Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

X5 to Mac

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbradgate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: X5 to Mac Reply with quote

I have an X5 which I have hooked up to an iMac with a USB to Midi interface. The Mac sees the Midi but the Input and Output lights do not come on and there is no input from the keyboard.

Is there a driver I need? All advice gratefully received.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubt that there’s a driver for the X5,but there may be one available for the mdi interface.

I have an NX5R module, which is similar to the X5 and use it via an AMT8 midi interface, which has its own driver.
Although my module doesn’t need additional settings to transmit midi output, not sure if the X5 does, though.

The owner’s manual page 11 may provide information for the X5 output settings….?

Without details with your set up,it’s difficult to offer proper advice at this stage.
Please feel free to update the information if you need further assistance.

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes.
mbradgate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your response.

I have an old iMac running OS 10.11.6 and a USB to midi adapter by CDL Micro. It claims "True plug and play no driver installation needed". Perhaps this very cheap adapter is simply not up to the task.

The settings on Page 11 for External Out Select are "2C EXT OUT SEL". I have selected this although I am a little confused as the arrow to the right in the LCD display keeps flashing. Does this still mean it has been set or do I need to do something else?

The AMT8 midi interface sounds like a serious piece of kit but costs 10 times the price of my adapter. If the only solution to getting the X5 up and running were a more expensive midi interface, it would make more sense to replace the ancient X5 with a more modern keyboard with built in Mac compatibility at more or less the same price as the AMT8 midi interface.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.
Although most Mac computers are usb/midi compliant and do not need drivers, but some interfaces work better if there are specific ones available.

It appears there isn’t a driver for the midi interface you have….we can try something else instead.

What does the Audio midi set Up applet show ?

Note.
Edited the following to make better sense.

Open the Show midi Studio(from the applet menu) …..You should see all midi devices that are connected and the X5 plus the interface are not dimmed.
Make sure it shows “This Device is Online” by opening it.
Do the same for the midi interface.

If this doesn’t work, another way would be to try using the IAC method, in a similar way as described.
However,this may be daw specific…..that means it may only work with a sequencer app etc.

Do you use a daw ?

Although I’m trying to offer some advice with this, the downside is I don’t actually have an X5…..the NX5R is similar in a broad sense, but the midi settings seem to be different.

However,most midi instruments are meant to be “plug and play”….apparently,so there must be a workaround to be found.

Been reading some reviews about the interface you have and they are mixed opinions, some say it works, others say it doesn’t.
Rather confusing, really.
I agree it wouldn’t be viable to get a multi port midi interface for your needs, but maybe further trials as described, may become succesful.

Hope this helps.

Please keep me informed.

Best Wishes.
mbradgate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, my apologies for replying so late. I didn't see a notification and only just looked at the forum today.

Please find below a link to an image of the screen with the Midi Studio setup (if I've managed to link this correctly). When I try to use Test Setup, no lights appear on the midi interface to indicate input or output.

I'm tempted to get another midi interface which might work better.

I don't have a Daw.

[/img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zbFrbYNcL-WcVSfmMOrZ2TJG1TELAY6_/view?usp=sharing[img]
[/img]
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update.
No apology needed…but appreciate your provided reasons etc.

The link doesn’t work…..can’t see anything.

Using a different interface may prove to be useful, but I still think the “problem” is related to the X5 settings.
Perhaps a step is missing with the final part of the output selection on screen….?
Usually a flashing cursor indicates it needs selecting/confirmation etc.

Another place to check for usb devices on a Mac is System Information App…the midi interface should be listed.

As a side note…checking midi to a Mac input can be checked with suitable software….Midi Ox being one of several.
This can only be done when the connection has been established….of little use at the moment of course, but worth mentioning.

If you don’t have a daw….What are you trying to accomplish with the midi to Mac routing ?
(Playing soft synths comes to mind and obviously recording into a sequencer,if you plan to do so etc).

As a last resort, you could consider doing a full X5 re-set……this should bring it into its factory state.
There is no guarantee that the output would be set to midi though….??
Also,it may delate all user settings and other saved data….so do this with caution…..and don’t blame for me it it doesn’t work….lol.

Although I don't own an X5,I would experiment with the midi settings...trial & error method....regardless.
I'm fairly sure no real harm can be made with whatever permutation that's applied.

Do keep me informed.

Best Wishes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mac Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: