Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos vs Polysix Comparison
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guessed wrong apparently. What sounded warmer and more lively to me was actually the Kronos, according to Synthee. For live gig use, it's much easier to use built in virtual analog synths than carting out separate analog beasts. Kronos wins easily here. Digital definitely has its appropriate uses, as does analog. Whatever works best for the musician's needs is the bottom line.

In my mind, there is still a significant difference between analog generated oscillators pumping through physical circuitry compared to digital replications going thru an AD converter. I know this is rehashing an old debate, but from my perspective, in a live situation, analog still trumps virtual for presence, fullness, sizzle, and low end bump, and cutting through the din of a loud rock band. What you hear on headphones does not equate to what you hear in person thru a full PA in a large room, as any bedroom bassist will tell you.

And of course some VAs are better than others, even in the Kronos, as far as fullness and color goes for standard subtractive synth tones. Here's how I rate the engines for the gear that I have. The Kronos PolysixEX does well. Great for 80's synth sounds.

Andy > Minitaur > OB6 > Micron > Integra > PolysixEX > MS-20EX > OPX > AL1 > Fusion > X-station

That's subject to my memory though. Following Synthee's example, I'm going to post side by side sound comparisons of the above. I'm going to play Jump intro and solo using 2 sawtooth OSCs with minimum detune, no FX, and filter wide open. Dusting off some neglected synths here just for this fun little exercise. Stay tuned...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: