Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos + Integra 7 setup help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swarupmahapatra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Kronos + Integra 7 setup help Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

I recently bought a Roland Integra 7 to accompany my Kronos X.

My objective is to create StudioSets in the Integra 7 and operate them from Kronos Combis and SetLists. I do not want to change the Integra 7 programs, but just change the StudioSets with the change of Combis/SetLists. Like if Combi1 is assigned to StudioSet1 and Combi2 is assigned to StudioSet2, when I change Combi1 to Combi2, it should change StudioSet1 to StudioSet2 and same should be from the SetLists.

1. I have set up the MIDI connections properly with a dual MIDI cable (Kronos out – I7 in and I7 out – Kronos in).
2. Set up the MIDI channel to 16 on both the devices on Global settings.

But I am not able to do this and seeking your help. Please advise how should I do this.

Thanks in advance

Korg Kronos 2 61, Korg PA900, Korg NanoPad 2, Roland BA 330
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Swarup, these instructions should help you.

1) Disconnect the MIDI cable from Integra OUT to Kronos IN. This cable is not needed since the Integra is only receiving data, not sending it.

2) In the Integra MENU/System tab, ensure that Rx Program change is set to ON.

3) In Kronos GLOBAL mode, go to the MIDI/MIDI tab. In the upper right, where it says MIDI filter, ensure that Enable Program Change and Combination change under that are both selected.

Now, on the Kronos, whenever you change the Set List slot or select a Combi, you should get the corresponding Studio Set.

Keep in mind two things --

1) the Kronos starts counting at 0, but the Integra starts counting at 1. So when you select Kronos set list slot 45, the Integra will pull up Studio Set 46.

2) The Integra only has 64 Studio Sets. Selecting any set list slot or combi on the Kronos that is higher than 63 will result in no Studio Set change on the Integra.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One additional tip --

Every once in awhile, when the Integra receives data in a format it doesn't understand, it will change to an indeterminate state where the Studio Set is 0000. At that point it will no longer respond normally to Studio Set change requests when selecting Set List slot or Combi on the Kronos.

To fix this, simply manually select a Studio Set on the Integra. When the Studio Set then correctly shows 0001 thru 0064, it will operate normally again.
swarupmahapatra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
Hi Swarup, these instructions should help you.

1) Disconnect the MIDI cable from Integra OUT to Kronos IN. This cable is not needed since the Integra is only receiving data, not sending it.

2) In the Integra MENU/System tab, ensure that Rx Program change is set to ON.

3) In Kronos GLOBAL mode, go to the MIDI/MIDI tab. In the upper right, where it says MIDI filter, ensure that Enable Program Change and Combination change under that are both selected.

Now, on the Kronos, whenever you change the Set List slot or select a Combi, you should get the corresponding Studio Set.

Keep in mind two things --

1) the Kronos starts counting at 0, but the Integra starts counting at 1. So when you select Kronos set list slot 45, the Integra will pull up Studio Set 46.

2) The Integra only has 64 Studio Sets. Selecting any set list slot or combi on the Kronos that is higher than 63 will result in no Studio Set change on the Integra.

Thank you so much psionic311. I am going to try it out. Will keep you posted.

swarupmahapatra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
One additional tip --

Every once in awhile, when the Integra receives data in a format it doesn't understand, it will change to an indeterminate state where the Studio Set is 0000. At that point it will no longer respond normally to Studio Set change requests when selecting Set List slot or Combi on the Kronos.

To fix this, simply manually select a Studio Set on the Integra. When the Studio Set then correctly shows 0001 thru 0064, it will operate normally again.

Hello psionic311, so I did what you advised and it 90% worked. Thank you very much for the help!!

What is not working is - when I change the Combi/SetList and it calls the StudioSet, even though the StudioSet changes, the parts are not correct.

Like I created a StudioSet with -
Part1 - Jupiter Strings 1
Part2 - Juno Strings 1
Part3 - JX Strings

But when I call the StudioSet from the Kronos Combi the parts are like -
Part2 - Jupiter Strings 1
Part3 - Jupiter Strings 1

When I load the StudioSet from Integra 7 Menu, the parts are correct again.

Other StudioSets that I created are created are also getting loaded with random Parts.

Kronos settings -

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPunnfs0TBwoD1hhcqL_y6Wzvst7PYcqQO90fOF-TLc2HgPXqjlQ-LgAMuHzlLkkw/photo/AF1QipNxPqFeT8BN0gmy3nCTcc5mriIY_bCWnBo4IK-q?key=TXJJNC1iZmZzX05adU5iRzlObXRmWmplZkNvX2dn

Integra 7 settings -

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPunnfs0TBwoD1hhcqL_y6Wzvst7PYcqQO90fOF-TLc2HgPXqjlQ-LgAMuHzlLkkw/photo/AF1QipMbLlnmdtmw9tejQeK1O0RFU3H2w9MwoeX55CLC?key=TXJJNC1iZmZzX05adU5iRzlObXRmWmplZkNvX2dn

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPunnfs0TBwoD1hhcqL_y6Wzvst7PYcqQO90fOF-TLc2HgPXqjlQ-LgAMuHzlLkkw/photo/AF1QipNWKX16MHICZi-6hsYvH2o73Otjyb1HLeodQCuZ?key=TXJJNC1iZmZzX05adU5iRzlObXRmWmplZkNvX2dn

Actual StudioSet -

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPunnfs0TBwoD1hhcqL_y6Wzvst7PYcqQO90fOF-TLc2HgPXqjlQ-LgAMuHzlLkkw/photo/AF1QipMN1tS3uH7D9XXVgC7tAzb7guLKvDbJ6mSm6ocX?key=TXJJNC1iZmZzX05adU5iRzlObXRmWmplZkNvX2dn

Same StudioSet when called from Kronos Combis -

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPunnfs0TBwoD1hhcqL_y6Wzvst7PYcqQO90fOF-TLc2HgPXqjlQ-LgAMuHzlLkkw/photo/AF1QipNIQVkc3KrkP5_uUTL3V7RO73RhC3GfTkAXHWES?key=TXJJNC1iZmZzX05adU5iRzlObXRmWmplZkNvX2dn

geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swarupmahapatra wrote:
psionic311 wrote:
One additional tip --

Hello psionic311, so I did what you advised and it 90% worked. Thank you very much for the help!!

What is not working is - when I change the Combi/SetList and it calls the StudioSet, even though the StudioSet changes, the parts are not correct.

Part2 - Juno Strings 1
Part3 - JX Strings

Other StudioSets that I created are created are also getting loaded with random Parts.

Kronos settings -

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPunnfs0TBwoD1hhcqL_y6Wzvst7PYcqQO90fOF-TLc2HgPXqjlQ-LgAMuHzlLkkw/photo/AF1QipNxPqFeT8BN0gmy3nCTcc5mriIY_bCWnBo4IK-q?key=TXJJNC1iZmZzX05adU5iRzlObXRmWmplZkNvX2dn

Integra 7 settings -

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPunnfs0TBwoD1hhcqL_y6Wzvst7PYcqQO90fOF-TLc2HgPXqjlQ-LgAMuHzlLkkw/photo/AF1QipMbLlnmdtmw9tejQeK1O0RFU3H2w9MwoeX55CLC?key=TXJJNC1iZmZzX05adU5iRzlObXRmWmplZkNvX2dn

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPunnfs0TBwoD1hhcqL_y6Wzvst7PYcqQO90fOF-TLc2HgPXqjlQ-LgAMuHzlLkkw/photo/AF1QipNWKX16MHICZi-6hsYvH2o73Otjyb1HLeodQCuZ?key=TXJJNC1iZmZzX05adU5iRzlObXRmWmplZkNvX2dn

Actual StudioSet -

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPunnfs0TBwoD1hhcqL_y6Wzvst7PYcqQO90fOF-TLc2HgPXqjlQ-LgAMuHzlLkkw/photo/AF1QipMN1tS3uH7D9XXVgC7tAzb7guLKvDbJ6mSm6ocX?key=TXJJNC1iZmZzX05adU5iRzlObXRmWmplZkNvX2dn

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPunnfs0TBwoD1hhcqL_y6Wzvst7PYcqQO90fOF-TLc2HgPXqjlQ-LgAMuHzlLkkw/photo/AF1QipNIQVkc3KrkP5_uUTL3V7RO73RhC3GfTkAXHWES?key=TXJJNC1iZmZzX05adU5iRzlObXRmWmplZkNvX2dn

Try disabling the program change from combination in Global. The set list sends a PC which should be enough. Having additional PC messages coming from a combi selected from a set list may be changing your settings in the Roland.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swarupmahapatra wrote:
psionic311 wrote:
One additional tip --

Part2 - Juno Strings 1
Part3 - JX Strings

Kronos settings -

Integra 7 settings -

Actual StudioSet -

Try disabling the program change from combination is Global. The set list sends a PC which should be enough. Having additional PC messages coming from a combi selected from a set list may be changing your settings in the Roland.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
swarupmahapatra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:
swarupmahapatra wrote:
psionic311 wrote:
One additional tip --

Part2 - Juno Strings 1
Part3 - JX Strings

Kronos settings -

Integra 7 settings -

Actual StudioSet -

Try disabling the program change from combination is Global. The set list sends a PC which should be enough. Having additional PC messages coming from a combi selected from a set list may be changing your settings in the Roland.

Geo

Hi Geo, thanks for the input. But sorry that did not work. Disabling the Program Change simply stopped changing any StudioSets.

But anyway I noticed a point to be noted -

The problem only occurs when I call the StudioSets that are either newly created by me or any preset StudioSet that is edited by me. All the untouched preset StudioSets just work fine.

psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you edit a Studio Set, be sure to save your edits as you go along.

It will help troubleshooting if you describe your set up. Are there any other MIDI devices involved?

Also, you'll want to disable "Enable Exclusive" from the Kronos GLOBAL MIDI Filter.
mm-pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos sends a program change matching the Combi on the global channel that the instrument is set to. The Combi also sends out program changes on every MIDI channel used within it. This is what is changing your StudioSets. Program changes will not be sent out on parts within the Combi that are set to the global channel. So, for sounds in the combi that you want to play on the Kronos, set them to the global MIDI channel. For sounds you want to play on the Roland’s StudioSet, set those parts to EX2 and set the MIDI channel on the combi to match the channel for that sound in the StudioSet. Turn all the other slots in the Combi to off.

It would be best for the StudioSets not to have individual parts set to the MIDI channel that matches the one set to select the StudioSet.

I think that should do it.
mm-pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thought, if it is possible on the Integra to turn off MIDI program changes for the parts in a StudioSet, then turn that off. Obviously, that would have to be a setting that didn’t also turn off the program change to select the StudioSet. If there is no such thing, then the only solution may be to use the EX2 parts on the Kronos Combi to select the parts you want loaded into the StudioSet by sending the correct bank & program change messages on each MIDI channel.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're 90% there, and we're looking in the right direction by double checking settings. I'm totally able to call up a Kronos Set List slot or combi and have the corresponding pre-made Studio Set pull up on the Integra, with all programs intact.

I'll share my settings --

KRONOS
GLOBAL MIDI / MIDI / MIDI Filter
Enable Program Change ON
Bank Change OFF
Program Change OFF
Enable Control Change ON
Enable Aftertouch ON
Enable Exclusive OFF

INTEGRA
MENU /SYSTEM / MIDI
USB-MIDI Thru OFF
Tx Edit Data OFF
Rx Program Change ON
Rx Bank Select OFF
Rx Exclusive OFF
Rx GM System On OFF
Rx GM2 System On OFF
Rx GS Reset OFF

I use Global MIDI Channel 1 on my Kronos, and it matches the Integra Studio Set Control Channel set at Ch 1.

My Kronos combis consist of sounds on three different MIDI channels (1 = Kronos 61 keybed, 2 = lower half of Novation X-station, 3 = Novation upper half). The Integra Studio Set consists of programs on up to 3 channels if needed, to match / layer with the Kronos combi.

Hopefully this helps the OP achieve his goal.
swarupmahapatra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi psionic311 and mm-pro,

Thanks for the tip. I did figure out finally how to change the Integra studio set from Kronos Combi/Set List 2 days back. Here is what I did in the Combi along with implementing the previous tips -

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM-JmHZX83_zCz6h6VfVkjjQC1XqhbGLx-xLJ6r

I unchecked all the "Enable Program Change" check boxes on which I set the channels to EX2.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: