Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Control MIDI module volume with Kronos volume knob

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swarupmahapatra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Control MIDI module volume with Kronos volume knob Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

I have an Roland Integra 7 and I want to control it's main volume (of studio sets) with Kronos volume knob or master slider. Is that possible? I looked into the manual but at a loss mostly because I don't understand much of MIDI.

Can someone please help?

Korg Kronos 2 61, Korg PA900, Korg NanoPad 2, Roland BA 330
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not positive, but I think MIDI volume is CC#7. Try to assign it to a knob or slider.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Swarup, did you ever figure out how to change Integra studio sets by selecting the Kronos Set List? I gave you detailed answers before and was just wondering how you're getting along.

As for controlling the Integra volume via the Kronos --

Simply press the EXT button on the control surface. Now the Master slider will control the Integra volume. By default the Master slider is set to the Kronos' Global MIDI channel.
swarupmahapatra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon2e wrote:
I'm not positive, but I think MIDI volume is CC#7. Try to assign it to a knob or slider.

Thanks Falcon2e. Yes, CC#7 is the correct MIDI for volume. But I am still struggling with where and how to assign it to the volume knob/master slider.

swarupmahapatra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
Hi Swarup, did you ever figure out how to change Integra studio sets by selecting the Kronos Set List? I gave you detailed answers before and was just wondering how you're getting along.

As for controlling the Integra volume via the Kronos --

Simply press the EXT button on the control surface. Now the Master slider will control the Integra volume. By default the Master slider is set to the Kronos' Global MIDI channel.

Hi psionic311,

Thanks for the tip. Yes, I did figure out finally how to change the Integra studio set from Kronos Combi/Set List 2 days back. Sorry, I did not get a chance to update my last thread before I started this one. Here is what I did in the Combi along with implementing your tips -

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM-JmHZX83_zCz6h6VfVkjjQC1XqhbGLx-xLJ6r

I unchecked all the "Enable Program Change" check boxes on which I set the channels to EX2. I have updated the other thread too.

Now for the volume control I went to the Control Surface - External tab as you said but still could not figure out what to do next. Can you please elaborate?

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMbDDkKTsAt-sK2-JdPniec64xnwVePUyqS_g9n

psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you figured out how to coordinate Kronos combi and Integra studio set changes.

After you press the EXT button on the Kronos, simply move the Master fader (the 9th fader) to control your Integra's volume.
swarupmahapatra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
Glad you figured out how to coordinate Kronos combi and Integra studio set changes.

After you press the EXT button on the Kronos, simply move the Master fader (the 9th fader) to control your Integra's volume.

Thanks psionic311. For some reson, it's not controlling the I7's volume. I am going to recheck your settings with my settings. Will keep you posted.

psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double check on your Kronos GLOBAL page, under MIDI/External1, that the last field "Master" has its parameters set to Gch and CC# 007. This is the MIDI volume for the global channel.

Also, make sure that the Integra's System/MIDI has Studio Set Control Channel set to match the Kronos MIDI Global Channel.

It's pretty straightforward, it should work right away.
swarupmahapatra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
Double check on your Kronos GLOBAL page, under MIDI/External1, that the last field "Master" has its parameters set to Gch and CC# 007. This is the MIDI volume for the global channel.

Also, make sure that the Integra's System/MIDI has Studio Set Control Channel set to match the Kronos MIDI Global Channel.

It's pretty straightforward, it should work right away.

Thanks psionic311. Sorry about the late reply as I was away on vacation. I checked the Global settings and everything looks fine. Still non of the sliders are controlling the I7.

19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This video covers details.
At one point mentions having to put kronos control panel into Timbre control mode to have the sliders control volume in I7 live set.

In tone adjust or Karma configuration, the controls are assigned to send other messages.

If you are working with master slider and the control panel is set to Tone Adjust mode, then master slider could be assigned to all kinds of parameters other than what you assigned in global. Also tone adjust control panel is per timbre when in combi mode.

Check to be sure Kronos control panel is in Timbre control mode.

https://youtu.be/64JNQJbMOgk
swarupmahapatra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
This video covers details.
At one point mentions having to put kronos control panel into Timbre control mode to have the sliders control volume in I7 live set.

In tone adjust or Karma configuration, the controls are assigned to send other messages.

If you are working with master slider and the control panel is set to Tone Adjust mode, then master slider could be assigned to all kinds of parameters other than what you assigned in global. Also tone adjust control panel is per timbre when in combi mode.

Check to be sure Kronos control panel is in Timbre control mode.

https://youtu.be/64JNQJbMOgk

Thanks 19naia. Will try this on the Kronos as soon as I am home this evening.

swarupmahapatra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends, I checked all the settings and they are looking fine. I am able to change the I7 Studio Sets and Programs from the Kronos but not able to use any of the sliders or knobs or switches to change the parameters in the I7.

Am I missing something else?

psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's break this down step by step. Please reply with yes or no for each of these below:

On the Kronos, go to GLOBAL mode (for this test, stay in GLOBAL mode).

1) Press and hold the Integra Volume knob. Do you hear the instrument demo play?

2) Turn down the main volume knob of the Kronos. Are you able to play the Integra from the Kronos?

3) Go to Integra SYSTEM menu, MIDI tab. Turn USB-MIDI THRU to OFF. Can you now play the Integra using the Kronos (still in GLOBAL mode)?

EDIT: Removed steps unnecessary to MIDI volume control.

Last edited by psionic311 on Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just discovered that the Kronos and Integra main MIDI channels do not have to match. The Kronos Master slider will still affect volume. If Kronos Global channel is set to 3, then moving the Master slider will affect the Integra instrument volume for whatever is on MIDI channel 3. Kronos set to channel 2, Integra volume on channel 2 affected, etc.

It should work very easily. I have a feeling you may be overlooking something very basic. Are you sure you are pressing the EXT button (found under the Control Assign physical hardware section), then moving the Master slider (not the Value slider next to it)? Remember, the Kronos Main Volume knob cannot be assigned to anything; it only ever controls Kronos L/R main outputs and headphone volume. The Master slider, however, is assignable and by default should be set to GCH CC#07 (again, found in GLOBAL mode, MIDI tab/External1 tab, 5th row).

Note: if you changed the Master parameter on the External1 page to any other channel besides GCH, then MIDI volume will only affect that channel!
swarupmahapatra

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi psionic311,

Thanks again for the help. Sorry I was out on vacation and could not test and respond earlier. I tried per your advice and everything works fine, except that the master slider is actually controlling the I7 part volume on the master MIDI channel and not the whole Studio Set volume. I was intending to control the Studio Set volume by Kronos which is practical in a live situation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: