Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hardware mod to improve aftertouch feel and response

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Hardware mod to improve aftertouch feel and response Reply with quote

Got my new multimeter a week ago and finally got some time to solve the most disappointing thing about my K2 since I bought it, the aftertouch. Mad

Not only it needed an enormous amount of force simply to reach the initiating threshold, but it also offered a poor pressure control (quite exponential response).

After analyzing the circuit dedicated to aftertouch in my K2, I decided to design a solution to solve this. Note that this mod is designed for my model, which is equipped with a RH3B 88-key keyboard. I have no idea if it will work on other Kronos models.

Also, this solution involves a hardware modification, so it is not for everyone. Shocked

This solution reduces as much as possible the initial amount of pressure needed to initiate the aftertouch and also adds a sub-circuit in the existing twin op-amp circuit in order to give it a more linear response.

This mod is not very complicated when you know how op-amp circuits work, but it involves quite a bit of tests. The result is a notable improvement. The aftertouch now needs less force to start and its response is more linear. Cool

https://vimeo.com/260649165
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the range of available aftertouch curves doesn't cover requirements, then the built-in aftertouch calibration has sufficient adjustment range not to necessitate any changes in hardware, unless the aftertouch circuitry has developed a fault. The only issue seems to be that the on screen dialogue doesn't make it clear what the user should be doing, and the manual doesn't help.

Making aftertouch too sensitive can result in it being invoked during normal playing.

KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
If the range of available aftertouch curves doesn't cover requirements, then the built-in aftertouch calibration has sufficient adjustment range not to necessitate any changes in hardware, unless the aftertouch circuitry has developed a fault. The only issue seems to be that the on screen dialogue doesn't make it clear what the user should be doing, and the manual doesn't help.

Then it would mean that quite a few other people like the ones in this thread, and also in this other one and several others elsewhere online would all be wrong or have a faulty aftertouch circuit, which is simply not possible.

I'm glad yours works to your satisfaction, but it was certainly not the case for me, being used to other controllers with excellent aftertouch response like the MIDIboard.

The mod I did on my K2 now solves the problem by fine tuning the threshold needed to initiate aftertouch, which transposes/moves the range of values. The existing dual op-amp circuit as is offers only limited adjustment for this, regardless of the offset and gain settings.
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely video and music, I guess, but where's the schematic? the technical information? ??? ...and I'd have to say that one thing I've learned ftom years of making hardware mods to musical equipment is: never modify the case (the outside) of an instrument if you think that you ever might want to sell it...

df
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually totally agree with you about not modifying the outside of musical equipment. But it is of no concern for me though as I don't plan to sell my K2. I usually keep the musical instruments I really like during decades.

Also, despite being rather simple, not everyone can accomplish a mod such as this one safely without damaging their synth, so one must remain careful about providing too much info publicly. Interested people could PM me if they want to know more. About a schematic, as mentioned in my video, components values for the additional sub-circuit depend on tests done on the particular Kronos and will vary according to the FSR under the keys and hardware settings on the existing op-amp circuit. So the only way to complete the new sub-circuit is to first do those tests.

The only technical info actually important for this solution is that to improve aftertouch threshold and response, the existing op-amps need to be operated at a precise setting and since any FSR response can vary with time, temperature, humidity and even between similar components of the same production batch, it is imperative to add an external adjustment potentiometer for the mod. So again I totally understand if people are not interested because they don't want to modify their Kronos appearance. It really depends on how important is aftertouch for the musician. Some almost never use it.
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that the aftertouch response on my K2-88 is a bit tough, even after the OS calibration - The K61 that I had before was far better.

Thanks for the info KK, I may just look into this.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos Fatar aftertouch is using pressure carbon resistor that is applied to the whole keybed and the varying value
is proportional to the sum pressure of all fingers that are applied on keybed so this 1 KΩhm average value that controls
Jfet Operation Amplifier bias , differs between semiweighted and fully weighted keybeds !
I find this mod very usefull for custom sound development where AT has pitch duties especially in custom AT pitch lead
guitars & solo analog lead sounds especially on weighted keybeds but IMO this will disorder the majority of factory sounds
in ordinary semiweighted keybeds.
E.Guitar in this video has been played exclusively with AT pitch https://youtu.be/lyAL9Ozh-9k?t=5m15s

I have modified many times OP-Amp bias in older Fatar normal keybeds , where AT carbon resistor had been "loosen" after
heavy usage and needed out of range re-calibration.

My advice is to use global keybed sensitivity first and before varying any internal adjustment potensiometer , first measure
and write down preset AT bias voltage before alter anything !

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
Kronos Fatar aftertouch is using pressure carbon resistor that is applied to the whole keybed and the varying value
is proportional to the sum pressure of all fingers that are applied on keybed so this 1 KΩhm average value that controls
Jfet Operation Amplifier bias...

Nope. The K2 dedicated aftertouch circuit does not use JFET technology. And JFET components do not need bias either. Amongst other sources, read from Wikipedia : Unlike bipolar transistors, JFETs are exclusively voltage-controlled in that they do not need a biasing current. Instead, the K2 aftertouch circuit actually uses a NJM4558D IC, which contains two standard bipolar op-amps.

My solution doesn't require to replace the existing aftertouch circuit with a different one, it simply adds an external sub-circuit to it, so nothing is lost. In fact, this mod is very easily reversible (except for two holes drilled for the additional controls needed). I personally don't plan to undo it, as finally for me it is now possible to initiate and control the K2 aftertouch without unnecessary excessive force.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadwave wrote:
I have to admit that the aftertouch response on my K2-88 is a bit tough, even after the OS calibration...

I think many agree with you, including myself. Smile
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
Kronos Fatar aftertouch

The Kronos doesn't use a Fatar keyboard as far as I know - is it just the aftertouch strip that's a Fatar part?
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
JFET components do not need bias either. Amongst other sources, read from Wikipedia :
Unlike bipolar transistors, JFETs are exclusively voltage-controlled ...

Unlike others , I do not use wikipedia since I own PhD in electronics , the relative Physics bibliography and all brands
data sheets of the latest 50 years in my library , in real "paid" books ...
I was using the initial Motorola MC1458 before ages in my designs , since I'm using only LF series Op-Amps for the last 20 years.
I was not aware of course of the type of Op-Amp that Kronos is using , I quessed that it was J-Fet (as ought to be in
this topology that I will certainly not explain why) , and as concerned to "bias" term , I was refering to comparator's
threshold higher bias (elevating comparator's sensitivity) as you also did there in the easy way , and I never said that
you're wrong in your mod , just added some more thoughts ... just for the records ! Wink

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Broadwave wrote:
I have to admit that the aftertouch response on my K2-88 is a bit tough, even after the OS calibration...

I think many agree with you, including myself. Smile

Interesting, I found the AT to initially be too hard when I got my first Kronos, but after changing the AT sensitivity in global, and doing a cal, I've found it to be quite acceptable in both instruments. Also interesting, given one is an RH3 and the other a synth action. I wouldn't want it to be any softer now I have it the way I want, that's for sure. But it is on the light end of the cal scale now. I wonder if there is a spread distribution across them with regard to variability?

Over all, I'm noticing the default AT pressure to be harder on newer generations of synths than on earlier vintages of keyboard. My Roland JP80 was also quite tough at first, whereas keyboards I had in the 80's and 90's were as you would expect.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeltaJockey wrote:
Interesting, I found the AT to initially be too hard when I got my first Kronos, but after changing the AT sensitivity in global, and doing a cal, I've found it to be quite acceptable in both instruments. Also interesting, given one is an RH3 and the other a synth action. I wouldn't want it to be any softer now I have it the way I want, that's for sure. But it is on the light end of the cal scale now. I wonder if there is a spread distribution across them with regard to variability?

Hi there, yes it is normal since any FSR response/resistivity will vary with wear, temperature, humidity and even between similar components of the same production batch. That is why it is important to make sure everything is optimally calibrated, both in software and hardware.

Similar things happen in all brands. I remember fixing the hardware of a Kurzweil PC2X because there was a noticeable difference in velocity response between the naturals and sharps on the Fatar keyboard.
BlackForest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Hardware mod to improve aftertouch feel and response Reply with quote

KK wrote:

This mod is not very complicated when you know how op-amp circuits work, but it involves quite a bit of tests. The result is a notable improvement. The aftertouch now needs less force to start and its response is more linear. Cool

https://vimeo.com/260649165

@KK, any chance of posting your mod, or PM to me, since all the Kronos' are out of warranty anyway?

Korg DS-8, Roland D-10, M1Rex, Wavestation, Korg SP-280, JV2080, Wavestate, Kronos LS - all RIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: