Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is everything in a Korg Radias also inside a Kronos 2?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
studio460

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Is everything in a Korg Radias also inside a Kronos 2? Reply with quote

I bought a used Radias way back in 2007, which I've always really liked (though, like everything else, never really figured it all out). It was my first and only Korg instrument of any kind until I got my Kronos 2 a few weeks ago.

I found this thread here through a Google search, but since my brain is synthesizer-challenged, most of it goes over my head. I guess I'm asking if the Radias' hardware interface (all the blinking knobs) make it easier to play with its MMT-engine, rather than trying to manipulate the Kronos' AL-1 engine? What is the difference between the Radias' MMT-engine and the Kronos' AL-1? (Or am I speaking apples and oranges?) I hope my question makes some kind of sense—thanks for any replies!

Korg Nautilus 61 AT + DS1H + EXP2 | Korg Kronos 2 Platinum 88 | Korg Radias | Korg Kaoss Pad KP3+ | Kaossilator Pro+ | Kronos Remote iOS
PCG Tools v3.2.0 | WavesArt Cinematic Suite EXs

voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple answer is no. At the hardware level, the component inventories are quite different. If the question is "Can the Radias be emulated by the Kronos?" then the answer again has to be no. There is no specific Radias "engine" in the Kronos and there are no Programs or Combis that allude to Radias origins. If the question was "Can Radias sounds be produced by the Kronos?" then the answer is yes, some of them can, or at least can be made to sound quite close.

Quoting Danatkorg from the linked thread: "The AL-1 and RADIAS really are fairly different synths; each can do things that the other cannot."

Because of the differences, the Radias is a useful adjunct to the Kronos. Driven by the Kronos' MIDI out, the Radias can thicken up the Kronos' sounds in quite interesting and sometimes subtle ways, creating something unique. It's a bit like adding extra Programs to a Kronos Combi without affecting polyphony.

studio460

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Because of the differences, the Radias is a useful adjunct to the Kronos . . .

Wow! Thanks for that great answer, voip! Your post really helped clear that up and summarized many key points (in a way I could easily understand!). That's great to know!

Korg Nautilus 61 AT + DS1H + EXP2 | Korg Kronos 2 Platinum 88 | Korg Radias | Korg Kaoss Pad KP3+ | Kaossilator Pro+ | Kronos Remote iOS
PCG Tools v3.2.0 | WavesArt Cinematic Suite EXs

CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Is everything in a Korg Radias also inside a Kronos 2? Reply with quote

studio460 wrote:
I'm asking if the Radias' hardware interface (all the blinking knobs) make it easier to play with its MMT-engine, rather than trying to manipulate the Kronos' AL-1 engine?

Yes the Radias interface is more tactile than the Kronos' control surface. The default Tone Adjust maps for each engine are logically setup but of course the knobs/buttons are unlabeled. Someone made print outs for the PolysixEX and MS-20EX to overlay on the Kronos control surface for convenience: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=79355
His download link actually still works.

studio460 wrote:
What is the difference between the Radias' MMT-engine and the Kronos' AL-1? (Or am I speaking apples and oranges?)

The MMT engine is sort of a Jack of all trades, master of none. Where the Radias touches upon different synthesis types, the Kronos will have a dedicated engine. For instance the Radias has a comb filter but the Kronos has STR-1. Or the Radias can do VPM but the Kronos has all of MOD-7. Wavesequencing in the Radias is easily trumped by HD-1 etc etc.
With that said, STR-1 doesn't sound like the Karplus-Strong algorithm implemented in MMT and the Radias cross modulation sounds quite different from it's analog in AL-1. As Voip said, that gives the two synthesizers unique appeal. I made a video doing some direct comparisons between complex patches in both the Radias and Kronos:
Hopefully that will give you an idea of some of the subtle differences between the two synthesizers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: