Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does the Kronos is a good MIDI controller for studio works?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hag01

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:11 am    Post subject: Does the Kronos is a good MIDI controller for studio works? Reply with quote

Do you think the Kronos is a good MIDI controller for DAW and VST control in the studio?
Or should I use another keyboard that more suitable for this?

The Kronos doesn't have mod wheel, how do you get over this?
I heard that the joystick is great for live performance but for studio the wheels are better.
Can I route somehow a breath controller through the Kronos into the audio interface(only to control virtual instruments, not for the Kronos internal sounds)?
Through the MIDI THRU input maybe?
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't already own a Kronos, and don't plan on using any of the internal sounds, your best bet would be to invest in a decent keyboard controller. Since it sounds like the modulation wheel might be an issue for you, you should probably look for something that has that on it. Generally they will have a multitude of other controllers also. If you want one of the best synth workstations on the market, then buy a Kronos. I'm sure you could get around the mod wheel issue. If the spring loading is part of the problem 4 what you would want to use a modulation wheel for, you can lock the joystick by assigning switch one or two to hold the joystick in the modulation position that you need.
hag01

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I want the best synth workstations on the market, but I also need a MIDI controller, and I don't even have space for one more keyboard here.
And yes, the spring of the joystick is the problem, in live performance I actually think I will want the spring most of the time, but not in DAW\VST control in the studio.

So if I'm understand correctly what your'e saying, I can just lock the spring so the joystick won't return automaticly to its start position, and will just stay where I placed it lastly like a mod wheel?
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hag01 wrote:
Yes I want the best synth workstations on the market, but I also need a MIDI controller, and I don't even have space for one more keyboard here.
And yes, the spring of the joystick is the problem, in live performance I actually think I will want the spring most of the time, but not in DAW\VST control in the studio.

So if I'm understand correctly what your'e saying, I can just lock the spring so the joystick won't return automaticly to its start position, and will just stay where I placed it lastly like a mod wheel?

The "locking" is done electronically using one of the switches located just above the pitchbend/modulation joystick. Physically, the JS returns to center but the value is "remembered". There is also a vector joystick that might be able to assign modulation to. Not sure on that one.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vector joystick doesn't have a spring and pretty much stays where you set it, like a mod wheel.
carlotta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the Kronos is a good MIDI controller for studio wor Reply with quote

hag01 wrote:

Can I route somehow a breath controller through the Kronos into the audio interface(only to control virtual instruments, not for the Kronos internal sounds)?
Through the MIDI THRU input maybe?

I use a TEControl breath controller connected directly into the Kronos USB host port. This works very well.

There are a bunch of videos on youtube, just google it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: