Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Help!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjdeerinck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with the format stopping at please wait and letting it go overnight and it not moving, I killed the process.

I took the SSD Drive and made a clone of the original drive, put it in the Kronos, and booted the DVD.

I selected FULL INSTALL without the format option and it is loading things up. I am just hoping it will boot properly when done.

Will post back later. Thanks all for the suggestions and pointers!

~TJ
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can recover the preload PCG from the cloned drive AND it is not corrupt, you should be good to go. If you purchased any EXs there is probably a little more involved. Hopefully you saved any activation codes during the purchasing process. Custom samples should be ok, I believe you might have to recreate the original file structure. Keep us posted. Guard that cloned drive with your life.
tjdeerinck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got my Kronos booted up, updated, and the volume fade issue is GONE!

I still need to reload my EXs and have one, hopefully, final question......

Where would the default Preload file be located on the SSD? When I used PCGTools to open the Preloads offline, none of them contained the Setlists or Combis.

Thanks very much again, guys!

~TJ
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All your Programs, Combinations & Global settings are contained in the PCG file inside the Preload folder. It also contains your Set Lists. Load the Preload PCG and you should be good too go. I believe your EXs are in their own folder. You might need to reauthorize those.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got your Kronos working normally. Remember: the PANIC mode button is COMPARE!

Viewing from Kronos DISK mode, you'll see a locked Factory directory. The preload is in there.
tjdeerinck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

This forum is an awesome example of knowledge sharing and kindness. I appreciate EVERYTHING! Looking forward to rocking the Gig this weekend, and another in two weeks in front of thousands for people at a huge festival.

Without you guys, I would be pounding sand!

~TJ
tjdeerinck

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh!

I am trying all the PRELOAD files I can see in Factory and FactoryV2 and it does not load any of my info.

Please help guys! Anything I can do? Am I looking in the wrong area?

~TJ
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjdeerinck wrote:
Argh!

I am trying all the PRELOAD files I can see in Factory and FactoryV2 and it does not load any of my info.

Please help guys! Anything I can do? Am I looking in the wrong area?

~TJ

I had a minor loading issue once and i went to Global mode and set up an Add KSC file to the Auto load. And then saved the global settings in the “write global settings” option from the drop down menu.
Then i powered off and then turned kornos back on and it all loaded up.
I had “tried do auto load now” to manually load what i wanted and it did not work, so the edited auto load setup and writing it into global settings was enough to make kronos load right at power-on.

I am assuming your preload files are all intact such that when you open the files down to the individual program, they are all there? Rather than a named file with empty content...
KSC files are sometimes loaded separate from the full PCG files, and i think that is why it is better sorting the KSC files out in global auto load. From Global autoload page, it takes you into disk mode files to select the exact files or sub files you want to add to auto load.

If your issue is not the factory set files, but your own Custom or third party EX libraries, you may be missing the reauthoraization part. Go to Global and look at the “Options” page to see what options are showing. Even the factory content on a Kronos 2 will show 2 EX options that were factory added as promotion for Kronos 2 over the previous Kronos X model. You should at least have EX 17 library for Berlin and EX 18 if i am not mistaken.
Then any other EX collection you added from third party should show.

If nothng is showing, then maybe you need to look into how to reauthorize your EX libraries.

So, if it is not solved by Global mode auto load, then it may need authorization codes for the EX. Maybe both auto load setup and authorization?
tjdeerinck

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My set lists keep loading as the factory defaults. I did have to reauthorize my EXs and they are all good.

I can't seem to find my Combis, Patches, or Set Lists.

I guess I am totally lost at this point.

The Global options you mentioned did not do anything different for me.

I guess I will have to manually rebuild my Setlists, Combis, Patches?

~TJ
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check all the folders on your SSD? Your data may be in a folder with a different name.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long have you had your Kronos? I am not sure, but I believe the Preload Data is protected. Hence the Lock icon to the left of folders and files. When ever you create or edit Programs, Combis , Global, Set Lists, etc., there is an option in the Page Menu commands to "Write" any changes. If you don't & either switch to a new patch or power down the Kronos, you will lose your changes. "Writing" and "Saving" are unique processes. When you "write" a patch change it is (I believe) writing to the working memory (RAM?) from the Edit Buffers AND writing to the SSD (you can see the SSD light flash) So now if you switch patches or power down you data has been "Saved" and you can boot up and all this data is reloaded. "saving" is done in Disk Mode, with its own set of page menu commands. "Writing" is done in Combi, Program and Global Modes form the page menu commands. Also note that SEQ and Sampling Modes don't have Page Menu commands for "Writing". Not sure how all that works, but I do know that ultimately you can "Save" all that data to the SSD. So if at some point you created a folder for "Saving" all of your data it could be there. If it did update the Preoload data it should be there, but if at some point in the process of restoring the Kronos you loaded the Factory data, then you edits are probably lost. Advice. When you get to a point where you have recreated you patches, create a uniquely named folder on the SSD and then do a "Save All" in Disk Mode and you will know where all your data lives. Then in Disk Mode you can copy the folder to external media (USB device) as a backup. Maybe even upload it to a cloud for access anywhere. Hope you find your data.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Combis, patches(programs) and setlist???

Do you mean the original slots that were filled from the factory set?

Or the ones that came empty in the factory set but were filled in by you with edits you made?

I am trying to tell the difference between your factory set content and the content you had before your glitch started...

If factory content is intact, then it must be your custom edits such as writing combis and patches to factory initialized slots -and also customizing your setlist.

Your only chance no matter what, is that you have it in files somwhere. Factory file should be there intact in SSD. But any edit you made being intact is totally dependent on your history of saving them to disk mode storage.

So far it seems like you have not really shown a grasp on the importance of file saving and its ins and outs.
Diffrentiating between your custom work/edits to original content and the original factory set content, is important but you do not make a really clear reference to give a clue what content you have other than the obvious factory content standard to every Kronos.

Standard content is easy to recover no matter what and seems like all that is good based on what you said so far. The restoration DVDs restore factory content.
Any edits and custom work you did to the standard setup, has to have been saved to disk mode for it to survive this kind of crash.
If you never did a save all of at least a PCG save, looking for unsaved files is a waste of time.
Maybe you did save work properly but the restoration wiped storage and put in the standard factory files required to have kronos factory state restored???

Writing and saving are two different things like has been explained. SAVING is what SAVES YOU no matter what happens. Writing will only survive a power down. SAVE VIA DISK MODE.
Saving goes to disk mode and stays. Writing always gets overwritten by whatever is loaded over it and the previous content is wiped clean from memory. If that previous written content was never saved to disk mode, it gets lost foever unless you are a forensic data detective who can coax out the ghost of erased files from memory or storage devices.

Maybe you do have to start all over again with custom work, but at least now you know to do save all in disk mode every time. Plenty disk space to handle many saves even dupkicates of duplicates of duplicates. I even go as far as duplicate all files onto an external USB in case the SSD itself has a fatal issue.

Maybe it is there in a file somwhere other than your preload file. I hope so for your own peaceof mind. It can be a lot of work customizing kronos across various modes, and even harder to just lose it all in a single hiccup.
tjdeerinck

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this whole thing.

Yes, the original problem is totally solved which makes me very happy. I just don't understand why basically a computer (which the Kronos really is under the hood) does not have my info stored on the SSD unless I save to disk? So the Kronos has non-volatile memory as well and stores the Combis, Setlists, etc there and only goes to SSD if you write?

I really appreciate all the help you guys have offered. It has helped tremendously. I am still hoping that there is maybe some kind of file I can reload to get my programs, combis, setlists back, or it will be a very long night tonight! Sad

~TJ
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjdeerinck wrote:
I guess I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this whole thing.

Yes, the original problem is totally solved which makes me very happy. I just don't understand why basically a computer (which the Kronos really is under the hood)
~TJ

No, I don't agree with that statement- that ' just a PC" is a misleading simplification.

I have stated this several times. Kronos uses common PC components. But that similarity stops there.

If the K was a simple PC, every DIY person would duplicate the Kronos in a heart beat. And that has not happened.

Kronos is a sophisticated ( but is showing its age)and specialized device that operates with a Linux based kernel.

And the file system/UI/mode structure is not like my uncles 10 yr old Windows PC.

The roots of the file system/UI are actually older , possibly 20 yrs. Yes, the UI
has evolved, and has numerous bolt ons, but the roots are quite old.

Thats the picture as I see it.
tjdeerinck

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

I agree with you. I was being a little to simple on my statement. But at the basic level, it is a PC booting up and thus should be reading the files from disc. I am a Systems Engineer of many years, and trust me, I do know that the Kronos is much more than a PC.

Ronnfigg, I did write my programs, combis, setlists as I have for a long time. Just saved in place as I changed things. The original SSD is still intact as I cloned it to a new drive. That is why I am having a hard time thinking my custom settings are gone. I would think they are somewhere on that drive. It was only a system update I was doing on the Kronos when it stopped booting.

~TJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: