Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amplification / Speaker system for PA4X
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chelsea4023 wrote:
Hi,

Sorry for my previous post, I re-read it a couple of times and it looks like a "look what I've got" post. I honestly did not mean it to read like that.
Point is, as a home player (and a poor one at that) I wanted a nice sounding sound system for the PA4X without it looking like a Def Leppard P.A. stack at a live gig. I decided to go down the hi-fi route as this is more wife-friendly.
I've had a succession of Q.Acoustic speakers culminating in the Concept 20's which are an award winning, incredible value for money standmount pair of speakers that sound amazing (last second hand pair I purchased cost me £170). Due to the small size of them I added a basic Wharfedale SW150 subwoofer that cost around £70 (also secondhand). The Denon AVR receiver is around five years old and is obviously the weak link therefore I plan to replace that before anything else. Without spending a fortune, Marantz seem to make very nice stereo amps like the M6006 which get great reviews. I know for a fact that people have combined the Concept 20's with the Marantz PM range with favourable results.

You can assemble a selection of good quality hi-fi seperates, but it doesn't neccessarily mean they will work well together. I have also recently hit some stoney ground by introducing a Xenyx 1202 mixer but that minefield's for another thread.

Christophe, by the sound of it you already have the equipment required. I struggled to find a supplier for the correct cables (good quality ones) jack to phono stereo. If you have any good ones, please let me know the make. Ebay meanwhile have hundreds to choose from.

Chris

p.s. One frustrating thing I find (particularly with piano sounds) is that when you have stereo speakers either side of the keyboard the lower notes predominately come from the left speaker and the high end from the right speaker. Play it in mono but you do lose something in the sound.
Hi Chris try these
... stagg-ntc1-5pcmr-1-5m-5ft-twin-1-4-inch-male-jack-to-rca-phono-cable
chelsea4023

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi D575,

Many thanks, ordered a pair today. Very nice as the shop who sells them is three miles from where I live and only £15 collected. Very Happy

Chris
Eduardo_Arg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chelsea4023:

About your PS: piano samples (see each OSC on edit sound option) matches keyboard scale, so in stereo you'll get deepest notes on mid to left side, and high notes mid to right increasing sound volumen notes on each side.- Mid notes will sound equally on both speaker so you'll get a correct stereo perception. You can modify these editing each piano sound.- First copy & paste the piano sound you want to modify, on a free slot user sounds.- Thats all.-
Eduardo
chelsea4023

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eduardo,
Thank you for that information. I will definitely give it a try.
Chris
Johnmak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my pa4x I spent a morning in the store trying all manner of speakers. Choices like Yamaha and Mackie monitors were significantly more expensive than the PAAS. Double the price with decent stands. Some of the big EV and JBL powered cabinets were amazing sounding but not suitable for my living room and about three times the cost of PAAS.
So I bought the PAAS and it is perfectly acceptable sound for home use and no power chord needed, no speaker cables. Very tidy. But expensive for what it is. At half the price it would be a good buy.
mstodola

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what kind of power you are looking for. But if you are only looking to play at home you really ought to look at the IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitors ultra-compact 3" studio monitors with bluetooth. I heard PianoManChuck on youtube use them and they sounded great. After researching them and the reviews, I got a pair (they come as a pair) and sent them to my niece and she loves them. They are not expensive and if you don't need a ton of power these might do you.
chelsea4023

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mstodola,

I have seen these speakers before and they look amazing.
At the moment, I'm looking to make some changes to my existing setup (which I am quite happy with). I have been reading today about the Marantz PM6006 U.K. edition amplifier which has various modifications made to the existing PM6006 making it a warmer sound in general. Something I like in a sound (warmth). This was the main reason I got rid of my Tyros 5, because to me it always sounded too clinical (particularly the string sections) which I believe Yamaha have corrected with the brilliant Genos arranger. Not changing keyboards again though !!

I recently purchased a used Roland RD2000 at a great price. Today was my first opportunity to spend some quality time with it (while watching the snowdrifts outside) !! I thought I would try it out on a small 2.1 sub/sat system I bought used from Gumtree for £60 in the summer. It's an Acoustic Energy Aego M system. I connected it all up, switched the piano on and O.M.G. what a stunning sound it gives. I spent a good four hours going through all the different voices and it sounds amazing through this small speaker system.

Thank you for tip about the Micro monitors,

Chris
chelsea4023

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Johnmak,

I have noticed the PAAS, and wondered if I could use that and my external speakers both at the same time (for a fuller sound).

Have a look at the two ads below,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KORG-PaAS-Speaker-for-Korg-PA3X-PA4X-Keyboard-Mint-Condition/122991579258?hash=item1ca2de907a:g:10AAAOSwB15alZSJ

https://www.gumtree.com/p/electric-keyboards/korg-paas-speaker-for-pa3x-or-pa4x-keyboard/1288780820

Probably the same guy.

Chris
chelsea4023

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
I did ask this question in my previous post but did not get an answer from anybody, but reading Mabcomp's post it might be possible.
Can you use a PAAS speaker bar and external amplification and speakers at the same time on a PA4X ? Some cheaper keyboards will not allow you to do this. I recently purchased a Yamaha DGX660 which does allow internal and external speakers to be used at the same time, but the 650,640,630 and 620 would not allow it.
Chris
MacKenzie617

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: PAAS Speaker Bar and External Amplification Reply with quote

Yes you can use the PAAS speaker bar and external amplification. I use the speaker bar and a JBL Eon 1 amp. Usually I set the Eon 1 output as high as I can, and keep the PAAS output to a comfortable level that is not too high using the master volume on the 4x. Additional adjustment on the balance control helps. I did at first make up a small cardboard baffle that deflects some of the PAAS volume as it can be overpowering at high levels, however setting of the amp and keyboard volumes does the job. I also find that using a Shure head set Mike helps where you have troublesome feedback, although if you set up your output frequency and gain levels feedback is not a problem

Jim
chelsea4023

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the information. I'm definitely going to consider getting one.
Chris
Chris26

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I just got my jbl lsr305 and I am wondering how to set up my studio monitors. Any suggestions?
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more detail here http://arqen.com/acoustics-101/room-setup-speaker-placement/ and worth some consideration if recording is important to you https://www.sonarworks.com/reference?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAjwyqTqBRAyEiwA8K_4O7XAC9h7HwWpKDX9qvuKm7n4A-TyoWDJiUQPapzsF9smLF5_ocEwKRoCXWYQAvD_BwE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: