Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Specific bass pattern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thepoliskey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Specific bass pattern Reply with quote

I'm struggling to find simple karma rythm pattern, so it would go N_NN or _ _ N N (where N is note and _ means rest). This is typical pattern so I believe it's easy to create for someone familiar to Kronos, but I can't manage..
I'm begging for your help.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karma on Kronos only has preset patterns. If you cannot work the GE parameters into finding a pattern match for what you want, then you need to turn to Step sequencer which may limit you to fewer synth engines but definitely you will have good bass program selections from those synth engine options.

Getting Karma software on a computer to link to your kronos is another option. Karma software lets you use your own custom GE patterns

Working GE parameters over preset Karma GEs can often get the same result as custom built patterns -but it is just too complicated a route and a really big stack of hay to be trying to uncover an embedded needle. A lof time needed to figure out how to dial in on specific patterns, using GE parameters over preset GE’s
Thepoliskey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for quick response.
I found that some presets are close to what I'm looking for (partially) so there is another question - is this possible to shorten somehow karma's phrase, so it plays repeatedly just one measure?
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thepoliskey wrote:
Thx for quick response.
I found that some presets are close to what I'm looking for (partially) so there is another question - is this possible to shorten somehow karma's phrase, so it plays repeatedly just one measure?

If you cannot find GE parameter settings to shorten the phrase, then you may have to use Step sequencer.
Karma phrases can record into sequencer and then yo can edit it in Sequencer to be shorter or anything you want, but the edit version cannot be put back into Karma GE form without Karma software on linked computer.

Lots of GE parameters and they cover a lot of possibilities to shape the phrases.
I wouod be more surprised if there was not a Ge parameter that can be used to shorten the phrase.
The real issue os sorting through 32 possible GE parameters and then the even more various ways to dial them in to what you need. Some times it comes down to a mix of several parameters being dialed in just right for one summary effect.
The pirce paid for a whole lot of flexibility in Karma. Too many options to make easy finding the right one.

Good thing is that external hardware to make simple arps and bass lines are cheap and Kronos was designed with external device hookups in mind. Have an external Arp machine and still have Karma as part of the performance.

Having kronos and not including some external devices would really be limiting a lot of Kronos potential. Sometimes it is not easier or better having it all in one unit.
studio460

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
Getting Karma software on a computer to link to your kronos is another option. Karma software lets you use your own custom GE patterns . . .

Where do you get Karma software and how do you put it on your computer (macOS)?

19naia wrote:
Have an external Arp machine and still have Karma as part of the performance.

What would be an example of an "external arp machine?"

Korg Nautilus 61 AT + DS1H + EXP2 | Korg Kronos 2 Platinum 88 | Korg Radias | Korg Kaoss Pad KP3+ | Kaossilator Pro+ | Kronos Remote iOS
PCG Tools v3.2.0 | WavesArt Cinematic Suite EXs

19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go to Karma labs web site and look for the info on how to purchase.
Maybe even search for Stephen Kay profile on this Korg forum and Message him about interest to buy his software and how to get it running on your computer. Stephen Kay is the developer of Karma.

Just type a search for “Arppegiators” online and see what comes up. But don’t just jump in and buy one.

https://youtu.be/TjobQsicctI

https://youtu.be/xuPUFGEe9jk
These examples may not work as well for you as Kronos internal step sequencer.
How does the midi interface of arturia and roland work? Will their arp sequences drive kronos programs via midi? Can their phrases have more control over individual note duration for a less machine like feel to it?
These are important questions that are already answered affirmative by Karma and step sequencer of kronos. And if they can do all that, is it worth it to get them when kronos has ways of doing it?

There are a pick of Arpeggiator machines and apps out there and it is hard for me to specify the right one for you because they may differ in how they work to make custom Arps and even have issue with midi interface to drive kronos programs. Even Arp Odyssey by Korg seems less of an arp making machine than its name suggests. A lot of the viable arp options are just step sequencers. Korg even sells external step sequencers for cheap, but it would be a waste when kronos already has internal step sequencers.

Kronos has STEP SEQUENCERS that can program 64 steps, so be sure that you take a good look at Kronos internal step sequencer before buying external arp machines that often are just step sequencers.
If you have a laptop or computer, Karma software is likely your best buy if you can bear with the work it takes to learn Karma. Karma does a lot and thus takes some real effort to figure it out. Well worth it once you figure it out. It does much more than just Arp work. It does midi routing solutions for Kronos Combi and Sequencer.
Karma software is pre-mapped to kronos controls and increases your Karma module count to 10 instead of the 4 that come internally with Kronos.

Maybe Stephen Kay will reply here soon if typing his name in this thread sends a notice to his forum account. Nothing like having what will do the job, and is designed into and for kronos specifically, plus having the developer himself at hand from time to time to help out personally.

Learn Step sequencer before deciding to get external or software arp work additions. If all you need is a simple 4 step pattern, kronos step sequencer can do as many as 64 steps if you need and has loop feature. Look at page 215 of parameter guide for details. Also it is Used via AMS and works as arppegiator when set as AMS source for Pitch. I hope you have understanding of AMS assignments on kronos. AMS means step sequencer can automate more than just bass lines and drum patterns. It can automate or modulate all kinds of parameters like sweeps that need a complex pattern to them, a pattern that is more detailed than what LFO does.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try RPPR?
Thepoliskey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnfigg wrote:
Try RPPR?

With rppr I got to do it for each key, don't I?
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thepoliskey wrote:
ronnfigg wrote:
Try RPPR?

With rppr I got to do it for each key, don't I?

With RPPR you can have one pattern assigned to one key and another pattern assigned to another. Go to youtube and search RPPR to see some examples. Even if the videos aren't about the Kronos, they all work the same, just look a little different. Also you will have to be in SEQ mode. But you can treat it like combi mode if you need more timbres.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: