Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another good tutorial.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Another good tutorial. Reply with quote

I am not sure who this is and not sure why it isn’t added to the forum by whoever this is.

https://youtu.be/kvtwdD1z9CY

So i am going to take a risk and drag his good job all over the forum today because i sure thought it was a good tutorial. I have been using RPPR since before Kronos was selling, but i never needed use beyond standard midi patterns and that has kept me out of the know for nifty little audio file details demonstrated here.
I was worried about all the audio based drum-loop limitations in a lot of the modern drum machine apps/software today, that i avoided them not realizing how easy it is to incorporate them into kronos user pattern slots with full and normal tempo control. Time slice applied of course.

Thanks to whoever made the video tutorial.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched about half of it.

I much prefer Audacity for tempo changes on WAV's
Less steps, faster, easier etc.

I mostly figure out the tempo of my Songs ( in the SEQ) in advance
and load that WAV into an audio track of the SEQ/Song

Sometimes I will decide in need faster BPM later. I suppose the many steps
in this demo would be good for that change.

I am hooked on Audacity- it is popular with keyboardists
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. Was useful for me! I guess that will work on any drum loop?
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should work on any drum loop and any audio with low enough resolution segmented wave stream to slice up. More-fluid stream sounds may be less affected by it but i am not experienced enough with that to be sure what kind of audio works or not. What good is time slice anyway if there is not enough fragment pattern to the audio stream? I guess all audio has wave ups and downs that can be segmented apart or sliced, so it then becomes a matter of the resolutiom at which time slice can dig into the segements in the wave form.

I still have Kronos as my primary work center. I am all for DAW suites and the better options available, but that only counts for those who have the luxury of having it all. Good thing Kronos goes far to try to have it all.

Are there any iPad apps that do time slice better?
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
I watched about half of it.

I much prefer Audacity for tempo changes on WAV's
Less steps, faster, easier etc.

I mostly figure out the tempo of my Songs ( in the SEQ) in advance
and load that WAV into an audio track of the SEQ/Song

Sometimes I will decide in need faster BPM later. I suppose the many steps
in this demo would be good for that change.

I am hooked on Audacity- it is popular with keyboardists

Off topic but i think you can add some useful input.
I was checking out Roland FA and it looks like it has combi Group-switching features similar to Kronos but without the limitations of 4 karma modules to go through..
Not sure entirely about limits with group switching on kronos but Roland FA has 16 groups with 16 mix parts per each.
Last time i did group switching on Kronos, it seemed to me that it was limited to switch groups per each Karma Module. So 4 in each switch Group max(without karma software externally). 8 scenes to use as groups with 4 parts to use in the groups.

Maybe i am missing more creative ways to use Karma combi groups switching but it seems Kronos is 8 scene/groups working a mix of 4 parts or up to 16 parts with overlapping where parts share the same Module ,compared to Roland FA with 16 groups working a mix of 16 parts. Also the Roland FA groups switch setup is very straight forward compared to what i experienced trying to get the same out of Kronos.

Hmmm.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:

I can't say, really. Working with audio drum loops is something I've never really gotten into. To me, they seem inflexible, and I don't really like the workflow of auditioning hundreds or thousands of them to find what I'm looking for. Don't get me wrong - some people do cool and impressive stuff with drum loops, with slicing and glitching and all. Just doesn't seem to fit me. Smile The way I would probably use that time slice feature in the K is to slice it up and then convert to a drum kit that I could trigger with my own patterns.

Of the iPad apps I have, I think maybe iMPC and Beatmaker 3 have some good facilities for slicing samples? Perhaps iMaschine too. But I really haven't given those features more than a cursory look.

Might be a bit off topic because I don't know that it's specifically good for re-tempo-ing a drum loop, but the iPad app "Samplr" is more fun than a person should be allowed to have for working with samples. You can slice them up (or not) and play them back in different modes by touching them in various ways. And also record and loop sequences of your touches, and mix the playback of those sequences. It's crazy good fun, and almost guaranteed to inspire and pull you out of whatever rut you might be in.

These videos give a good taste of it.

https://youtu.be/zeIxCeJPEkw
https://youtu.be/EDHQ362yBUc
https://youtu.be/1dLP1Ckm7ek
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
19naia wrote:

I can't say, really. Working with audio drum loops is something I've never really gotten into. To me, they seem inflexible, and I don't really like the workflow of auditioning hundreds or thousands of them to find what I'm looking for. Don't get me wrong - some people do cool and impressive stuff with drum loops, with slicing and glitching and all. Just doesn't seem to fit me. Smile

Might be a bit off topic because I don't know that it's specifically good for re-tempo-ing a drum loop, but the iPad app "Samplr" is more fun than a person should be allowed to have for working with samples. It's crazy good fun, and almost guaranteed to inspire and pull you out of whatever rut you might be in.

These videos give a good taste of it.

https://youtu.be/zeIxCeJPEkw
https://youtu.be/EDHQ362yBUc
https://youtu.be/1dLP1Ckm7ek

Thanks for the tip.
I am old fashioned when it comes to drum beats. I like ready made beats similar to arranger style but no really full arranger capabilites needed. Just interchangeable parts with generous fill selections to pick from for each pattern.
I use Boss Dr.880 for a good mix of midi drum patterns that are easily edited -down to each note. Also 500 user slots to match the 500 preset patterns. Also 50 fill/intro/ending options for each pattern. I can load up Kronos preset patterns into Dr 880 and then add Dr880 fills to the kronos patterns and even make a full length drum song with various breaks and fills and ending part. I can also use kronos kits driven by dr880 or use dr880 kits -or layer kronos and dr880 together.

Also Dr880 has a bass section that takes a load off of Kronos polyphony and the Dr880 bass seems more in the frequency sweet spot for stage playing with drums and guitar or just cutting through the mix of any music. You can tell when bass patches were designed specifically with guitarist in mind.
Korg has always been a bit behind on the quality of the low end of bass patches/programs. Boss fills in the missing deeps for me. I am still not into Electro/EDM style bass, but maybe one day.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems like a good set up! Electronic music (I wouldn't say EDM, necessarily as I have no interest in creating club scene type music) is a fairly new interest for me. Lately I've been trying to fuse electronic and more traditional acoustic/electric kinds of instruments and genres. I like music where that's done well. As always, much to learn!

Still trying to figure out if there's a built in Kronos drums workflow that fits me or if I want to keep it external to the K.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
[
Korg has always been a bit behind on the quality of the low end of bass patches/programs. Boss fills in the missing deeps for me. I am still not into Electro/EDM style bass, but maybe one day.

I agree with the mostly average range of Kronos bass. I think you are referring to the Bass Guitars/Acoustic bass Kronos programs.

In my recordings, its a struggle to get an even range of 2 or more octaves on the bass guitar parts. I fiddle with Compression, EQ and 7 band, too.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I'm tracking with this part of the discussion yet (but always looking to learn). An acoustic bass typically only has ~2 octave range. You're saying when you play beyond the sampled instrument's normal range, it doesn't sound good? I guess I would expect/accept that in a sampled instrument.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
Not sure I'm tracking with this part of the discussion yet (but always looking to learn). An acoustic bass typically only has ~2 octave range. You're saying when you play beyond the sampled instrument's normal range, it doesn't sound good? I guess I would expect/accept that in a sampled instrument.

I should amend what I said, of course. The sampled bass guitars sound(acoustic) /record somewhat uneven with the 2 octave range.

Yes, bass guitars can extend to 3 octaves. Start with Low E.

Current song I am working on uses the slap tickle bass, reminiscent of the
bass riff used in the Seinfeld comedy series. Lots of high bass notes.

And there are 5 string basses, too. You can google that Wink

Acoustic bass, yes, you are 100% correct.

Good to be accurate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: