Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this possible? (merging sets)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tombikadam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Is this possible? (merging sets) Reply with quote

imagine you have 4 sets, you merged them and create a big fat set and loaded only drumkits to user area... now is it possible to use every style with direct option? forget all accs except drum and perc..

Rolling Eyes
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fundamental prerequisite of playing a SET with custom resources (Direct or USER) is to load its PCM !

Therefore if you arrange all SETs individually in order all their resources to be placed in diferent positions (not to overwrite each other)
e.g. arrange SET1 sounds to User 1 Bank , SET2 to User 2 Bank etc , the same with DKs per SET , re-map all styles per SET to new
positions and save them in every SET , ("PaManager" utility would be a great help for that !) , then it's feasible to merge resources and
play all 4 Direct SET Styles with DK/Perc/time sliced loops/ACC , if you load resources in your main Pa4X with the following way :

- Save your Pa4X main User resources.
- Load every SETx , do the above modifications and save it back.
- Load again your main User resources.
- Open every SETx.ALL/open/SOUND/open click on USERx bank and load it .
- Open every SETx.ALL/open/SOUND/open/DKx/open and load one by one DKs that exist there (and are arranged not to overwrite others).
- Save you main SET as e.g. AllResources.ALL and done ...

Now everytime you assign any of 4 SETs as Direct , all will play flawlessly !
But if you want my opinion , it's better to merge them in one solid SET and use them from there !
Direct SET function is ideal only for Styles & KBD SETs that are assigned with factory resources , unlike custom PCM Direct SETs will
make your arrangement very complex , and IMO one Direct SET with custom PCM is already too much !

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
tombikadam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank u very much for the advice
Ron

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony, not quite clear on your instructions, sorry.

My basic question is how the 4X keeps track of the PCM and MULTISMP data associated with the different sets.

It's clear that I can move sounds and styles around in the User banks once I have e.g. Set A loaded. (I assume each sound and style contains pointers to the appropriate PCM and/or MULTISMP locations.)

Now if I load Set B, I can do the same. However, won't the PCM's and MULTISMP"s from Set A be lost when I load Set B?

So, I'm not clear how the (PCM, etc.) data from existing resources is merged with new PCM's etc. in the Setx's. Won't all Setx info be lost when I re-load User resources?

Your help very much appreciated.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merging 2 or more sets is not an easy workflow that can be explained in a few lines topic ...
But did I ever mentioned to load PCM and MULTISMP data of any SET ?

You never do that in merging SETs procedure , only loading partially Sounds/Pads , that will
automatically load the required PCM samples as far as the Sound positions are not the same
else one set will overwtite others SOUND resources ...
This is the basic trick that I've briefly written above !

Conclusion : all SOUND resources must have been loaded in user positions of Main.SET including
all custom PCM in order all Direct SET Styles/PAD/KBD SET to work properly !

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Ron

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony - Still not sure I understand since PCM and MULTISMP's are part of each Set that gets loaded but I will give this a try in a few days and see how it goes. Thanks for the help and the quick response.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron wrote:
I will give this a try in a few days and see how it goes.

Follow of what I've said and you will understand exactly how this works ! Wink

musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styles look for sounds at a specific location, not directly for pcm/multisamples.
To merge sets the following must be met:
1)All PCM folders of these sets must not exceed the ram size limit of the instrument
2)The sounds in these sets must fit into the sound banks (if all sets have 4 user sound banks full you simply have to choose which sounds you want more and leave the others outside).
As far as loading pcm from different sets you have to load one by one the sounds you need from each set ,not the whole set.Doing so will automatically load the associated pcm/multisample data so nothing to worry about there.
If you load the whole set , yes it will overwrite the previous pcm/multisample data.
There is an easier way to do this though but its not free unfortunately...
It is a program called korg pa manager.There you just copy paste and have nothing to worry about..From my tests it is pretty stable and whenever i have merged/edited a set it always worked fine...
tombikadam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to the korg team : PLEASE MAKE THIS POSSIBLE ; When we load a style from a set, all the samples are loading automaticly which would be a KING FEATURE...... I guess this will solve all the difficulties with the sets

reproach: WHY DON'T WE STILL HAVE A SOFTWARE LIKE YAMAHA's YEM to deal with these SETS!

edit: when I pay a keyboard 3300€ I don't want to pay more to any software or a thing, why would I? this is the most biggest deficiency of KORG
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as far as i know the program i mentioned has nothing to do with korg.
It is a third party editor.And i don't think any other keyboard has a so advanced editor.
What you are asking for just can't happen on the arranger itself cause of a lot of reasons.
To explain a bit the problems think of that:
Lets say you load a style and it loads the required sounds with it.
Now you load another style which has another sound but uses some of the same multisamples.during this it will load again tha SAME multisample which means it ll take double space (the cpu in the instrument itself is not so powerful i believe to do such in depth analysis in a small amount of time).So you ll end up hitting memory limit with less than 10 styles probably...
There is another problem though!When you load a style from another set which uses a sound in a position that it is already taken , it ll overwrite the old sound so the style that used it will play wrong...
Pa manager has addressed all these (and more) but it relies on the huge computing power today's pc have...It is not a simple program that can be added so easily by korg inside the arranger's os!
I suspect that pa manager is more than 100000 lines of code by looking at its compressed executable size....
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

musiccankill wrote:
... As far as loading pcm from different sets you have to load one by one the sounds you need from each set ,not the whole set. Doing so will automatically load the associated pcm/multisample data .....

Does not loading a whole soundbank (maybe LOAD User01.pcg) also automatically load each sound individually (1 ... 128) and also will create the associated MULTISAMPLES and PCM-Data ?
Is not that possible at least in order to prevent from opening soundbank (OPEN User01.pcg) and loading each of the single sound-items separately one by one ( up to max 128)?

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you open a SET with custom PCM and you load the whole file "SOUND" or any Bank0X / DK or individual any of 1-128
sounds per bank , the result will be always the same ... system will load all samples and multisamples that are used for every
single sound you load without doublicating common resources !
The major advantage when loading partial Banks of custom sound resources with PCM , is that only this way you can discover
missing samples and gray samples issues with warning window , that you will never see when loading the whole SET.

siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Loading whole SOUND or single (1..128) Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
.. the result will be always the same ... system will load all samples and multisamples that are used for every single sound you load without doublicating common resources !

Thank you for your support and advice - is important to me to know that

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
bad_santa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tombikadam wrote:
to the korg team : PLEASE MAKE THIS POSSIBLE ; When we load a style from a set, all the samples are loading automaticly which would be a KING FEATURE...... I guess this will solve all the difficulties with the sets

agree to 100%.

It is a necessary feature. Why is it steel not implemented?
Whenever you are merging different sets you have to write down all user sounds associated with the style, and all user samples associated with the usersounds.

The user styles with user sounds are not even visually noticeable, so the usersounds with custom samples! (((

Korg, pretty unprofessional!
NativeAngels
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming late to this topic. I’ve managed to fill my all my users sound banks, and have been thinking is there a better way of organising user sounds with samples.

If you have say 4 sets each with there own users sounds and assigned samples saved with save all and factory protection off.

Ie

set1.set

set2.set

set3.set

set4.set

each with there own user sounds and samples. When you come to load another set ie set2.set after set1.set will the user sounds and samples from set2.set overwrite the ones from set1.set
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: