Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trouble w MS2K <-> MacBook

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Svalan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Trouble w MS2K <-> MacBook Reply with quote

Greetings!

I've been looking through the forums for an answer to my question, but no luck so far...

I'm trying to MIDI dump a patch I made but it doesn't seem to work, and I don't understand what the problem is. I'm hoping the KORG MS2K community will help me solve the issue.

Setup:
MS2K -> MIDI Interface (MIDI to USB cable) -> Mac.

The cable is hooked up so that the cable's IN is plugged into the MS2K's OUT socket and vice versa. It is one of these: https://www.gear4music.se/en/Recording-and-Computers/Twin-MIDI-to-USB-Interface-Cable-15m/1RPG

When I ask the MS2K to dump "1 prog" (the patch I want to backup) I can see something is going on. The MIDI monitor and SysEx Librarian from Snoize both tell me that data has been transferred and I end up with a .syx-file. But the MS2000 Librarian (by Daz) cannot read the file. Just tells me that it's not a KORG compatible file at all.

Also... and this has got to be related; I can't use the "audition" function in the MS2000 Librarian. I have set "Write Protect" to Off and "System ex" is set to ENA.

Is it the cable that is screwing me over or is there some setting I am missing? I know the interface cable works because I can play software synths in GarageBand.app using this same setup, for instance. The signal is there.

Any help would be much appreciated, I'm such a noob when it comes to MIDI and stuff. Razz

Regards,
Svalan
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, some USB-MIDI cables work fine for notes and controls (short MIDI messages), but they have problems with sysex transfers (long MIDI messages).
So if possible, try another cable.

Another test you can try. After dumping one program, choose another program on your board and send the sysex file back with Snoize. The board should sound again the same as the program you dumped. If that works fine, then the problem is not the cable. If it does not work, most likely it is due to the cable.

Good luck.
Svalan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, okay. That sounds like a good idea. I’ll try it with a fatter interface, like a PreSonus Audiobox or something like that.

I sure hope it’s the cable...

Thanks for your reply! I appreciate it.
Svalan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that was it. Thanks a bundle OpAmp! Works perfectly with a more capable interface.

Good times.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: