Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Update to Omnisphere runs standalone with program change

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xmortenx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: New Update to Omnisphere runs standalone with program change Reply with quote

I just downloaded a Spectrasonics update that let all their plugs run standalone and receive program change commands for selected patches...

With that and having updated to High Sierra so Kronos USB audio now works again, I can run Omnisphere with Keyscabe and the rest of the family and have 16 favourite programs ready for recall on the 16 external buttons on the Kronos.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Perhaps that´s not much, but for me a few Omnisphere patches was the only thing I really missed for a lot of projects after switching to Kronos. Don´t even have to look at the laptop or touch a mouse....

Great

Very Happy
studio460

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in getting Spectrasonics' Omnisphere 2 for macOS. Can you expand a bit on how you integrate the 16 buttons on your Kronos? I didn't even know you could do that—sounds like an ultra-cool feature! (I also just bought Apple Logic Pro X but haven't yet connected to my K2—I've been looking at compatible USB hubs since I have multiple USB synths). Thanks!

Korg Nautilus 61 AT + DS1H + EXP2 | Korg Kronos 2 Platinum 88 | Korg Radias | Korg Kaoss Pad KP3+ | Kaossilator Pro+ | Kronos Remote iOS
PCG Tools v3.2.0 | WavesArt Cinematic Suite EXs

xmortenx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the new Omnisphere you do not need a DAW like Logic to run it. It runs standalone on the computer - and where I before needed a 128 buffer size I can now use 64 -

Omnisphere has a brazillian patches so browsing them has normally has you reaching for your laptop and mouse and that´s like the opposite of the Kronos workflow.

But If you press ext on your Kronos over on the left side near the buttons and faders, then you can assign the 16 buttons, fader and everything over there to it´s own CC number (Global settings/Midi/Ext1) . Then you can midi learn the 16 buttons to a specific program in Omnisphere. When you press that button - here comes your Omnisphere patch. Or do like me - have 14 favourites and use the two last buttons to up and down in Omnisphere so you can browse full banks...

You should also be able to use the midi program change command from Kronos but that has not worked for me so far and I´m happy with the button setup Very Happy

But if a super expert has a better way to do it I´m all ears

Very Happy
studio460

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Thanks for your reply—that is really cool to know! Yeah, I saw that they just released the stand-alone version. Didn't realize this would yield such a cool benefit like in this application. I've barely gotten to know my new Kronos since I've been working so much this/last week (and, stupid-early hours, so my evenings have been cut-short). Haven't even had a full day with it yet.

Korg Nautilus 61 AT + DS1H + EXP2 | Korg Kronos 2 Platinum 88 | Korg Radias | Korg Kaoss Pad KP3+ | Kaossilator Pro+ | Kronos Remote iOS
PCG Tools v3.2.0 | WavesArt Cinematic Suite EXs

Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ableton Live 10 (and I think 9) can save complete patch recalls as .alc (ableton clip files) in the browser.
xmortenx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Very Happy It just felt so nice not having to use a DAW and all that buzz that comes with it and just use the laptop as a kind no fuzz sound module. And the performance in terms of how low buffersize you could get away with dropped from 128 to 64 in my case with the standalone version vs DAW

Very Happy Very Happy
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmortenx wrote:
Ok Very Happy It just felt so nice not having to use a DAW and all that buzz that comes with it and just use the laptop as a kind no fuzz sound module. And the performance in terms of how low buffersize you could get away with dropped from 128 to 64 in my case with the standalone version vs DAW

Very Happy Very Happy

Hi. A DAW is not a good thing to use on stage (horses for courses), and Omnisphere standalone is a good move, but only any good if you are onlyusing that and do not have a need to be running any other VSTis or do not need to do other things.I'd recommend you take a look at Top Ten Software's Cantabile as a very versatile live host.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Derek about Cantabile. Concerning Omnisphere, IMHO it's not my kind of thing and there are many other versatile VSTi much more astonishing. It's only my opinion. Wink

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:
I agree with you Derek about Cantabile. Concerning Omnisphere, IMHO it's not my kind of thing and there are many other versatile VSTi much more astonishing. It's only my opinion. Wink

I’m a big fan of Omnisphere myself, but quite often want to pair it with other synths, which is why the standalone mode is not really useful for me. UH-E DIVA, ZEBRA and REPRO are some of my favourite virtual synths along with the XIL-LABS PolyKobol and PolyMoog, the Arturia collection and of course the Korg Legacy Cell Wavestation Smile

If anyone is interested I have written some guides on my hardware setup and how I use Cantabile. They can be found on my .factory Guides page (see signature link)

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: