Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Help!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjdeerinck

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Please Help! Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

Been a while since I have been online here. Been playing many gigs with my Kronos.

I ran into a problem the last week. When I started playing songs, about 1 minute into the song, the master volume slowly fades down to about 25% of the what it should be. I stop playing and wait a minute or so, and the volume is back to normal. Every time I play, it fades again. This is all factory and licensed content and is NOT the typical thing if you are demoing sounds.

Well, I figured I would try to reapply system updates. I did the Firmware, and then did the system software. The only issue is I actually downgraded the system software in a cranial rectal inversion moment. Now the Kronos boots to 99% and says finishing up forever. It will not complete.

Is there anyway to recover and not lose all my Combis, Setlists, Etc? We have a couple of huge gigs very soon. I am so screwed right now.

Any help would be immensely appreciated!

~TJ
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mention about checking to see if accidentally nudging vectorJoyStick was causing 75% drop in volume.

CD restoration kit is the Option you have.

As far as saving your Content, factory content will restored by CD but not any customizations you made in any slots, disk mode files or global settings.
I suspect that a full restore wipes the disk mode data clean of all PCG and KSC or other files then restores the factory version. Don’t count on anything saved to disk mode, making it through a restoration load. Maybe possible but fnd out for sure before takng the gamble with indespesible data.

Maybe only chance would be to open Kronos and bypass the hardware lines to connect your SSD to an external computer to read and downlad the content from kronos.

I hope any customization you made to combis and pograms were saved in disc mode PCG files? That is your best chance in situations like this. Even better is to always mae an external USB drive copy of all the same files used internally.

Aways back up everything to disk mode and then make a copy to external USB storage.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing that comes to my mind that is safe is to get a 2nd hard drive. DON'T DO ANYTHING to that original disk drive if you haven't already backed up the PCGs and everything.

If you put in another disk drive, put the Kronos OS onto it, etc, and once you get the Kronos up and running normally, you should then be able to access the original disk's PCGs and everything. Good luck, and ask here before taking any major steps that might irrevocably lose those critical files.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, there may be some other good suggestions forthcoming, but just be very cautious regarding any kind of suggestion to format your original disk.

In the future, once you get everything up and running --

When in doubt, COMPARE. When odd issues arise, like volume or patch changes, etc, (I think many of us get them occasionally), remember you can usually hit the COMPARE button, sometimes twice, to restore things back to normal quickly.
tjdeerinck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!

Do you know if programs, locations, setlists are all saved on the primary SSD?

If I put a new drive in and do a complete Format and Load up to bring it current, and I have those files moved to a FAT32 USB Storage unit, would these be loadable in the Kronos?

~TJ
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjdeerinck wrote:
Thanks for the replies!

1)Do you know if programs, locations, setlists are all saved on the primary SSD?

2)If I put a new drive in and do a complete Format and Load up to bring it current, and I have those files moved to a FAT32 USB Storage unit, would these be loadable in the Kronos?

~TJ

1). all included in your PRELOAD file

2) " and Load up to bring it current, and I have those files moved to a FAT32 USB Storage unit, would these be loadable in the Kronos?"

- this is hard to follow. " load up and bring current " ??

It sounds like you are interested in COPYING some files from SSD Zero to your
new SSD, or SSD 1.

A simple way is to go to DISK.
- SELECT your new SSD from the drop down list. And do a " SAVE ALL " .

If you have actually backed up your data to some other USB device, its simple to plug it in. Wait 10 seconds for Kronos to " See " that USB device and all the readable files.

From there, I believe you can go to UTILITY tab, and copy/paste from that USB device to your new SSD.

Thats only if I understand clearly what you are trying to accomplish.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjdeerinck wrote:
Thanks for the replies!

If I put a new drive in and do a complete Format and Load up to bring it current, and I have those files moved to a FAT32 USB Storage unit, would these be loadable in the Kronos?

~TJ

Important question for you is- Did you save them at anypoint to disk mode files? If you did disk mode save of your Prgram, combi , global and setlist setup, then they should be part of the data in the SSD.

Anything saved from kronos is fully compatible with kronos and able to be loaded back into kronos. Just be sure the external storage you use is first formatted as you mentioned.

The SSD replacement is not easy for me to help you with but any externally backed up kronos files can be put back into kronos as long as nothing corrupted the data between retrievng it from old SSD and loading it into new SSD in kronos.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it sounds like you are not able to boot the Kronos all the way up , this may be trickier than you think. I think the most important thing for you at this point that has been discussed by others here, is that you get whatever data of the SSD that you can. That would probably require you to remove it from the Kronos and get it into a compatible computer and then save any data that you can from the SSD onto a new device. Once you have verified that you have saved your PCG files, you could possibly format the original drive and reload the entire Kronos operating system and libraries. And then also do any operating system updates you need to get back to where you were. You didn't say, what version of Kronos do you have? And are you out of warranty? If you are in warranty I would suggest you get it to a shop as quickly as possible. They should be qualified to help you rectify the situation. Even if you are not in warranty, and they are an authorized Korg dealer, they might be able to get you back up and running with the least amount of headaches on your part. Sorry to hear about your misfortune and I hope you are back up and running soon.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjdeerinck wrote:

Yes, your original primary disk will still have your programs, setlists, etc. When you install an extra disk, you will have a dropdown menu in DISK mode that lets you choose which disk you're looking at. This includes when you plug in a USB stick.

In my case I have an extra SSD, and when I plug in a USB stick with my backups and new samples or entire wav files, the dropdown menu allows me to choose which of the drives I want to work with -- the original factory disk, the new SSD, or the USB stick.

You can save/backup/load from any at any time.

tjdeerinck wrote:
If I put a new drive in and do a complete Format and Load up to bring it current, and I have those files moved to a FAT32 USB Storage unit, would these be loadable in the Kronos?~TJ

Again, I caution you against formatting your original disk. (Apologies if I misinterpret what you're saying).

Like installing an extra hard drive in a computer, the goal here is to put an OS on the *new* disk so you can boot up normally. Then you can access your original disk contents and do whatever you want with them -- load them, back them up, save new SAVE ALL files to them...
tjdeerinck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

Again Thanks for all the suggestions. I am sorry I was not a little clearer in what I was saying.

Here is where I am at:

1. I removed the original SSD (STATA0) and replaced it with a brand new SSD Drive.
2. I left the secondary SSD (SATA1) in place.
3. I placed my original SSD Drive in a cradle attached to my Windows 10 machine and used https://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/ to access and pull all data from the HD Folder of the korg/rw partition, and get them to a FAT32 formated drive for access. The tool is great since it is 1, free, and two absolutely does not touch any of the SSD in a write fasion. This exported info contains all the files I need, I think.
4. Once my cable arrives to put a usable, powered DVD drive on the Kronos, I will restore and reload EVERYTHING on the Kronos to v3.1.2 along with all my Libraries.

My question is, do any of you know if the Preloads, Combis, Patch Lists, etc can be loaded from the FAT32 structure I have now? I know it is not like a SAVE ALL, but since everything is there, shouldn't I technically be able to get very close to where I was before this whole mess? Trust me, a SAVE ALL will be my weekly habit!

Thanks again,

~TJ
tjdeerinck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311,

I missed the last line in your last reply. So it looks like I can connect the old SSD and grab stuff from there too.

Now my only concern is if the Volume works properly after the reload. I checked the vector stick and made sure it was all the way to left. I don't bump at all when playing.

The symptom is almost like there is a master "Fade Out Slowly" setting engaged, but I couldn't find one for the life of me.

Thanks again,

~TJ
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjdeerinck wrote:
psionic311,

I missed the last line in your last reply. So it looks like I can connect the old SSD and grab stuff from there too.

Now my only concern is if the Volume works properly after the reload. I checked the vector stick and made sure it was all the way to left. I don't bump at all when playing.

The symptom is almost like there is a master "Fade Out Slowly" setting engaged, but I couldn't find one for the life of me.

Thanks again,

~TJ

I believe the default position for the vector joystick is dead center, not all the way to the left. If this is what you have been doing, this could very well be your problem. Also you did not state I do not believe anywhere in your problem whether or not this is a global problem. By that I mean does it affect every single patch whether a program or a Combi or is it just specific patches? Also what specifically do you need to recover? PCGS are obviously one of the most important sets of data. But do you have any sequencer data or sampling data? As long as you can find the preload folder from the data you saved off of the original SSD you should be able to reload all of that into your newly formatted and updated SSD. Either by hooking up the original SSD or by copying it from an external media such as a USB thumb drive.
tjdeerinck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have 4 different DVD Drives. Two are USB Compliant non-ac powered, one that is powered with a power pack, and then one External 5.25" AC Powered unit.

All of them boot the media. I get the message about needing to format, which I select. All of them say partitioning disk, the go to Formatting.....please wait...and stay there for an hour before I try again.

The drive is only a 250GB SSD and the fact that it finds it and partitions it is good.

My question is how long does it take to format? The disk light comes on for about 30-45 seconds, then goes out.

I have tried burning the media at different speeds down to 4x to insure no errors in media. Anyone have any ideas?

~TJ
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me in your position, this is what I would be doing:

Save all my content to a PCG / SEQ / KSC file. This can be done via the "Save All" option in Disk Mode.

Copy this to a USB for safe-keeping (should be doing this regularly anyway).

Reload the Factory PCG and KSC from the "Factory" folder on the internal hard drive. This should be locked and unchanged from the factory.

This will get your Kronos into a factory state for troubleshooting without having to reinstall the whole system. Unless something has gone very awry due to an underlying bug with Linux, or a failing SSD, it's very unlikely reinstalling the software will fix anything.

There's a lot of complex options, particularly in the global settings, that can interact in strange and mysterious ways, and they can be really hard do troubleshoot. Starting from a factory state may be the first step in a process of elimination.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjdeerinck wrote:
So I have 4 different DVD Drives. Two are USB Compliant non-ac powered, one that is powered with a power pack, and then one External 5.25" AC Powered unit.

All of them boot the media. I get the message about needing to format, which I select. All of them say partitioning disk, the go to Formatting.....please wait...and stay there for an hour before I try again.

The drive is only a 250GB SSD and the fact that it finds it and partitions it is good.

My question is how long does it take to format? The disk light comes on for about 30-45 seconds, then goes out.

I have tried burning the media at different speeds down to 4x to insure no errors in media. Anyone have any ideas?

~TJ

I am not sure about formatting an SSD drive, but when i formatted my last 32gb USB stick, inserted into one of the USB-A ports at the back of Kronos, it took around 4 hours -or thats how long it took for me to come back and find it done. Definitely took more than two hours for that and maybe even close to four.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: