Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MicroKORG XL(+) patches as .syx for MS2K?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Svalan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: MicroKORG XL(+) patches as .syx for MS2K? Reply with quote

Hey guys!

Just a quick question before I start banging my head against a wall: the patches from the MKXL and MKXL+, as found on the KORG website for instance, aren't .syx-files. Is there a way to either convert them to .syx or to capture a MIDI dump from the MKXL/(+) and save that as a .syx?

There are a few patches on the MKXL+ that I'd like to be able to enjoy on my MS2K... is that possible at all? Or would I have to manually reverse engineer the sounds as best I can? (that would prolly be a good learning experience though).

Well, thanks in advance. Any input would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Svalan
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

1. The patches that you find on the website are files that can be read by the soundeditors. The soundeditor will send them then as MIDI SysEx messages to the board. The board can dump programs back to your PC as well as MIDI SysEx messages so that they can be stored as .syx.

2. You will need to recreate the mKXL(+) sounds on your MS2K. The patches (even in .syx format) are not compatible between each other.

You can download the soundeditors and install them to open the mKXL(+)patch files (even if you don't have the board) and have a nice overview (visual) of the parameters of the patch. This can help you to bring them over to the MS2K and will ease your reverse engineering process.

Side note: it is possible to extract with a tool the patches form the mKXL(+) patch files and convert them automatically to .syx files, but as indicated earlier, that .syx file will not be accepted by the MS2K.

Have fun.
Svalan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey!

Thanks for the reply. I thought that might be the case and I'm actually not too disappointed.

During my futile attempts to make this work automatically I did come across the mKXL(+) sound editors and found that I could visually examine the patches that I want to bring to my MS2K. And that'll really help me! Also... this will be a great opportunity to get better acquainted with this beast.

Well, now I know what I'm doing this weekend! Very Happy

Regards,
Svalan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: