Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favorite VST/AU/WAV libraries you use with your Kronos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
studio460

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's the thing, Greg. The new NI keyboard finally turns your DAW into an instrument. Finally, I think the discrete line between musician and computer has been traversed. I think this will be an incredibly revealing experience, playing the Komplete softsynths through the Komplete Mk2 keyboard.

Korg Nautilus 61 AT + DS1H + EXP2 | Korg Kronos 2 Platinum 88 | Korg Radias | Korg Kaoss Pad KP3+ | Kaossilator Pro+ | Kronos Remote iOS
PCG Tools v3.2.0 | WavesArt Cinematic Suite EXs

ScottB601

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: DAW Integration Reply with quote

I have Logic 10.4, a collection of after-market soft-synths such as Omnisphere 2, G-Force imOSCar, G-Force Minimonsta, Oddity, etc. I want to use my Kronos as a midi-controller for Logic, so I can play the Kronos like an external instrument. Press the Kronos keys and activate Logic sounds. I don't want to use Logic to control Kronos. I want the Kronos to control Logic - in terms of midi and sounds. For those of you doing this, care to share how? I think I can connect the Kronos to my 27" iMac (also new) via USB and just set up a software instrument track in Logic and choose "external instrument" as the instrument plug-in, but I haven't tried that yet. Thoughts? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Buueelllller?

Korg Kronos 2-73, Korg Kronos 61, Roland Jupiter-80, Roland V-Drums expanded kit, Novation Impulse 61, Yamaha Clavinova CVP-407, Ensoniq VFX-sd, Casio CZ5000 (!)
leonh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks that Kronos is becoming an expensive midi keyboard as not many people use it alone but mostly in connection with various DAW so is easy to understand why Korg won't upgrade Kronos as workstation .
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leonh wrote:
It looks that Kronos is becoming an expensive midi keyboard as not many people use it alone but mostly in connection with various DAW so is easy to understand why Korg won't upgrade Kronos as workstation .

Many folks use their keyboard with a DAW for composition, recording and general studio use. Some even live. Many more use their keyboard standalone, especially when playing live. We have many options. You make it sound like people are adding DAW's to extend the Kronos' viability. I seriously doubt this. When I used a Triton pro with a computer it was to bring more sounds and power to my live setup. It was an option made available with MIDI. I got the Kronos because I would be able to stop using a computer making my setup easier. The Triton was still the same instrument it was 10 years after I bought it. When I bought the Kronos I didn't expect any updates and like everyone was simply grateful when they were made available. Now it's even more powerful than when I bought it. Adding a MIDI module or a DAW is simply an option, not a requirement. So far I have been able to stay with just the Kronos 61 and an 88-note controller. If I choose to add a computer it would be a decision I make based on options available and specific needs.

A MIDI controller often is a keyboard with no sounds. A Kronos is a workstation that sounds far and away better than most other products out there. Wanna add a computer for more features, fine. That doesn't make the Kronos any less.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
leonh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:
leonh wrote:

Many folks use their keyboard with a DAW for composition, recording and general studio use. Some even live. Many more use their keyboard standalone, especially when playing live. We have many options. You make it sound like people are adding DAW's to extend the Kronos' viability. I seriously doubt this. When I used a Triton pro with a computer it was to bring more sounds and power to my live setup. It was an option made available with MIDI. I got the Kronos because I would be able to stop using a computer making my setup easier. The Triton was still the same instrument it was 10 years after I bought it. When I bought the Kronos I didn't expect any updates and like everyone was simply grateful when they were made available. Now it's even more powerful than when I bought it. Adding a MIDI module or a DAW is simply an option, not a requirement. So far I have been able to stay with just the Kronos 61 and an 88-note controller. If I choose to add a computer it would be a decision I make based on options available and specific needs.

A MIDI controller often is a keyboard with no sounds. A Kronos is a workstation that sounds far and away better than most other products out there. Wanna add a computer for more features, fine. That doesn't make the Kronos any less.

Geo

I agree with you I did use many DAW in the past starting with Cubase couple of decades ago and they are good tools for making music .
I am coming from M1 generation so to me Kronos is all I ever need only limitation is a player not the Kronos and I would not spend thousands if Kronos was not up to the task so (and this is subjective so my opinion only) if you can't make music with Kronos then 🤗
Saying that we are all different with different preferences and needs .
ScottB601

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmmm K. Anyway, to get back to my question, if we could, have you connected the Kronos to a DAW? My reasoning is totally different than what you think. I love the feel of the Kronos2 keybed, and I want to use that instead of the "synth action" keys on my Novation Impulse. I also intend to figure out a way to set up the Kronos so that it will operate Logic and Omnisphere and other soft-synths, and also be able to record, at the touch of a "button", its magnificent audio into Logic as audio tracks. I bought the two Kronos I have because I started with an OASYS and ever since I've loved the internal engines and sounds therein. I certainly don't intend to treat it like an "expensive midi keyboard". I just want to lose the Novation Impulse.
studio460

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't hooked up my Kronos via USB to Logic yet, though I am using my Fantom G as a USB audio-interface to my iMac (works great in High Sierra, even with their 10-year-old USB-driver). I have a Nektar LX25+ USB MIDI controller now hooked up to my iMac and sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

It didn't even occur to me to try using my Fantom keyboard as a controller for Logic (my Fantom 88-key action is easier and nicer than my Kronos' 88-key action). I'll give that a try and see if I can make it work tonight . . .

Korg Nautilus 61 AT + DS1H + EXP2 | Korg Kronos 2 Platinum 88 | Korg Radias | Korg Kaoss Pad KP3+ | Kaossilator Pro+ | Kronos Remote iOS
PCG Tools v3.2.0 | WavesArt Cinematic Suite EXs

leonh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to your original question Kronos is a bit of headache to work with DAW as it meant to be a workstation on its own of course you can record tracks ect but when you get into small details then is harder
Montage is much better to work with DAW (I had one so talking from experience) everything works perfect because Montage was created to work with them while Kronos was created to be a workstation on its own hence the problems.
ScottB601

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have been a bit more specific also - I don't want Kronos to map out to various control parameters. All I want to do is press a key on the Kronos and have it send midi to output a sound in Logic using a soft synth. I'm going to use Stephen Kay's idea of just creating a new combi with a timbre statis of EXT and then I can just hit that combi to "convert" the Kronos into a midi controller as far as keys go. I'll dig around back there soon and tease out the relevant cables.
Korg Kronos 2-73, Korg Kronos 2-61, Yamaha Clavinova CVP-407, Roland Jupiter-80, Roland V-Drums expanded, Novation Impulse, Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2, JBL EON 515s + JBL EON 518s, Adam A7x studio monitors + Adam Sub8, Mackie Big Knob Studio Command, 2017 iMac 27", Logic Pro 10.4
leonh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be no problem
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: