: is maybe even possible just add (edit) to existing midi track without sacrifice notes, because on Channel in set to Control Korg will listen only Program Change event, but I'm not sure.

Good News.

I was curious and test it.
Is working as charm Laughing
Problem solve ..... again Wink
Performers Heaven
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...also if you want to know the SYSEX for anything on the PA4X use a MIDI monitor (several are free).

Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Pian-ista

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all, great advice as usual. This forum is just great.
korg1
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to do anything of all these....just make a songbook entry of a midi file ,even an empty one,and just save 4STS you like there.
Do the same for as many midi sons you like,or you can make playlists of categories ,for example :
a set list named ''Guitars'' can hold all the guitar Performances you want ,a ''Piano'' set list can have all your pianos,etc...
But since we usually change sounds from piano to brass or strings or leads etch within a song,it is wiser if you use 4 sounds per song/style/midi.
Don't forget that usually we don't have much time to scroll or search for the right Performance,or even if we have the right sound,we need a different variation of it,sometimes slight,sometimes greater,more fx,transposed -1 Oct,etc...

https://pasongstyles.com/
https://soundcloud.com/korgfx
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't those SB entries immediately stop the currently playing MIDI file though???
(Have I misunderstood this??)

Original question was....
Quote:
Is it possible in song play mode to switch keyboard sets via midi file currently playing?

I believe Pian-ista wants to automatically have keyboard sets selected by MIDI commands within the MIDI song that is playing....

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He should be able to do that over the control channel Pete. KS's have nothing to do with controlling the actual MIDI file playing, the commands are simply "patch changes" within the midi file, as such it should not affect anything other than select a KS at a particular time.

The one thing I would add to the above commands is, if it is a patch change, then the MSB/LSB also need to be included in the string. The PA is not a simple Controller 0 bank setup (viz the Ketrons).

As you wrote the only accurate way to get the data is to use a MIDI monitor, I use MIDI-OX but there are others.

I alwasy try and include a little "dig" at KI for not supplying the sysex codes in a written format, as most other manufacturers do haha! I was aware we still need 3rd party apps to extract the data, but you never know, mebbe one day they (KI) will finally relent and release it all hahahahaha!
korg1
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aren't 4 performances enough for each midi file?
Or you need the performances to change automatically on certain song's position?- That could be done via itselfmidi if you pre edit it in daw with the proper controllers or sysex,but if you want to change more than 4 performances with a numeric pad like style,then you should do a lot more work than this,plus you will need to find some old midi file player/controller box, can't remember now how it was called ,but of course there will more than this for sure.

Another solution would be to place your Performances in a raw,and with SW controllers,or even foot-switch,damper,or even a keynote,to change to the next performance.
That can be done too!!!!

https://pasongstyles.com/
https://soundcloud.com/korgfx
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Won't those SB entries immediately stop the currently playing MIDI file though???
(Have I misunderstood this??)

Original question was....
Quote:

I believe Pian-ista wants to automatically have keyboard sets selected by MIDI commands within the MIDI song that is playing....

Cheers

Pete Very Happy

You right Pete.
Songbook can initialize all setting, but only on beginning, SB has no option to change anything during play. Wink
BTW, is always possible use SySex, but I not sure if Korg not filtering SySex in midi.
Another very important, most people who ask, they ask because they look simple solution, simplify is the key, I have setup where my 8 devices is connected and Sync together plus 2 PCs and I can do anything I wish, but not all need it so Advanced way. Wink
Performers Heaven
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Midi file controlling keyboard sets? Reply with quote

Pian-ista wrote:
.. Is it possible in song play mode to switch keyboard sets via midi file currently playing? ..

On the special channel (Control) Pa4X receives MIDI messages to remotely select Keyboard Sets without using SysExs.
Simply send MIDI data (MSB, LSB, PC) from SMFs as described in keyboard sets list page 967 of manual to remotely select them.

Also some of SysExs (songplay-parameters like settings of tracks, equalizer, mixer) can be done during play after initial measure or SMF.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Midi file controlling keyboard sets? Reply with quote

siebenhirter wrote:
Pian-ista wrote:
.. Is it possible in song play mode to switch keyboard sets via midi file currently playing? ..

On the special channel (Control) Pa4X receives MIDI messages to remotely select Keyboard Sets without using SysExs.
Simply send MIDI data (MSB, LSB, PC) from SMFs as described in keyboard sets list page 967 of manual to remotely select them.

Also some of SysExs (songplay-parameters like settings of tracks, equalizer, mixer) can be done during play after initial measure or SMF.

You right, but is no way you can do directly from midi loaded to player in Song Mode.
Can't do internally, must be thru IN/OUT midi channels.
1 midi cable can fix solution, no external devices. Wink

Unless I miss something.
Performers Heaven
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Midi file controlling keyboard sets? Reply with quote

Nemik wrote:
siebenhirter wrote:
Pian-ista wrote:

You right, but is no way you can do directly from midi loaded to player in Song Mode.
Can't do internally, must be thru IN/OUT midi channels.
1 midi cable can fix solution, no external devices. Wink

Unless I miss something.

Nope, you are not missing anything Smile Has always been that way (the trick of routing midi out to midi in) with the PA series, even PA1!

*sigh* there are still so many things KI have not changed (as in FIXED) since PA1...but there is much to be happy about with the PA4 though Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: