Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Korg Triton owner, but with distorted sounds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilmar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: New Korg Triton owner, but with distorted sounds Reply with quote

Hello,

I Just bought a nice Korg Triton Pro last weekend. But at home many patches (specifically the Rhodes EP's) have slight distorsion when played at high velocity. It's also in much synth pads.

Is this a known problem? Any cure?

Thanks a lot for any reply, because now I'm a bit dissapointed in this synth.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the audio being listened to? Through headphones, via a mixer, or speaker/PA? The maximum output level of the Triton Pro is +13.5dBu, so the Triton has the potential to overload the input section of the system to which it is connected.

One thing always worth checking for on a piece of used gear would be dirty contacts on the audio jacks. A bit of contact cleaner onto the jack plugs and then plugging and unplugging a few times should help if that's the issue.
Wilmar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
How is the audio being listened to? Through headphones, via a mixer, or speaker/PA? The maximum output level of the Triton Pro is +13.5dBu, so the Triton has the potential to overload the input section of the system to which it is connected.

One thing always worth checking for on a piece of used gear would be dirty contacts on the audio jacks. A bit of contact cleaner onto the jack plugs and then plugging and unplugging a few times should help if that's the issue.

Thanks. Both on headphones as via the inputs of my audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 18i8), and via the inputs of my Yamaha MK10/2 mixer it's distorting. I have to set the volume slider below half to avoid it from overloading. Then I have to push the mixer to get decend volume, so that's not good for the signal to noise raitio.

It's like digital overload. For example sound A017 Studio Stage EP.
That very dynamic sound (great preset BTW) distorts very easily. I geus the volume slider is a digital controller in stead of a analog volume slider. The clipping sounds like digital and can be avoided by trimming the volumes within the Program down. But I guess the factory sounds where not made clipping in the first place.

Any idea's? Anyone familiar with this?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Routing the sounds through the individual outs to see if the distortion is still present may help to narrow down the likely problem.

The Master Volume is an analogue control, and the circuitry that follows is analogue.

If everything is working as it should, setting the Master Volume to half should not be too detrimental to the SNR, since the output of the Triton Pro is quite "hot".

Wilmar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Routing the sounds through the individual outs to see if the distortion is still present may help to narrow down the likely problem.

The Master Volume is an analogue control, and the circuitry that follows is analogue.

If everything is working as it should, setting the Master Volume to half should not be too detrimental to the SNR, since the output of the Triton Pro is quite "hot".

The distorsion is there on the individual outputs too. I did reset the Triton factory patches and upgraded tot system 2.5.3 but still some sounds distored.
novy74

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Wilmar!

Did You fix Yours synth or still have no solution?

Did You try to run diagnostic test to check the PCM rom is OK?
To enter the full test : Hold Enter and 5 while turning it on

I have similar problem with my Triton which i recently bought as damaged for small price, and i hoping to fix it with low costs.

All sounds are distorted, some sounds more some less and i think this may be related with damage of PCM rom chips.
I cant check all sounds because previous ovner erase banks. I need to preload factory sounds, but FDD seems to be not fully working, and i need to fix it too.
I hope FDD in my second Korg Trinity will be similar so i can swap temporary to just load factory sounds ( or mabe even upgrade firmware to 2.5.3 now is 2.0.3)

I start to search for solution of "distorted sound" issue and I found that blog site describing Korg Triton LE similar problem : http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=89424&sid=7c7c67405efd657e993e9c081f942572

I run diagnostic test and get information PCM ROM - Error Step 1 - definately it must be something wrong with this chips.
When I opened Triton i noticed that PSU is not original !!! This leads me to conclusion that original PSU maybe goes overvoltage and damaged PCM rom chips. Sad

I had a closer look on mainborard which is KLM-2083 and there are 4 chips :
Arrow X7100-BK4-H ( 2 pcs.)
Arrow X7100-BK4-L ( 2 pcs. ) - on those two somebody make a X marks with pencil. Probably Triton was already diagnosed by some tech. Confused

I was hoping to replace PCM rom chips myself but the problem is that only X7100-BK4-L are available. Crying or Very sad

I found company in China https://www.jotrin.com which have them in stock for 20$/piece + shipping. Quite expensive...

Rather I would buy whole mainboard for reasonable price.

If anybody reading this post had similar problem, please share your experience. It looks like it's common problem with Triton synths.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: