Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oscillator in sound design

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smnyoed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Oscillator in sound design Reply with quote

Hello my friends!
Can someone explain me what is the purpose of Oscillators when Im editing Acoustic instruments?
And what can we do up to 24 Oscillators? (artculation for example?) trill, tremolo to a violin?
Thank you
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of oscillators as components of the sound that can be edited and triggered by different means. Typically although a sound might be made up of say 14 osc, only a few will be working at any one time because some might be triggered only velocity range 100-127 or Assignable Swith 1 or only when you play leggarto or something else.
Sometimes the sound source (eg Rom sample 001) might be used more than once but filtered differently at different velocity ranges for example.
The best way to check out what is happening is while in Sound Mode use the dropdown menu and Solo the osc. If you can’t hear it when you play a note it could be that it is limited to a certain velocity range.
Start with simple edits like adjusting the amp level of certain oscillators to your liking or changing the velocity ranges to suit your playing. You can go into the basic tab and increase the number of oscillators and copy new ones across from other sounds. It’s as simple as copy from....to...using the dropdown menu. Later you can experiment with amp modulations ( I wish that note would ring longer etc) and filtering or Oscillator EQ to adjust the timbre of the sound.
With any sound you modify just save it to a User Sound bank and leave the originals as they were.
Yesterday I had a bit of fun editing some of the EP’s and came up with some good results. I might post a link later if anyone is interested.
Coming back to your original question about the violin and extra articulations - have you tried using all the built in ones? With the first two violins in the Strings section the Joystick (up and down) and Assignable Switches 1 and 2 all add lots of effects. You can also rest your finger in the middle of the Ribbon and add vibrato by rocking it. With the third violin the Ribbon changes the timbre rather than pitch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa3X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: