Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quirk with my recently won E2 Sampler, so, wld U Hv Kept It?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WestLondoner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Quirk with my recently won E2 Sampler, so, wld U Hv Kept It? Reply with quote

A couple of months back, I won an E2S on the auction site, and it' still in absolutely stunning condition, just as described. Yep, it was described by him as "unwanted and used for fewer than a handful of times", and as luck woutld have it, the seller could not have been more honest - sure enough when I received and turned it on, went through the presets and soon came across the only, one bar, incomplete pattern he attempted to compose with it - selling it made absolute sense. Without wishing to be critical of him, it was clear he wasn't able to put two beats together - never mind an entire song. I was delighted: Here I was with a boxed Electribe Sampler with which I saved well over a hundred notes from new, having all of its wires, manual, all in pristine condition, as well as a new desktop saver thrown in to boot. What could possibly be wrong with it!?
Two hours after opening it, I realised that... it also came with a 'quirk' - which my E2 did not feature...
On any four bar pattern, once you engage the sequencer, buttons '1' to '3' work perfectly, but button '4' usually doesn't register without multiple taps to get its LED to engage. You could not, in other words, always edit the sequence of the fourth bar - without having to press button '4' again and again. The thing is, once you do get it going, it seems to work well usually until the machine is turned off again, and then, once again, it may or may not work as it should - without multiple presses first. And as we all know, that button '4' is also used to increase the octave whilst in keyboard mode, so it's not as if a quirky button 4, *only* affects usage of the sequencer.
So I thought long and hard about it, and decided to contact the seller to give him the news that I was absolutely delighted with my purchase save for a temperamental button '4' when in sequencer mode, and he took offence to my query, claiming that he'd hardly used it, and knew of no faults with it whatsoever. Which made sense. I would feel the same, if I'd basically hardly used something and then sold it only to be told that there was a niggling quirk with it. Also, he claims not to have the receipt, so a warranty repair is out of the question.
I responded that I'd try updating the f/w and get back to him if the issue was still present, which, in truth, it is.
And what did I do? Eventually I decided just to live with its quirky button '4'. It usually takes less than a minute of repeated pressing to get it to light, and then, once it finally lights, it tends not to 'act up' or go AWOL for the rest of the session. Of course, if I were depending on it for live performance, there would be no way I could accept a quirky button '4'. But I don't, I just enjoy composing on it, and I'm aware that far worse could happen to a complicated electronic instrument, and besides I'm confident that the seller probably wasn't even aware that it even had such a quirk.
But what would you have done? Would you have insisted on returning it for a full refund? Or do you agree that keeping it was probably the best option? I'm thinking as well that perhaps one of you might even have an idea why one of the 1-4 buttons needs repeated pressing to light, as the others instantly do when pressed, and that it might even be easily repairable? Can't find any other issues with it either. Still, I would be interested in others comments on this quirk please.
Thank you.
Steeplemouth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably just live with it. You've saved over 100 quid buying second hand, that issue seems like a reasonable trade off. If it was one of the pads or one of the buttons that switch modes, then it may be a different story, but the 4 button isn't going to see that much action.

Even if you were playing live with it, I don't know that you'd be using that button much live unless you wanted to play around with the step jump feature on the 4th bar or something like that.
WestLondoner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, aye, that's just the way I'm seeing it too. Thanks for your response.

BTW, compared to the E2, frankly, 'note stealing' is a far bigger problem on the sampler model, than I ever expected it would be. Basically (just as other owners are all too aware by now) I haven't been able to compose a single song, using all of the pads in any one pattern, without 'note stealing' ruining it, long before I've been able to use all of the pads. I'm left thinking that this generation of Electribe samplers either needs more processing memory, more processing power or both. Come to think of it - if any one of the pads was acting up the same way as my unit's button 4, I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest - even when trying multiple combinations of prioritising certain sampled parts, over others, I still can't use all of the pads, in any one pattern anyway! So 'note stealing' unquestionably gets my vote for the biggest problem with the sampler model, followed by such limited sample storage memory.
Steeplemouth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always resample and consolidate a few tracks to one pad. That is one way around voice stealing and is something that I assume you can't do with the synth version.

My biggest gripe with the E2S is the 25mb sample limit and the maddening sample management system it has. I have created some very interesting loops with it but the limitations drove me crazy so I bit the bullet and bought an Octatrack. Currently have around 40gb of samples on it with another 20gb free on the card. No more swapping SD cards or any of that, and I have barely touched my E2S since I got the OT.
WestLondoner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steeplemouth, good call on consolidation and resampling. Definitely a way out Wink albeit losing the ability to pan etc., individual sounds, on final editing, is of course the compromise with doing that. But as long as that's not an issue, I have to agree and you're right too, there's no resampling on the E2.

You know what, I owned an Octatrack for over a year until 4 months ago, as I just couldn't justify putting so much money into an instrument when I suddenly found myself with more bills to pay that I could handle at the time, so it had to go. That and the fact that once the o2 came out, I became concerned that achieving over 800 for it (which is what I got) wasn't going to be for very long. But don't get me wrong - in an ideal world, I would, of course, have kept it, and fair play to you for choosing wisely. IOW, I couldn't approve more of your choice.
Steeplemouth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I hear you re: the cost and justifying it. I had my eye on one for a long time before I bought it, and I saved up a little each month in order to get it. I bought it second hand and got a good deal on it.

Glad I bought it though, I've never looked back since. I had planned to sell my E2S but I want to export my patterns first and import them into the OT. I may actually keep it and slave the E2S to OT, so I can use the E2S for drums and free up some of the OT tracks. I think they would compliment each other nicely.
morebyless

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: 2 units both faulty Reply with quote

I had 2 of these Electribe 2 Samplers and both were faulty in different ways.

Touch pad initially triggering random sounds on power up. Then on a replacement unit I had a board failure. Korg UK repaired it after many weeks but it still did not work. Eventually I got my money back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: