Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Kronos Like a Stage Instrument

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjd18

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Using Kronos Like a Stage Instrument Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am trying to get my head around the Kronos. I love the sounds and don't want to do too much in terms of sequencing, but just want to be able to set 5 or 6 standards effects (e.g. delay, pan, reverb) to dedicated controls and use them for every single patch.

I realize this might be naive, and I know that the Kronos is not a Nord Stage, but I'm thinking there must be a way to make this happen.

Does anyone have suggestions? There are lots of links to tutorials, but can anyone recommend the best path for getting a basic understanding of the Kronos without sifting through thousands of threads?

Thanks!
Xenophile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m new to Kronos too, but I think what you need to do is make your own Combis, and set up the effects and control surface in a similar way for every one. The knobs for the Real Time controls are already set up pretty much like that, but you probably want to customize them.

I use lots of splits and layers, so I need to come up with a scheme to order the timbres in a consistent way so that it is quick and easy to adjust the mix between them on the fly. For example, the piano is always Timbre 1, organ is Timbre 2 etc. That would be fairly straightforward for simple splits, but layered Combis could get complicated pretty quickly. It would be nice to have a fader control some kind of a subgroup, so you could control the level of a complex layered sound with a single fader.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Using Kronos Like a Stage Instrument Reply with quote

jjd18 wrote:
Hi All,

I am trying to get my head around the Kronos.

Does anyone have suggestions? There are lots of links to tutorials, but can anyone recommend the best path for getting a basic understanding of the Kronos without sifting through thousands of threads?

Thanks!

I understand what you require from your K and Xenos post is getting you in a good direction.

Since I am more old school, I think a K owner has to get the basics ASAP. That includes navigation , the modes, the file system, the controls. Kong has excellent video tutorials on this. Your 5 -10 minutes invested in this knowledge is going to save you much time and potential headache down the road.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By default, the Real Time knobs generally control what Korg considers to be probably the most useful parameters in a given Program or Combi (note that the knobs will only do this when the RT Knobs/Karma switch is lit). In most cases, knob 8 controls reverb or something similar, knob 7 is chorus or similar, whilst knobs 1 and 2 are often linked to cutoff and resonance. Knobs 3 and 4 are generally associated with effects group intensity and release time, respectively.

A useful example to observe the effects of changing reverb is the "Delicato Strings" Combi, (Combi I-D006 or I-D014, depending on Kronos version, but easier to use the search function [magnifying glass icon]) where rotating knob 8 can take the listener from an intimate, no reverb, recording studio environment to a concert hall.

If the plan is to customise Programs and Combis, then it might be worth keeping knob 8 as reverb, since this is what it will probably also do in the standard Programs and Combis.

jjd18

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the feedback....sounds like creating a combi is the best solution.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with GregC- watch YouTube tutorials. And I recommend reading at least the operations guide (OG) so that you can become familiar with the terminologies used. It'll be easier to answer your questions if you know how to ask them. Searching the PDF manuals makes getting answers a whole lot easier than thumbing through a book. Here's a tip for you. Once you find and manipulate an IFX to your liking, you can actually save it as a preset and recall it later.

Last edited by ronnfigg on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the trick, purely from a stage viewpont, is to start with a dry sound. Meaning no effects and no AMS assignments... not easy to find so you might have to strip a program or be aware (as others have suggested) of the standard assignments (i.e., reverb amount to knob-8).

Having done that, as you build your sound as a voice or combination you can use the Insert effects (IFX) to essentially "build" a virtual guitar-style pedal board.

This can be standard - and easily copied - for every sound you want to use on stage, and you can pick reverb, delay, distortion, filter etc. and also which controller will apply.

Bt that dry sound is key, because you don't want your controller to be effecting sounds any other way than what YOU have assigned.

To get started check what's available. The Value slider is rarely used as an AMS in programs, and with the exception of organ, the right hand "drawbars" are seldom assigned -- the knobs almost always are.

Make a table of the 10 sounds you want and list out what real-time controllers are not being used and you'll have a better handle on what AMS controls you can assign.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play weekly in church. I have the K61 and an 88-note controller. My first move was to build a universal combination. I put a piano on the controller and an organ on the K61. I added a pad layered with the piano but have it under expression control. That way I can bring it in and out with a pedal while the piano stays constant. I also added a pad with the organ and use the vector joystick to select between them or a blend of both.

Most songs I play require their own combi. I take the one I made above and modify it on a per song basis, saving under the name of the song. The basic layout is a good starting place but I typically add splits on the upper K61 or change pad sounds etc.

Finally, I rely on the set list mode while playing. If I need additional control I can use Tone adjust per timber. I use it to adjust attacks, releases, filter cutoffs and res, even add LFO’s to make subtle filter sweeps to liven up the pads.

I’ve also sampled sounds from Omnisphere etc. The cool thing is you can start with basic building blocks like adding programs to combinations and as you learn more, add more features and functions.

I’ve had my K61 since late 2012 and since I had a Triton for 10 years prior I picked up the basics very quickly. However, I’m still learning!

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
tomto66

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add that in the Kronos there is no way to "automatically" assign standard knobs to all patches. You'll have to assign them for every program and combi yourself. Easy enough to do, but a bit of work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: