Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visions of a New Workstation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sweat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The choices we have today all have their place. Sometimes my ipad with great apps, and a light-weight controller in a backpack are my choice for quick gigs or rehearsals on the go.

In my home studio, I enjoy my powerful Mac Pro with Logic, ProTools, and Kontakt with many amazing software libraries.

But still, nothing compares to the low-latency, instant access of thousands of pre-loaded sounds I have sampled, layered, split and programmed like I can do with the Kronos Set List screen. And any kind of FX I need, instantly. Did I mention low-latency? It's all tightly integrated with controls, hidden in a keyboard (controller) that I need anyway.

Before owning a Kronos, I also used multiple boards for performing (DP, organ clone, VA, and an old DX7). Now, all I need is my K.

Last edited by Sweat on Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
leonh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with M1 long time ago and now I have Kronos so first and maybe last Workstation still the best out there it suits me the workflow all in one place don’t need anything else .Saying that new generations prefer DAW so manufacturers are going in that direction Montage is an example perfect connectivity I had one nothing wrong with it I just prefer workstation for making music .
So is hard to see that Korg will invest in new workstation maybe some upgrade for existing Kronos I have no idea.
tdwctdwc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 2013 i made an entire album with only the Kronos (Dark German Grand and the Mod-7 engine).

Taking in consideration how far software pianos libraries have advanced since then as well as the vast world of impressive iOS synths that are only getting better week after week: If i want to make the same type of album in 2018, i will still use the Kronos engines instead.

Maybe it's that connection between hardware/software all-in-one package, maybe it's the sounds, maybe it's that phatness i get from the Mod-7 engine that i can't get in software, i have no idea.

I don't think i'm the only one who rolls this way.

I think the Kronos has made such a big impact on the industry, even Korg themselves don't realize it...or maybe they do.
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the timing of a new workstation is concerned consider this:
KORG has a habit of releasing a new high end workstation in the same year as they release a new TOTL arranger.
In 2007 the M3 was released together with the PA2X.
Four years later the KRONOS together with the PA3X saw the light of day.
Again four years later in 2015 the KRONOS 2015 edition together with the PA4X were introduced.

So, extrapolating this timeline into the future we should see a new PA5X as well as a new high end workstation in 2019.

The KRONOS sold well, just look at the diversification of the product line, you don't do that with a product which has poor sales figures.
And if a product sells well it makes no sense to suddenly drop the platform upon which it was built, especially when you consider the OASYS platform dates back all the way to the early nineties.
So I DO expect a follow up to the KRONOS.

The KRONOS seems to be a fixed concept of nine engines, so it is unlikely that there will be a new KRONOS with more engines.
The successor probably will have a new name together with other significant updates.
The addition of DNC in the next workstation would be very welcome.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1 wrote:
As far as the timing of a new workstation is concerned consider this:
KORG has a habit of releasing a new high end workstation in the same year as they release a new TOTL arranger.
In 2007 the M3 was released together with the PA2X.
Four years later the KRONOS together with the PA3X saw the light of day.
Again four years later in 2015 the KRONOS 2015 edition together with the PA4X were introduced.

So, extrapolating this timeline into the future we should see a new PA5X as well as a new high end workstation in 2019.

The KRONOS sold well, just look at the diversification of the product line, you don't do that with a product which has poor sales figures.
And if a product sells well it makes no sense to suddenly drop the platform upon which it was built, especially when you consider the OASYS platform dates back all the way to the early nineties.
So I DO expect a follow up to the KRONOS.

The KRONOS seems to be a fixed concept of nine engines, so it is unlikely that there will be a new KRONOS with more engines.
The successor probably will have a new name together with other significant updates.
The addition of DNC in the next workstation would be very welcome.

Sure , Korg, as other companies, cross breed , cross pollinate the tech or product features to cover every decent niche. And capitalize on success.
They do that until it stops working. As in when sales drop off for whatever reason.

Since no one here works at Korg, no one can definitively say what Korg will do.
Or what Korgs priorities are.

"Past performance is no guarantee of future results."

the # 1 problem or challenge to a new W/s model is a cost effective approach that can scale profitably over time. Like 5 yrs. Thats a long time, a few lifetimes in a tech dominated world.

I agree there is good marketplace for the W/s all in 1 product.

IMO its a mistake to run out the same old horse, make it a different color, and call it a Kronos 3. Some might like a different color but to me thats simply cosmetic.

I don't know if a simple tech upgrade to K2 is a good long term idea. Call it a K3. The file system, modes, tabs, work flow, is arcane by todays software standards . This simple approach might be good for another 2 years of sales.

Since Korg has kept their ace sound designers, and assuming they did their magic on a K3, I am a potential K3 customer.

Korg has had a few years of potential development time and R &D money to create a new model, newly structured W/s. The new W/s product with a useful 5 year product life.

Thats what Korg " should do ". But this is expensive.

Kong has a 5 yr new President . Is he a new structure w/s advocate ? Do you know ? I don't. The company has changed since Katoh died in 2011.
Kato Seiki is the President of Korg.

As I stated several times, Korg could state their intent to support
a new all in 1 W/s product for 2019. Forget 2018.

One can assume and conjecture all day. It would be better for loyal Korg customers, if Korg was communicative about a W/s commitment
in 2019. No need to get into detail and potential spec. No grand promises.
Just a brief statement is adequate for me.

Not holding my breath.
rmgatl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're of course just speculating, but a K3 in 2019/2020 would be logical (about 5-6 years from last major hw rev so far as I can tell). K3 would extend the line another 5 years and the WS category won't collapse in that timeframe.
I'd love to see physical weight on the 88 graded hammer version addressed...target the current LS weight.
I would probably buy a rack version with no keyboard at the right price. Easier to transport.
Would not enjoy schlepping around the current 88 graded hammer weight at my age.
Prefer graded hammer feel but the 88 LS is interesting. Buying new means risk there could be a K3 coming that tanks resale value - but that's life.
A good used 88 LS at the right price seems like a solid low risk buy.
Thanks everyone...this has helped me think through this purchase.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmgatl wrote:

I would probably buy a rack version with no keyboard at the right price. Easier to transport.

I would not mind a rack but cost is a knockout. Plus lack of controls and no practical way for LCD.

A few yrs ago, at NAMM, Korg said there were no plans for a Rack version.

Thus zero expectation for a rack with todays K2 structure and form
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Not holding my breath.

You'd turn awfully blue if you did and still hear nothing.
The only manufacturer I know of who discusses his plans is Behringer.
Neither Yamaha or Roland reveal their plans until the time comes to release a new product.

And by the way, not only KORG but also Roland had an important change of management.
In spite of the criticism floating around on the internet I miss some of the Roland products released in the first decade.
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
rmgatl wrote:

I would not mind a rack but cost is a knockout. Plus lack of controls and no practical way for LCD.

A few yrs ago, at NAMM, Korg said there were no plans for a Rack version.

Thus zero expectation for a rack with todays K2 structure and form

Totally agree Greg I see the lack of controls and no way to view LCD a major factor. If you were wanting a rack version soft synths would probably more practical.

With the Kronos 2 cycling out a bit I think Korg will have a new workstation by next year. But who knows nothing can compete with the Kronos in the workstation dept. and many new players going the software route.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1 wrote:
GregC wrote:
Not holding my breath.

You'd turn awfully blue if you did and still hear nothing.
The only manufacturer I know of who discusses his plans is Behringer.
Neither Yamaha or Roland reveal their plans until the time comes to release a new product.

And by the way, not only KORG but also Roland had an important change of management.
In spite of the criticism floating around on the internet I miss some of the Roland products released in the first decade.

I owned several Roland products last decades, The Rd pianos, various racks.

Not clear what you miss.

Since I worked for Sony, I am familiar with all that NDA stuff.
Thats standard stuff from the 70's/80's.

This is 2018. I think customers are the priority. And should be treated accordingly. Especially the customers that spend +$3000 on a keyboard.

Thats not the same as a $20 pedal.

Maybe Behringer has more progressive thinking in some respects.

And Roland has totally stepped up on product support and OMG, they answer the phone, too.

So I agree , in that context with ROland management.
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
I owned several Roland products last decades, The Rd pianos, various racks.
Not clear what you miss.

V-synth, VP550/770 (based on the Vocal Designer card of the V-synth), MV8xxx.
Ironically I never paid much attention to something like the MV8000/8800 due to the association the pads created with a typical beat box, and I was focused on things with keys.
It's only afterwards that I took notice of what the MV was capable of. Sad
rmgatl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last question for Korg experts - when/if they do make a major WS move, is their usual modus operandi for such things a NAMM announcement i.e. January?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmgatl wrote:
One last question for Korg experts - when/if they do make a major WS move, is their usual modus operandi for such things a NAMM announcement i.e. January?

A better question is the wind down, price changes of k2 sold at retail in US

I can't speak for other countries supply demand
rmgatl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
rmgatl wrote:

I can't speak for other countries supply demand

I assume you mean how/when do they signal something new coming via current gen price changes? I'm in usa btw.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="rmgatl"]
GregC wrote:
rmgatl wrote:

I assume you mean how/when do they signal something new coming via current gen price changes? I'm in usa btw.

Lets connect the dots.

Examine Korgs distribution and retail channel.

Korg is a good co to their channel and retailers.

IOW, they wold not want their retailers to be heavy on 'old' inventory due to a replacement product in the wings.

Most consumers have little interest in the plight of retailers ( but they should)
Going on the Internet to discuss retail supply will not happen.

What do you believe happens to the marketplace, when Korg announces a new product , an expensive $3000 product, that replaces a prior $3000 product.

Its also called 'product transition '
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: