Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SW1 & 2 to mute parts in a Combi?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
musicbysterling

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject: SW1 & 2 to mute parts in a Combi? Reply with quote

I have a Combi in which I have four parts programmed. What I'd like to do is be able to play only two parts at a time to coincide with different parts of a song. Can SW1 and SW2 be programmed to allow me to mute and unmute parts in the Combi? Setting up zones MIDI zones or using the foot pedal aren't options for what I need to do.
Thx
Mark
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you can but I seldom use those buttons. Someone else will chime in. You can use the Vector Joystick for this. For two sound control I program one sound(s) with the JS to the left and another sound(s) on the right.

I also use it for building a sound going from down to up. Pushing it up to add layers.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
tomto66

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy. Insert an effect that has volume controls, say and compressor. Assign the volume AMS to SW1 or 2 and adjust the amount of volume difference to that AMS. Done!
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what i see, your best chance is via AMS per program but i am not so sure how that will work in combi mode where it can cause conflict if you do not have all the timbre programs sorted out for their SW assignments.
It can get complicated if any of the programs already use SW 1&2 as AMS over other parameters.

It may not work at all if you cannot find an AMS-ready program parameter that has the effect of making the program silent..

Also AMS is in FX pages. You can find an effect that has AMS options for SW 1&2 over parameters that make the sound silent. Not all FX oprions will work and it can get complicated in the case that the programs already use SW 1&2 as AMS over other Parameters.

I have assigned SW 1&2 for other kinds of purposes and ended up with all kinds of strange changes to my sound that were related to SW 1&2 Lready beng assigned to other purposes than my custom purposes.
You can sort them out but sometimes it can be brain racking to get it right when all you wanted was a quick setup and back to musical inspiration.

Such is the nature of combi where you have many programs layered and each with their own unique application of the same switch or knob that controls the entire combi.
Sorry i cannot specify an exact Parameter per program or FX. I have no clue what programs you are using or which FX will work for you. It is not easy even if i were trying to do it for myself.

Karma has a way of setting up timbre groups for switching to turn one set on or off and bring in another. I think up to four groups, one for each karma module, but then you have to use the Karma scene switches to change groups rather than SW 1&2. I think Karma route lets you have up to 16 sounds broken into 4 groups of 4 timbre per group. I think you may be able to get more timbre than 4 per group but not more than 4 groups. Not sure.
https://youtu.be/2OaglzcDoy0
Thats the link to a good step by step video on how to use karma to do what you are asking. Not using SW 1&2 but using Karma SW 1-8.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: SW1 & 2 to mute parts in a Combi? Reply with quote

musicbysterling wrote:
I have a Combi in which I have four parts programmed. What I'd like to do is be able to play only two parts at a time to coincide with different parts of a song. Can SW1 and SW2 be programmed to allow me to mute and unmute parts in the Combi? Setting up zones MIDI zones or using the foot pedal aren't options for what I need to do.
Thx
Mark

One way to approach this is by using the Dyn Comp FX.

For example, assign the Dyn Comp to the sound or group of sounds you want to mute/unmute. Set the FX gain to something like 15. Then set the AMS source for the gain to SW1, and its amount to -15. Pressing SW1 will then decrease the FX output to 15 - 15 = 0, which will effectively mute the sound(s).

Reverse the amounts if you want the timbre to be muted at first, then turn on to a preset level after you press SW1. In other words, set FX gain to 0, and SW1 amount to 15 to turn on the timbre with a volume of 15.

HTH
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One side effect of this method is that you can virtually "increase" the number of pads to more than just the 8.

For example, in The Spirit of Radio I trigger the pads with my foot controller. On the early parts of the song, the pads are programmed to play Taurus bass sounds. This took up all 8 pads.

Later in the song, I needed the pads to play high notes and chords instead of bass notes. I used one press of SW1 to switch the sounds, muting the bass notes while unmuting the high sounds.
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not understanding why your not using Karma switching to turn off parts of the Combi with a single key press?

There are Youtube videos explaining how to do this.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an excellent video detailing how to do what kbrkr suggested above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OaglzcDoy0&t=26s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: