Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vox Continental ? Anyone try it yet?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blazerunner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Vox Continental ? Anyone try it yet? Reply with quote

Been looking at this keyboard but haven't heard anything about it other than a couple of online demo's. Is it a good set of keys or not? It has some of the Kronos and Grand stage engines in it. I'm wondering if it's the same sounds though. Would it be worth a purchase?
xp50player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played it in the store. The drawbar system is different, with concave touch grooves. I would rather have Nord switches or just about anything else for that control surface. The APs/EPs were to my liking. I thought this was supposed to have the MOD-7 FM engine from the Kronos, but I guess not, they are sampled. This board has a decent selection of other bread and butter sounds and typical coverband synth sounds. You can save 4-part splits & layers and access them pretty easliy. If my primary interest was tonewheel organs, I would probably spend a little more and get the Nord Electro 5D, for the physical drawbars and better regarded tonewheel/rotary emulation.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i did... in a store...

The drawbars take some getting used to...

But in fact its nothing but a downgraded Kronos (as is the Grand stage)
However it would be great to have the 2 new organ engines in the kronos, they do sound great.

its a great instrument for people that like the simplified formfactor.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bachus

Did you think it is in any way a competitor to Nord?

Cheers
Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xp50player wrote:
The drawbar system is different, with concave touch grooves. I would rather have Nord switches

The Nord "drawbuttons" are pretty useless for live manipulation. They can be globally set for one of two speeds... fast, which is fine for setting a drawbar fully in or out, but not useful for anything in between or more gradual; and slow, which is no good for quickly bringing something all the way in or out. At least the Vox should let you move the bars at whatever speed you want at any time.

xp50player wrote:
You can save 4-part splits & layers and access them pretty easliy.

Layers, but no splits (except upper and lower organ registrations).

Bachus wrote:
But in fact its nothing but a downgraded Kronos

...except it's 18.5 lbs for 73 keys, which is pretty useful (and lighter for 61). Also, it has the nutube.

karmathanever wrote:
Did you think it is in any way a competitor to Nord?

Electro is the closest Nord.

Piano: Nord has a wider variety of different pianos (and I happen to generally like Nord pianos more than Korg's), but if the one in the Vox works for you, it might be all you need.

Organ: Nord is better for tonewheel organ. Even apart from whatever you think of the sound, Vox lacks a lot of controls (percussion pitch/volume/decay, C/V type, key click and leakage, any rotary parameters beyond being able to switch speed), and most people would probably prefer the real drawbars (of the Nord models that have them), though the touchstrips do have the virtue of always being at the "right" position. I couldn't say which is better for transistor organs.

EP: I'd probably lean toward the Vox, based on my feelings of Kronos vs Nord EPs, plus the tube.

Synth: Vox beats the Electro, in having pitch bend and controls for attack, decay, release, filer cutoff/resonance, LFO (vibrato) amount/speed.

In overall functionality, Nord lets you split sounds, and store a lot more of your own custom patches than the 16 of the Vox. Nord also allows you to add your own custom samples, and has better MIDI capabilities.

I'd say the Nord is stronger overall, but I might prefer the Vox for EP and synth.

ETA: Clarifying about the organ... As I understand it, there are factory preset organ sounds with different amounts of click and leakage (and you can still alter the drawbars from these presets), so you do have some variation here, but there is no direct control of click or leakage parameters.
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the keybed like? It is advertised to be somewhere between weighted and unweighted.
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPROBERTLA wrote:
What is the keybed like? It is advertised to be somewhere between weighted and unweighted.

Semi-weighted. Which is basically an unweighted action with some weight added to give it more heft, but is not like what people typically call a weighted action which would have a hammer mechanism in it. So it's closer to organ/synth than it is to piano.
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it comfortable enough playing acoustic and electric pianos?
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPROBERTLA wrote:
Was it comfortable enough playing acoustic and electric pianos?

I haven't been able to try it personally yet, though the people discussing the action in another forum seem pretty impressed with it for piano playing, as semi-weighted actions go.

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2887531/new_Vox_Continental_Some_thoug#Post2887531
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Yes i did... in a store...

The drawbars take some getting used to...

But in fact its nothing but a downgraded Kronos (as is the Grand stage)
However it would be great to have the 2 new organ engines in the kronos, they do sound great.

its a great instrument for people that like the simplified formfactor.

No, its far far from the formfactor of the Nord stage..
Nothing comes close to the real time controll of the NS3...

Soundwise its a matter of opinion tough
The korg has written kronos sound all over..
I like the korg sound... some people however would never sell their Nord for a korg.
VOXCsoldme

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Vox Continental Reply with quote

Tried a lot of friends' keyboards but shortly after it came out became intrigued by the Vox C 73. About 18 months old now, and still like it a lot. The software upgrade was huge too.
As someone that is not used to playing with drawbars, I found the Vox setup much easier and more flexible than the physical ones. Can understand how physical ones would be preferred if that is what you are used to, but starting from scratch I appreciate the digital touch controls are faster and can be easily be moved quickly with one finger.
Really tried to like the Nord but simply found the keybed unpleasant to play. Guess it's personal taste.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: