Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Behringer new Model D
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazerunner wrote:
megamarkd wrote:

Roland seem to have lost their way with synths.

The System 8 and JDXA/I are pretty powerful sounding synths. The boutiques they dropped are loaded with sounds in these mini packages but people can't seem to look past the knobs and the size of the units and forget that roland stuffed gear that cost 1-3K originally into a little box

The problem I have with Roland is that they don't follow up with their own agenda...

What happened to the Plug-Out concept? We were assured that there would be new poly Plug-Outs... Nope, nothing! The SH-01A boutique is 4 voice, and yet us System 8 owners are still stuck with a mono version of it, which I find totally unacceptable, especially when the System 8's DSP capabilities are 4x that of the Boutique.

They seriously need to pull their finger out.

Anyway... My Behringer D is finally due for delivery on Monday 12th.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazerunner wrote:
megamarkd wrote:

Roland seem to have lost their way with synths.

The boutiques they dropped are loaded with sounds in these mini packages but people can't seem to look past the knobs and the size of the units and forget that roland stuffed gear that cost 1-3K originally into a little box for 300+bucks now that to me as a gear head is pretty cool.

It's only cool if you are satisfied with a lot of the boutique limitations.

I think it's not just about inconvenient size, it's about many limitations connected to that format and price tag, even if the price-value relation is great. I would rather buy something at double the price or more, but with really useable size, 6-8 voices for the synths, better functionality in their drumbox recreations, and also including a better sound for some of their digital recreations. As it is now, I don't care too much about their boutique stuff.

Quote:
Roland is like Korg they like to more forwards with their synths but people can't seem to get over where they've been instead of where they're going.

Again that's not true from my view. Korg has a recognizeable concept in a a lot of what they do, and only limited weaknesses in their concepts. Roland still builds gear with strong points, but too many unneverving issues at the same time, within one synth or one kind of gear.

Quote:
The Jupiter 80 was powerful as hell as far synths go the supernatural engine is incredible but people just couldn't get past the name and it not being analog.

While it certainly was no smart choice to call that thing a "Jupiter", this was not the main reason for the selling desaster. The main reason rather was an utterly iditotic UI desgn with one of the most stupid sound registration systems I ever met in all my life, coupled with leaving customers alone with other ridiculous OS weaknesses, missing recording integration (editor/librarian/VST functionality) and lack of overdue OS updates fixing the worst. The JP80 is a great example for an utter nonsense concept IMHO, despite some great sounding stuff on board.

Roland has shown many good ideas again in the last few years. But they are still inconsequent up to self contraditing in about everything they do, and bury their good ideas in too many weaknesses coming in one go with the good ideas. Their potential is much bigger than what they actually achieve, while Korg as the smallest from the "big three" from Japan seems to overperform constantly, looking at their limited resources.

Concerning Behringer: too much talk and too little action over the last two years for my taste. The Deepmind has some unacceptable no gos for my use, but at least it is available and useable for many, after a completely unnerving degree of excessive, pointless teasing. The model D was announced Namm 2017, and finally it's announced as available in April 2018(!) in big stores here in Germany: that's more than a year after announcing it. Instead of delivering what they announced, they rather make many new big mouthed announcements: no good style from my view. Still, a Mini at a mini price is a marvelleous thing and will definitely sell.
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gear4Music (UK) had 20+ in stock last week... Mine arrived yesterday.

I can confirm that it sounds and behaves exactly like a genuine MM. Even down to the envelope overshoot, and the way the VCF opens up further with quick repeated key strikes. The quality of the build is far better that the SE-02 - Very sturdy with very little wobble on the pots, and the switches rotate far easier than the Roland.

It's also heading for a major re-fit Wink

10 days later...

20th March - Completed Wink

Last edited by Broadwave on Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw the price today

€350

Thats a pleasant surprise, i tought it would be round €500

At that price its something i am definately comsidering
Reviews on German websites are stellar

But , it also says delivery dat in 26 weeks...
So maybe its not yet available after all?
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Saw the price today

€350

Thats a pleasant surprise, i tought it would be round €500

At that price its something i am definately comsidering
Reviews on German websites are stellar

But , it also says delivery dat in 26 weeks...
So maybe its not yet available after all?

Lots of orders, Bachus, some even order several modules simultaneously in order to create a polyphonic Model D.
At that price it has the same effect as Roland's Boutique, there's less of a mental barrier against getting one.
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have to have a little moan Rolling Eyes

There's still several nay-sayers who insist it doesn't sound anything like the real deal. I'd love to know how they're comparing it - There are countless recordings in the past 46 years that heavily feature the Minimoog, but no one, NO ONE, takes into consideration that it's almost certainly been compressed, EQ'd, effected to the Nth degree before the track has made it to vinyl/CD/MP3 etc.

The only way to compare the Behringer to a MM is to have them side by side - I had a reissue MM in for a Sync mod, and I had the chance to compare them.

The Behringer is right on the nail. I'm very fussy about synths, I've returned several in the recent past due to the slightest flaw (Korg's ARP for instance, although the Desktop version has now corrected a few minor but very niggling things).

£299, and worth every penny.
Grambambuli

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are differences, but that thing comes very, very close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYxc8R_Qys0

I have the possibility to record with a real Minimoog in the studio, but I have to prepare sounds and later play them live, so I'm very tempted...
iowagold
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: behringer d Reply with quote

behringer d
yea if it had memory and still all the features and sounds of the classic.
then it would be a good tour unit... Rolling Eyes
I think I will stick to my radias... not much memory space for users
Crying or Very sad but at least with 4 units I can cover the presets for a good set! Shocked

now behringer could remake the m3m and radias!! Idea
as well as the keybeds!!
slap in 3000 presets split to scenes banks then they would have something!!

one of the last church service events I did , I barely had enough presets to pull it off.
multi solo folks singing...
pretty cool, but I could to have had more!!

i set the key beds like 4 manual pipe organ style...
that helped!!

total midi nightmare for a fast setup and tear down!!
using manual midi switchers...
i still do not trust the auto scene switchers...
things go wrong in a fluid live event...

you never know what you need next for a sound next!!

in the studio the behringer model d rocks!!
and you can stack enough of them to get some Phat sounds!!
and uli needs an atta boy on the unit!!
Current Gear: korg m3 expanded radias firewire 88 key Radias r on mat, korg radias r on mat on 61 key bed, Korg triton rack w 96mb ram scsi port, 5) korg RADIAS-R on big rack, korg kaossilator pro plus, 6) roland integra7, 4 Roland sc55, 2 roland sb55, 5) fostex 2016, behringer fx2000, 2) roland a800 pro, 2) roland a88 and 2) a49, roland juno, Doepfer MAQ 16/3, 2 Manikin Electronic Schrittmacher, most soft synths. cake walk all old and new versions.
3 schecter guitars, 3 elevenracks, most mxr effects, 2 zoom r24, avid pro tools 11.
MRT midi Breath Controller. 6 studio rooms.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: