Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best synth to pair with Kronos? Best/worst synth you own?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leonh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with Kronos is that when you buy it then usually you don't have pleasure to look for better keyboard as upgrade as there is none on the market 😁
leonh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that makes me happy
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

studio460 wrote:
Well, I don't need any electric guitars, but I can't get that Motif out of my brain. Ever since I bought my Fantom G back in 2008, it was between that and a Motif. I played both at Guitar Center for hours.

Now, 10 years later, I still can't stop thinking about it. But I just spent $3,000 on a Kronos; I can't possibly spend another $2K on a synth right now (been looking at used XFs). Has anyone tried those Motif sample libraries on eBay? Do they work? Should I just hold my nut and buy a Motif AU library for my Apple Logic DAW? Is there an easy way to get Motif sounds onto my Kronos SSD?

Just a couple years ago I went through a similar process. I was looking for something to compliment the Kronos for live cover work, and the occasional orchestral noodling at home. I wanted orchestral articulations that the Kronos largely lacks, so I was focusing on Yamaha expanded articulation (XA) or Roland Supernatural tech.

In the end I went with the Integra 7, mainly because I didn't like the action on either the Motif XF or the FA-06. The Yamaha arps and Roland sequencers were tempting, but in the end I decided I just wanted a hardware sound module with acoustic articulations and some synth sound-shaping and FX possibilities.

You might consider getting a Yamaha Motif XS rack to quench your Motif GAS. Here's a WIKI page detailing the Motif line and what each brings. An XF rack would've been perfect for me, but too bad there is none.

Korg Kronos + Roland Integra 7 + Yamaha Motif XS rack. That would give you the max library content from the Big 3 with the smallest footprint. Sounds like you already have your sequencing needs met.

And for the synth tech looks like you're going with Virus tech. I have a Micron + BCF/BCR when I want hands-on multi-timbral sound shaping with a variety of juicy filters. My OB6 isn't getting much attention, so I will be trading that out for a bi-timbral Prophet Rev2 soon enough. But sounds like your needs are more compositional than cover band territory, so DSI might not be what you need.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and if you want affordable Moog, I'd recommend either the Minitaur or the Slim Phatty for minimal footprint.
studio460

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos Platinum + Fantom G + Fender Strat/Soldano SLO

I think I just figured out the best synth to pair with my new Kronos—it's my Fantom G8! I just plopped my new Kronos Platinum right above my Fantom, plugged in the TRS, MIDI, and power cables left over from my V-Synth GT (which is sitting the floor now), and I was in business! I played a simple three-chord progression of super-saws on the Fantom against a neat rhythm combi on the Kronos, then laid down a quick guitar track. All recorded in my Fantom G's built-in recorder. My first composition with the Kronos:

• Kronos rhythm combi (yeah, I just bought a $3,000 drum machine!).
• Fantom G8 Super-Saw performance patch.
• Fender Strat through a Soldano SLO, large-diaphragm AT condenser mic, and a BlueTube mic preamp (direct-in to the Fantom's guitar input).

All my other synths' TRS outputs are input to the Fantom G's built-in 24-track audio recorder via Behringer 10x2 TRS switcher:

I'm so friggin' happy that Korg was blowing out their Platinum 88s—they're beautiful! It so complements the very similar, clear-anodized aluminum finish on my Fantom G—they make a great pair, sonically and aesthetically!

If anyone's interested, Sweetwater has more Platinum 88s in stock (my S.E. said, "more than 5, less than 10"). They're factory-refurbished from Korg (though they may in fact be brand-new units! Mine looks spankin' new!).

Korg Nautilus 61 AT + DS1H + EXP2 | Korg Kronos 2 Platinum 88 | Korg Radias | Korg Kaoss Pad KP3+ | Kaossilator Pro+ | Kronos Remote iOS
PCG Tools v3.2.0 | WavesArt Cinematic Suite EXs

studio460

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
Just a couple years ago I went through a similar process . . . Korg Kronos + Roland Integra 7 + Yamaha Motif XS rack.

Well, I think I'm finally getting over my Yamaha syndrome. I listened to some V-Synth GT demos, and realized that the machine can do some pretty amazing stuff with its elastic-synthesis engine (which no other synth can easily replicate). Plus, I forgot one of the main reasons I bought it—the vocoder! Hear its vocoder here and here. Now, I'm listening to some Omnisphere demos. So . . .

Kronos + Fantom G + Omnisphere

Probably gets me to 99% of the sonic universe. Oh, yeah, and I have my Virus for weird sounds, plus its perfect Oberheim patch. It's so easy to become seduced by $$$$-workstations, and as a non-sound programmer, I'm a sucker for big ROMplers. But of course this madness has to stop. Yes, the Motif XF is sexy as hell. But I DON'T NEED IT. At least I did determine that I don't want a Montage. (Dang! I just know my life would finally be complete with a Motif XF!)

Korg Nautilus 61 AT + DS1H + EXP2 | Korg Kronos 2 Platinum 88 | Korg Radias | Korg Kaoss Pad KP3+ | Kaossilator Pro+ | Kronos Remote iOS
PCG Tools v3.2.0 | WavesArt Cinematic Suite EXs

Lightbringer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on that! Looks like an awesome studio you have there.
IAA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve had most stuff over the years, but have settled on:

Bottom tier - Kronos X 88 - can do practically everything
Middle tier - Sequential Prophet 6 - the best analogue poly I’ve used
Upper tier - Moog minimoog model D re-issue - The Sound.

I record into Logic which has in 10.4 a very nice mellotron too!

And my softsynths are via Roland Cloud. (Which I’m really digging)

I am now limited only by my imagination and ability!

Worst pairing? I had a Yamaha CP 5 stage piano with a Kronos 61, preferred the Kronos pianos, so got the Kronos X 88 and ditched the Kronos 61 and CP 5!

Ian

[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: