Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hopelessly trying to upgrade original Kronos.....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JOHN GARGANI

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Hopelessly trying to upgrade original Kronos..... Reply with quote

I am admittingly terrible about these things, however, somehow, miraculously, I did manage to upgrade the OS system to the latest....

Things like "zip files", may be nothing to computer buffs, but to me they have always been baffling, but anyway, I did somehow manage to "in-zip" the downloaded files, put them on a thumb drive and get the Kronos to the latest level....

it was then that I pushed my luck and purchased the newer sound sets to bring it up to Kronos 2 status: this time, after paying, there were only two links that were downloadable: a K7 sound pack file and a K7 Splits and layers.....for the Berlin Piano and the other advanced sound, they gave me key codes, of which I assumed would be asked for at some point.

So, I "unzipped" the files that were downloadable, and instructed the Kronos to transfer them from the thumb drive to the internal memory.

At this point, I did manage to find the instruction manual, and after reading the first ten pages, I was stumped: nowhere to be found on the Kronos were all these EX install files they were talking about, which I assumed would show up on the Disk screen after loading what I did.

I see the names of the Berlin Piano, etc, and it says "needs samples"...fine....but then I notice the available memory is less than what they say I needed, but I don't know if that is because something DID already load in there and I am good with the memory, or that it never really loaded properly.....

this is where I am stuck right now, and would appreciate any help on this matter.

If all else fails, I suppose I could arrange to send the keyboard to Korg, but would hate to do that.....
JoeyL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go into global mode; 2 things

1. ksc autoload tab. Add the library's ksc file and then autoload
2. authorize the library with the code given in the email sent, or from your account at korg.
JOHN GARGANI

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for the response:

"add the Ksc file"......I know it is hard to believe, but to me, that requires further explanation....

I will try going to the autoload tab and see if I can dope out what you are saying by myself.

is it an option to add IN the global mode after pressing the autoload tab?

you see, I have never added a single sound to this instrument in the couple of years I have owned it....unlike many of the other guys on these forums, I spend 90 percent of my time actually playing music and do very little "tinkering" with any of my keyboards....

thank you...
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an original Kronos you may need to increase your physical RAM. Google and/or YouTube "upgrading Korg Kronos RAM".
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JOHN GARGANI wrote:

you see, I have never added a single sound to this instrument in the couple of years I have owned it....unlike many of the other guys on these forums, I spend 90 percent of my time actually playing music and do very little "tinkering" with any of my keyboards....

thank you...

I hope you get up to speed on the terminology and the install process.

The various sounds can transcend the factory programs.

I am selective ( or cheap) about these purchases. They have to serve a specific purpose for my song writing. 90% of my time on Kronos is for song development

Everyone has their own priorities with the K
JoeyL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JOHN GARGANI wrote:

"add the Ksc file"......I know it is hard to believe, but to me, that requires further explanation....

I will try going to the autoload tab and see if I can dope out what you are saying by myself.

is it an option to add IN the global mode after pressing the autoload tab?

thank you...

Yes, press 'add ksc' and it will connect you with what you copied into disk mode. Find what you want to load and it will add that ksc to the list. Which means it will boot up automatically every time you turn on the K.

I'm assuming you have already placed the pcg programs in the bank you want it in.
Just a tip, you can just load individual programs wherever you want. So if there are programs you don't like, don't load them.
If you load the entire bank you may be at their mercy where it goes.
Trust me, you will need the extra program slots in the future.
Pcg files are loaded from disk mode.

The options tab in global is where you will find the authorization. It's pretty self explanatory.

Sorry I couldn't give a better explanation before. I was headed out the door to play at church.
Val

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about to do exactly what you are doing, upgrading to get all the new sounds the K2 has. However, I read that you need to have 3 gigs of RAM.... the first generation Kronos (like I have) only came with 2 GB. Apparently we are going to need more RAM to get all the cool sounds that come with K2. (Kronos X already has 3 gigs of RAM from the factory.) Best of luck to us both! Smile
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before either of you update your ram, make sure you get the right info about which memory cards work. I think there are YouTube vids that will help you.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: