Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visions of a New Workstation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmgatl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a major city with 6M people. Fwiw, the five local guitar center stores apparently have a total of two Kronos 88 hammer weight (only) models (no 61, 76, LS) in local (not warehouse) inventory. Can't tell what's in the GC warehouse - maybe nothing - could probably drop ship straight from Korg US warehouse in 3-7 days.
Only two units locally seems thin to me but who knows if there's any profound meaning to it so far as EOL.
I'd be surprised if a major chain like GC takes much if any inventory risk beyond display units (from my experience negotiating disti supply agreements).
I'm still leaning toward a used LS but maybe won't find one to demo in a store unless I get to NY or LA.
studio460

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems all the major online resellers have them in stock. When I bought my Kronos Platinum refurb, Sweetwater told me they had "more than five, and less than ten" refurbished Platinum models (since they cannot give out exact inventory numbers). A week later, Sweetwater posted another Platinum model, apparently a customer return or floor unit, but priced about $300 below than the one I bought (and the one I bought was only $2,960).

The "refurbished" Platinum I received looked brand new. Not a scratch, no fingerprints—it looked factory-fresh. There was tape on to the box (it had been opened), "Korg USA, Inc. Opened for quality control inspection."

Why would Korg still have 5-10 seemingly brand new Korg Platinum units to re-sell? Sweetwater currently has new Kronos 88s in stock (61- and 73-key Kronos are out-of-stock). Musician's Friend has an open-box LS for only $3,079, plus new LS' in-stock. Zzounds has all four Kronos models in-stock.

In 2014, Korg introduces the Kronos 2. Then in 2016, Korg performs a cosmetic refresh and announces the Korg Platinum (which sells well into 2017). Then, in 2017 they release the LS and another refresh—the Kronos Gold.

It's as if Korg is bringing out every kind of brand-extension and refresh to the Kronos in an effort to keep it "new." R&D costs have been fully amortized, manufacturing streamlined; it's now pure profit. How long can they milk this cow?

Seeing that the Kronos UI has a lot of Oasys still in its roots, I imagine a complete OS revision (or processor upgrade) is a major effort for a company like Korg. Will Korg invest in a new OS for another refreshed Kronos? Will they develop a completely new workstation? I doubt it. I'm assuming they're looking at the popularity of Roland's Integra-7 and the direction Yamaha took with its new Montage. In light of their competitors' developments, I think a completely new workstation-class product for 2019 seems unlikely.

Korg Nautilus 61 AT + DS1H + EXP2 | Korg Kronos 2 Platinum 88 | Korg Radias | Korg Kaoss Pad KP3+ | Kaossilator Pro+ | Kronos Remote iOS
PCG Tools v3.2.0 | WavesArt Cinematic Suite EXs

Last edited by studio460 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmgatl wrote:
I'm in a major city with 6M people. Fwiw, the five local guitar center stores apparently have a total of two Kronos 88 hammer weight (only) models (no 61, 76, LS) in local (not warehouse) inventory. Can't tell what's in the GC warehouse - maybe nothing - could probably drop ship straight from Korg US warehouse in 3-7 days.
Only two units locally seems thin to me but who knows if there's any profound meaning to it so far as EOL.
I'd be surprised if a major chain like GC takes much if any inventory risk beyond display units (from my experience negotiating disti supply agreements).
I'm still leaning toward a used LS but maybe won't find one to demo in a store unless I get to NY or LA.

GC ( and I like GC online) is a struggling chain. They do not heavily invest in a low margin ( for them) $3000 keyboard like Kronos. So your sense of GC is good.

Studio's analysis and SW example( plus 1 other auth retailer) is on point if you are figuring out the retail marketplace.

Retail slows down , takes a big pause in Feb, March, April as retailers clean up
fix the books for 2017. SW is a premier retailer. You likely will not get off cheap
but service is critical when buying Kronos. Just read a few posts on this forum for the past 2 weeks.

Market timing is tricky business, as you might know in buying shares of stock.
A $3000 keyboard is a personal investment and choice but not a favorable
resale opportunity.

I doubt you will see any new model Korg W/s for the rest of 2018. It appears you are hoping to purchase wisely. As you know, Kronos is 7 yrs old. I also think its over priced. But I can't do anything about that for new. If and when Korg ever gets around to a new model w/s I bet it will be more expensive and hard to find for another 6 months from their announcement.

If you have the courage to tackle the used Kronos marketplace, there is a large supply used K's. Buying a used K is risky. Involves considerable scrutiny and you
are at a disadvantage since the K is new to you. But used, if done wisely, will
hedge this expensive purchase.

I see the above 2 routes for a K, if I was new to this game.

The alternative to that is similar to my 2nd board, the FA-07. a DAW friendly board , a simpler keyboard/less features and easier on the credit card. There is an 88 FA, too. Not trying to distract you if you have decided on the K.
NormC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GC also had a falling out with Korg so you will not see a huge inventory of Korg products at a GC. I believe it was an issue with GC trying to push their store brand of EPs instead of Korg's. This may have been just a rumor though and not the real issue. I also heard there was an issue with GC's ability to pay for inventory. My two local GCs are useless for keyboards now.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormC wrote:
GC also had a falling out with Korg so you will not see a huge inventory of Korg products at a GC. I believe it was an issue with GC trying to push their store brand of EPs instead of Korg's. This may have been just a rumor though and not the real issue. I also heard there was an issue with GC's ability to pay for inventory. My two local GCs are useless for keyboards now.

definitely hit and miss to demo keyboards overall at GC.

however, if one has it figured out, there telesales + on line site is excellent.
Often, there is 6 month or more free financing and 5% rewards back.

from that value perspective, GC online is excellent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: