Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equivalent of Kronos in software?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomto66

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Equivalent of Kronos in software? Reply with quote

Question - I'll post the question first and then explain why I'm asking.

Can you do something similar to Kronos, but only in software on a PC? If so, what soft do you (or would you use):
- Engines/sounds - not a problem as there's plenty of VST synths
- Equivalent of combi's: different zones, sounds/timbres triggered by velocity and programmed by keyboard zones: if there software that allows this (using VSTs as sound engines)
- Set lists.
- RPPR ?
- Equivalent of Karma: i.e. intelligent and programmable phrase/pattern generators. I'm mainly looking for this functionality for drums. What would also work is software drum arranger-like functionality (basic beats, fill-ins, intro's and endings)
- Chords/patterns triggerable by means of hardware pads like the Nanopad
- Facility to easily switch equivalent of karma scenes (by means of e.g. programmable buttons on a midi keyboard controller?)

Any clue?

Reason I am asking: I have a peculiar use case: I provide music for improv shows, including improvised musicals. I need "programmed" stuff, but not rigidly programmed (not sequenced stuff) - because I never know e.g. how many choruses or verses a singer is going to do, or where they will decide to do a bridge. Kronos is a great tool for me - I have tons of combi's I programmed for this kind of improvisation.

I need to play festivals in Sweden, Finland & Greece this Spring. Just shipping the keyboard from Belgium to Sweden takes several days and costs over 500euros - that's just not an option. Reason is that the Kronos is too large/heavy to take as luggage on a plane - it needs to be transported by the likes of DHL (or so the airlines overhere tell me). My K88 is over 5 years old now - so I am wondering if my next setup should be a ligher, more manageable Midi 88 keyboard (weighted), nanopad or similar and software... but no idea how that would work.

Any ideas?
mm-pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Native instruments Komplete & one of their NKS keyboard controllers.
tomto66

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mm-pro: does Komplete do all of that ???
mm-pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there is no real match to Karma, but the library has tons of drum loops and pattern based loops for other instruments. You would probably need a host like Mainstage to really get all the layers & spits. There really is no direct equivalent, but I think with the synthesis & sampling library Komplete comes with, it is the closest thing in a package. The integration with their mk2 controller line makes it feel more like a hardware instrument.
mm-pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pad controller would have to be another USB controller, but there are tons of them out there in the marketplace.
tomto66

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so I need to add somthing like mainstage in. Will that allow me to easily change e.g. drum patterns? Without need of keyboard or mouse? Or can I map/program mainstage functionality onto e.g. Kontrol S88 keyboard physical buttons?

Last edited by tomto66 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
tomto66

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh - and Mainstage seems like an apple only product - I'm a PC guy... any alternatives?
mm-pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are definitely PC vst master host programs, but I am not directly familiar with them. NKS controllers integrate well with Logic & Mainstage, but I have never tried running either Komplete or Komplete Kontrol on my PC and don’t know if they integrate as well in PC-land. Hopefully someone here has experience with that.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've never looked at it, Cantabile is well worth checking out. I have made "Combis" in Cantabile which are a mix of external instruments (like Kronos) and VSTis like UH-E DIVA and Omnisphere

If you are interested, I have written some guides on how I built my gig rack (to host Cantabile) and how I set up Cantabile as the hub of my rig

I hope that somebody finds the guides useful as an example of how you can integrate a PC and live host into your keyboard rig. I also know some people who are now using just VSTis and MIDI controllers - i.e. no hardware synths!

These guides are also available via my x.factory Guides Page along with my other guides.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people run OSX on PC. There are videos showing how on youtube.
Had a friend who runs and swears by only using Linux ever again, on his apple and another friend who offered to set a computer up for me wth Linux, OSX and windows all on the same PC where i could just switch OS when i wanted.

Not sure what kind of complications can come up but likely to happen if the hardware does not come close enough to what apple uses. I read stories of Final cut not working on someone’s PC based OSX and possibly other apps.
Good thing is you can always wipe OSX off the PC and restore to Windows as long as it is not too much trouble for all your files and personalized content to be saved and put back in place.
I am not savvy enough to dare on my own or on a computer where i already have a lot of work and files residing
Xenophile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look into what people are doing with Ableton Live.
tomto66

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek! Thx for the cantabile posts! That comes pretty close to what I have in mind - just with one Midi 88key keyboard then. Still not sure on how to replace karma or RPPR though ... And I'd hate to have to drag a Cantabile box like yours on a plane too. I would assume that in a setup that does not (like yours) have to cater for 2 keyboards (sound engines), none of that would be needed?

Great thing about the Kronos is that everything is there at your fingertips, all buttons and functionality, no cables involved... Pity the darn thing is so heavy Smile - Maybe I should consider a 61 key version combined with a lighter 88 key midi keyboard ???
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Assuming you went for sound via VSti only (I know people who are doing that) a lighter setup would be a good laptop, and USB sound module that you could put in a carry bag. I guess you could then hire a keyboard in wherever you are going. Keep it all USB and have different drivers for a range of keyboards loaded.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
tomto66

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Derek, that was sorta what I had in mind. For most festivals they have a semi-decent 88key keyboard available anyway - just not the sounds & the programming I need. Thx for the suggestions - much appreciated!

How would you go about the equivalent of scene switching in Karma (for like drums) in Cantabile?
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomto66 wrote:
Yeah Derek, that was sorta what I had in mind. For most festivals they have a semi-decent 88key keyboard available anyway - just not the sounds & the programming I need. Thx for the suggestions - much appreciated!

How would you go about the equivalent of scene switching in Karma (for like drums) in Cantabile?

Hi, I am not quite sure what you wish to do, but Cantabile Performer (the top end version) supports Song States, which you can do all sorts of things with. use it to enable one set of plugins or another (see the description in my guide), or I have used to enable audio tracks when needed at some times or not others. In Welsh Floyd we sometimes had a sax player on stage and sometimes didn't, so the SAX was on a separate playback track which was default in the default song state, but I had programmed the state so I could hit an unused key on my keyboard to enable it.

My Echoes Music Website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: