Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Receive quantize information while playing live?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PetterM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Receive quantize information while playing live? Reply with quote

Hi everyone.
New to the forum, so I don't know if this has been addressed before. If so -sorry. But here goes;

I play in an event band. I use Ableton Live for tracks and my Kronos for keys.
Ableton Live controls master tempo.

What I want to do, if possible, is have my Kronos quantize in real time, based on the song sent from Ableton Live.
Because even though I receive tempo information that doesn't necessarily mean that I actually play in time, which sucks when I'm playing an arpeggio...

Any tips are appreciated.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantize in 'real time ' ?

The SEQ has quantize. See Track/edit.

But I don't know if its practical to use that in SEQ for your live band

You could experiment . Whats an ' event band ' ?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since quantisation rounds note events to the nearest selected timing interval, it results in moving back notes that were played too early and moving forward notes played too late. The latter is impossible in real time, since that would require the quantiser to be able to predict notes that haven't been played at the moment a timing interval has passed. The only thing it could possibly do is to move back played notes to the next available timing interval.

Practising arpeggios does make them easier to play to time.

If it's Kronos' arpeggiators that need to run to Ableton's MIDI clock, then setting the MIDI clock to External USB or Auto USB, in the Global MIDI page, should have the desired effect. In the Auto USB mode, Kronos will use an external MIDI clock if it is present on the USB MIDI interface, or Kronos' own MIDI clock if it is not.
PetterM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC - We play cover songs at events. Event band Smile

voip - Unfortunately the Kronos can not predict the future, so moving forward notes is off the table. And I knew that Smile
However, if it's possible to move back a played note to the next available timing interval that would solve (almost) all my problems!

But how do I do this? Can it be done?

I already have Kronos' set up to receive MIDI clock from Ableton, but is there a way to define the timing interval? Because at the moment the arpeggios play in the desired tempo (sent fra Ableton), but it doesn't automatically start on the 8-notes or 16-notes of the song being sent fra Ableton.
It starts when I press down the keys, which sometimes is a bit early.

So to be clear - is it possible to move back a played note to the next available timing interval, and is it possible to define the timing interval?
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure am glad for the days when i used an external drum machine with Krog triton and no midi between the two to sync midi clock.
That forced me to practice over and over again manually punching in Triton drum track with the drum machine pattern as well as keying in RPPR drum beats or Arps to play all at the same time in sync. It was not easy because even with a very good start, i would still get some drifting by the end of the song but just a bit that was just enough to pass off as a mild delay or mild echo effect with two rhythms playing together from two separate non synced devices.

There should be a way to to setup arpeggios of Karma to govern how they start. That they trigger from the very top of the arp and also settings to restart from the top every time keys are pressed or to just pick up where it left off when keys are pressed. RPPR may have some settings similar. Step sequencer arp patterns also.

Nothing is a better substitute than practice with your manual timing. If you are using Karma as arps, why not look into Trigger page for setting up how the arp starts out. You may want to practice with an arp setup that allows for stutter style playing where it restarts everytime you press a key. That way if you press the key and it is off sync, you can practice pressing again and again for a stutter effect and then listen into that for when it starts to sync right. Of course it may take time to fine tune your stutter skill but if you practice via manual stutter style playing, you will be sharper in your overall sense of timing.
RPPR also allows the stutter style of pattern triggering via playing the keys assigned to RPPR patterns. And RPPR patterns can be arps.
If you are stuck with having to practice your skill into perfection, these are all good places to start for arp pattern trigger setups to play around with.
PetterM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, 19naia - I'm gonna check out the Trigger page!
VICTOR KENNEDY

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along a similar train...I'm just having my first attempt at making some RPPR patterns to try and use with live band scenarios.

I get the basics of recording a RPPR but can't see how to Quantize it after it's recorded. I thought maybe in Song mode and Track Edit>Quantize but it says 'Nothing present' or such, so maybe the RPPR pattern is not on a track of the Song, even though to record RPPR you need to be in Song mode.

Quite confusing, and I find the User Manual very cumbersome, so any suggestions appreciated.
iMAC OSX 10.11.3, 3.4 GHz i7, 12 GB Ram | MacBookPro OSX 10.10, 2.5Ghz, 16GB Ram | A+H Qu16 | ProTools 12.6 | Korg Kronos2 61 | MicroKorg | N.I. Komplete - Kontrol | Alesis DM10 | Avid Eleven Rack | Slate VMS One | Fender, Maton, Epiphone Guitars |Allen+Heath Qu-16 | Etc Etc...
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Receive quantize information while playing live? Reply with quote

PetterM wrote:
Hi everyone.
New to the forum, so I don't know if this has been addressed before. If so -sorry. But here goes;

I play in an event band. I use Ableton Live for tracks and my Kronos for keys.
Ableton Live controls master tempo.

What I want to do, if possible, is have my Kronos quantize in real time, based on the song sent from Ableton Live.
Because even though I receive tempo information that doesn't necessarily mean that I actually play in time, which sucks when I'm playing an arpeggio...

Any tips are appreciated.

Are you talking about something akin to auto-correct for pitch? Although here you are talking playing in time with the aid of MIDI?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: