Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

O1W/fd, couple of questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Norton

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: O1W/fd, couple of questions Reply with quote

Hello all, new guy here -- first post other than my intro in the New Members thread.

I have had an X3 in the past, had to sell it, and now have an O1W/fd. I have a manual for it in PDF form but seem to having some difficulty finding the info to do a couple of things. I had a great B3 sound on my X3 where I could control the Leslie speed with the touch sensitivity. I'd like to find a fast attack organ sound on the O1W and set it up as I had on my X3.

I'd also like to split the keyboard and assign two different Combi sounds to it, for example Combi A62 Mahler Horn on the left and Combi B87 Concerto on the right. Not sure if this is possible but I need to switch sounds in the middle of a song (Comfortably Numb) several times. I believe you can split the keyboard with Program sounds, but not sure if you can use Combi sounds or if you can use sounds from different banks.

Hope I don't sound like an idiot here. Thanks.
Current Gear: Korg O1W/fd, Alesis MultiMix 12 FireWire, KRK Rokit 5's, Reaper, various Native Instruments softwares, Agile AL3000, Fender Telecaster, Fender SF Champ, Korg G3, many stomp boxes, SM 58, MXL 900, MXL 990, TC Helicon VoiceLive, Lexicon LXP 5 & MRC
jorgemncardoso

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Norton, welcome to the forum and congratulations on having the great 01/W, my all time favorite Korg keyboard Smile (along with the M1/T3 of course).
Great to see you are also a Pink Floyd fan lol Razz

Regarding the organ sound i have tons of sounds and combis i've collected thru the years, if you wand i can send you by mail so you can choose, post you email if you want me to send some.
About changing the leslie speed are you asking if it's possible to do with velocity or with aftertouch? I'm shure you can assign that parameter on the effects section to both controllers. Usually the 01W leslie effect is assign to change with the value slider, so you can change that if you want on the leslie effect parameters.

Regarding splitting the keyboard with two combis, well... it depends on some factors:
1- do you need to have different effects for each combi? You can only have the same efect for both on combi mode

2-how many layers (programs) each combi have? You can build a combi with up until 8 layers, so in theory if your two combis don't have more than 4 programs each, than you just have to build your combi with the 2 combis parameters and limit the note rage of you first combi to the left side and the layers for the second combi to the right, in any split point you want. You will have however is a global effect for both sides.

3- you'll have to watch out if you are not using too many layers at one time that will limit your polyphony, and you can have cut out notes.

So summing it up it's possible to have that combi you want but you have to build it yourself with the parameters of the 2 combis you want to split, and you can only have the usual 2 effects assign to the global combi.

You can also build the layers in song mode if your combis have more than 4 layers each, in song mode you can have up to 16 layers, but you have to load your songs each time you turn the 01W on.

Hope this makes any sence to you, if you have trouble drop me a line Smile

Cheers
Yamaha: Motif XS8
Roland: expanded JV-1010 modules (3X)
...And a bucket load of Softsynths, plug-ins, and DAW's Smile
Norton

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Yes, I was trying to say that I wanted to control the Leslie speed with the aftertouch. I could do that on my X3 and it was very nice to have that control.

The two Combis that I wanted to use on the split keyboard were the two mentioned in my first post -- the Mahler Horn and Concerta. I haven't looked to see how many layers they have. I'm in the process of reassembling the keyboard now after fixing a spring that had slipped out of place somehow. (The key was not returning. I figured something had broken so I removed the key bed and saw the spring had just slipped down. Easy fix, but not easy to get to.)

It's been many years since I messed with the X3 and I never really got familiar with the process. I just put my nose in the book, got immersed in that little world and when I came out, stuff was doing what I wanted it to. Smile If I can ever get this manual printed and organized, I expect to be able to do the same with the O1W. I'm not sure how the X3 and O1W compare as far as max allowable effects and layers, so maybe I'm over reaching a bit. I don't recall that I actually ever split the keyboard on the X3, but I may have experimented with it. I know that in order to make the organ sound I started with an existing sound and tweaked the parameters.

I've never used any PCM cards on the X3, is that how you load new sounds and combis? I only ever used the floppy disc for recording tracks and songs. Now I would just midi out to my computer to record. I mostly used the X3 for live performance. I bought this O1W for recording, but didn't ever get around to it much and now that I'm in a band I have less time for recording. I'd like to check out some of your sounds that you've collected (do you call them patches?) I'll PM you my email address.

Thanks
Current Gear: Korg O1W/fd, Alesis MultiMix 12 FireWire, KRK Rokit 5's, Reaper, various Native Instruments softwares, Agile AL3000, Fender Telecaster, Fender SF Champ, Korg G3, many stomp boxes, SM 58, MXL 900, MXL 990, TC Helicon VoiceLive, Lexicon LXP 5 & MRC
Norton

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I'm sure most here probably already know about it, but bustedgear.com was a great help in disassembling my O1W.
jorgemncardoso

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i'm pretty sure that you can assign the leslie speed to the aftertouch in the leslie effect parameters. You just have to find the wright organ sound and change it Smile

Glad that you got the key problem sorted out. I totally understand what you mean, i've disassembled my two 01W's when i bought them for maintenance, cleaned the keybed, re-lube all the key guides and reassemble the keys, and basically disassemble the keyboard down to the lcd, did the same with my T3, and with my Trinity, and with M1 back in the day, so i can strip these keyboards and put them back together with my eyes closed lol Razz
When ever i do this literally have to screw and unscrew about 100 screws lol, it's hard work but can be done.

Hope you took care with the key contact board and contacts, when ever you disassemble the keybed, the first thing you should do is disconnect the key contact board from the motherboard, removed it from the keybed and put it safely aside. Never ever remove or assemble keys with the key contact board attached. It's the most fragile and vulnerable part of the synth as you may have realized. Those contacts can be easily bent or damaged.

Don't forget to check that all the connectors are firmly connected when putting it back together. If something dosen't work the first thing to check is the connectors.

Regarding the split combi, you have 8 layers you can use on the 01W, so you have to look for two similar combis to the ones you want, or build the combi from scratch with all the programs assign to the layers you want to use, program the key range (for the left part and the right part) and program the two effects for the global combi.

Regarding the patches or banks of sounds i'll be sending you, they are almost all in SysEx format, witch is the universal format for all synths. All you have to do is run a librarian program i'll send, choose the midi in and out ports on the program and ust send banks of sounds to the synth.
You can send single programs/combis, full banks of programs/combis or the full bank with prog/combi/global/sequencer data.
Also the program allows you to audition esch sound on the file without writing it to the synth, so it's easy to test everything and create banks and send it all nice and neat to the 01W

Last edited by jorgemncardoso on Fri May 17, 2013 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
jorgemncardoso

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and you've got to have a usb-midi cable, as you probably have Razz

I'll try to send you the files today is i can, if not i'll send them over the weekend.

The 01W has few differences from the X3, the synthesis engine is the same as most of the effects. And it's obviously better than the X3 overall.
The X3 was created as a more "economical" version of the 01W back then. It's a very good synth never the less but the 01W is far superior.
Norton

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jorgemncardoso wrote:
Oh, and you've got to have a usb-midi cable, as you probably have Razz

I have a firewire interface to my computer, and I run my midi cables from my O1W to the interface. But now that I think about it, that may not work to transmit data from my computer back to the O1W. Guess I will have to get a usb-midi cable.

jorgemncardoso wrote:
The 01W has few differences from the X3, the synthesis engine is the same as most of the effects. And it's obviously better than the X3 overall.
The X3 was created as a more "economical" version of the 01W back then. It's a very good synth never the less but the 01W is far superior.

I didn't know that. Good to know. I just assumed the X3 was an upgraded version of the O1W/fd.
jorgemncardoso

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try it with the firewire first, but it may not work because of the transmission speed. The 01W is an old synth and new interfaces and computers sometimes are just too fast for these synths.
I had a bit of trouble to get MidiOx to work with my T3, i had to reduce the transmission speed to minimum to get it to communicate with the PC and vice versa. So the usb-midi is probably best.

Yep, the X series and the N series where a more striped down budget version of the 01W, the N series has more samples but the filters, ad converters and keyboard where inferior to the 01W.

The philosophy is a bit like the Kronos and the Krome these days, the Krome is a striped down version of the Kronos, the only diference between now and then is that the 01 series, X, N, M, T series where by very far better built then the kronos or krome.
When i tested the krome keybed for example, i was in shock. It has to be the crappiest keybeed i've ever played, and is targeted as a professional workstation LOL, well perhaps if you only use it as a module it is...

I mean...., my first little arranger keyboard i had back in the 80's, witch you can consider a toy, has better keys than the krome...
pianomanFlorida

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jorgemncardoso wrote:
Try it with the firewire first, but it may not work because of the transmission speed. The 01W is an old synth and new interfaces and computers sometimes are just too fast for these synths.
I had a bit of trouble to get MidiOx to work with my T3, i had to reduce the transmission speed to minimum to get it to communicate with the PC and vice versa. So the usb-midi is probably best.

Yep, the X series and the N series where a more striped down budget version of the 01W, the N series has more samples but the filters, ad converters and keyboard where inferior to the 01W.

The philosophy is a bit like the Kronos and the Krome these days, the Krome is a striped down version of the Kronos, the only diference between now and then is that the 01 series, X, N, M, T series where by very far better built then the kronos or krome.
When i tested the krome keybed for example, i was in shock. It has to be the crappiest keybeed i've ever played, and is targeted as a professional workstation LOL, well perhaps if you only use it as a module it is...

I mean...., my first little arranger keyboard i had back in the 80's, witch you can consider a toy, has better keys than the krome...

Hi jorgemncardoso, I'm brand new to this forum.

I have been playing a Korg T-3 for years and it's just about worn out. I'm shopping o1w/fd's at the moment. Do you know if the disk programs/combinations/samples are compatible between these two keyboards?

I ask because you have or had both and on the possibility you might receive a notification about my reply to this five year old thread.

Thanks, R
jorgemncardoso

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pianomanFlorida wrote:
jorgemncardoso wrote:

I have been playing a Korg T-3 for years and it's just about worn out. I'm shopping o1w/fd's at the moment. Do you know if the disk programs/combinations/samples are compatible between these two keyboards?

I ask because you have or had both and on the possibility you might receive a notification about my reply to this five year old thread.

Thanks, R

Hi, welcome to the forum Smile

Unfortunately the disk programs/combinations/samples are not directly compatible between the two keyboards.
The 01W shares some of the samples from the M/T series, but many on the ROM samples are close but a bit different.
There is a card series called "The best of M&T" that has some of the most popular M and T series sounds and samples.
You can get the file for the Prog and Combis on the net. However there are a lot of the T3 sounds you can recreate on the 01W. The synthesis base of the 01W is very similar to the T3, so you can basically "copy" all parameters by hand from your T3 (if it's still working) and recreate it on the 01W, with one or two tweaks you can get very close, or even better.

Hope it helps Smile
pianomanFlorida

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jorgemncardoso wrote:
pianomanFlorida wrote:
jorgemncardoso wrote:

Thanks, R

Hi, welcome to the forum Smile

Unfortunately the disk programs/combinations/samples are not directly compatible between the two keyboards.
The 01W shares some of the samples from the M/T series, but many on the ROM samples are close but a bit different.
There is a card series called "The best of M&T" that has some of the most popular M and T series sounds and samples.
You can get the file for the Prog and Combis on the net. However there are a lot of the T3 sounds you can recreate on the 01W. The synthesis base of the 01W is very similar to the T3, so you can basically "copy" all parameters by hand from your T3 (if it's still working) and recreate it on the 01W, with one or two tweaks you can get very close, or even better.

Hope it helps Smile

Thanks so much for the info.

I had neglected to mention that I have Korg diskette manager from Geibler enterprises, (which services disk to computer transfer for both keyboards) so I'm guessing the files might load into the o1w/fd however be corrupted and more work to fix than simply created the patches new?

Or, conversely, would you know any korgs that are compatible with T3 program/combo disks? The samples would not be much work to re-assign, however rewriting every patch would be a lot of work. Reason being I have many many custom T3 disks for quite a few different bands of different genres, and am having a hard time finding a decent T3 at a reasonable price.

Thanks again, R
jorgemncardoso

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately there are no other synths that can directly read T series disks. The sysex programing is different for other korg's even if most of the parameters are similar. The phisical disk types are also different, T3 uses HD 1.4MB disks and the 01W uses DD 700kb disks.

I don't know if any of the editors's below have the ability to directly convert the parameters from a T3 file to a 01W file, you can install them and give it a go:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=90344
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=99291

You also have this great editor for the o1W that alow's you to edit parameters in real time:

http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/ChangeIt/ChangeIt.html

IMO best thing it to completely forget about the use of disks, just transfer all your sounds (banks) via sysex to your PC and try to work it out using the editors, it'a a lot easier and faster.

As for getting another T3, it may not be easy finding a good condition one for a good price. I was incredibly lucky when i got mine a few years ago in great condition for 120€, was practicality "given" away... Razz

You can also try to get (if you have another kb to use as controller) a M1R Ex, the expanded M1 rack that has all the T samples and can import the T series sysex files.
Or you can get Korg's Legacy series VST that has the virtual M1 with all the sounds and samples from the M and T series, and can import the HW M and T series sysex files too.

Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: