Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slow tempo of imported .wav files for learning tunes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LG17

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Slow tempo of imported .wav files for learning tunes? Reply with quote

Hi there kind Kronos people -

I'm a Newbie in deep KK water, but really digging this beast.

Forgive dumbness . . . is there a way to slow the tempo of imported .wav files to listen and learn better? I can do it on my crappy Tascam hand help stereo recorder, but can't yet figure it out on the beast.

I have compound ignorance . . . I don't know what I don't know. ; )

Thanks for the help
LG
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few ways you can try. Method #1 is to import the wave into RAM and open it in SAMPLE mode. When on the LOOP EDIT page, you can open the dropdown menu and select TIME STRETCH. (Use SUSTAIN setting.)

It helps, if you know the original tempo of the wave. If you do, just type in the new BPM. If not, use a percentage.

Method #2, you can use TIME SLICE, which will break your wave down into small beats and automatically assign it to the sequencer, where you can use the TEMPO knob. It helps to add some reverb to the sound, to cover up the gaps of silence. Again, it helps, if you know the original BPM.

Method #3 is to put your wave into a program and use TRANSPOSE down (slow the tempo) and PITCH SHIFTER effect up. So, if you transpose down by -6 semitones, you need to set the Pitch Shifter up +6 semitones. Pitch Shifter needs to be 100% WET.

TIME SLICE might sound the best. The other methods sound don't sound great, but they may work well enough for you.

Method #4. Slow the tempo on your Tascam and sample it into the Kronos.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow tempo of imported .wav files for learning tunes? Reply with quote

LG17 wrote:
Hi there kind Kronos people -

I'm a Newbie in deep KK water, but really digging this beast.

Forgive dumbness . . . is there a way to slow the tempo of imported .wav files to listen and learn better? I can do it on my crappy Tascam hand help stereo recorder, but can't yet figure it out on the beast.

I have compound ignorance . . . I don't know what I don't know. ; )

Thanks for the help
LG

I use Audacity to slow tempo with out changing pitch. But you need to 'clock ' your WAV file first.

You will pick up some noise in the slow down process with Audacity. No harm in having 2 slower Wav versions, 1 at 15% slower, another at 20% slower.

I find Audacity simple and quick to work with. And its free
LG17

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the valuable generosity, fellas.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Slow tempo of imported .wav files for learning tunes? Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
I use Audacity to slow tempo with out changing pitch. But you need to 'clock ' your WAV file first.... I find Audacity simple and quick to work with. And its free

Great suggestion, Greg. The quality is very good, compared to what the Kronos can do, especially if you check the "High Quality Stretching" box.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an iPhone or iPad check out a program called Anytune. Google it. It has a bunch of great features to help with learning songs. And slowing down the music is just one of them.
media-igor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

program Sound Forge can do with the sound file all you need!
LG17

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: slow practice tunes Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm now using Anytunes to slow tunes to learn and recording them to audio track in the sequencer. (lightning cable > 3.5mm > 1/4")

All I wanted was the ability to play along with the slowed tune in the sequencer.
This may be a left-handed solution but it works for my purposes.

Appreciate all the thoughts, folks.

Peace.
LG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: