Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Behringer Neutron! Uli surprises at NAMM'18 - HUGE? Is it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now only if he would make Trinity, prophecy and 01/w in software vst format.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slug wrote:
Well it certainly looks like s**t, what a mess.

The B Neutron looks just as stylish as the M Mother32.

Methinks it's more the presentation of your opinion that's a mess.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neymar wrote:
Is that one like all the other "clones" shown, we will never see????
RedDragon

Look at your purpose in posting this. It is propaganda not based on facts. Go create another new account so you can troll some more, please.

Dang. I fell for it. I responded. I fed the trolls. See what beer + posting can do?

/sarcasm
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on topic, it's great that customers get an option to buy a user friendly analog desktop module that costs a paycheck or three. Its MIDI capabilities are a mystery, but hopefully a new generation of synth enthusiasts will contribute to the maturing synth scene, eh?

Why all the hate? There's so much out there that is more deserving of the vitriol, please prioritize...
hinav

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: If you love music..or do Ya?! :) Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
Back on topic, it's great that customers get an option to buy a user friendly analog desktop module that costs a paycheck or three. Its MIDI capabilities are a mystery, but hopefully a new generation of synth enthusiasts will contribute to the maturing synth scene, eh?

Why all the hate? There's so much out there that is more deserving of the vitriol, please prioritize...

Agree! To someone like myself (and I understand I may be amongst the minority here) who does not earn a living out of music, lacks talent but is still hugely interested in instruments, noodling for my own ears etc..it helps to break away from that feeling of lust for gear that I hear everyone praising yet had been out of my reach. Until Behringer started making those dreams accessible. For many like me, its not important that i get 100% super respected branded instruments. My respect goes to Behringer who has kept low budget people in mind. And with this competition, other companies are going to have to follow suit - sooner or later there is bound to be more affordable range floating in the market.

How can that be anything less than fantastic news for any musician, professional or otherwise is baffling. Shouldn't the community and those who pride themselves as knowledgeable (I am not) be delighted to realise that there are more folks getting gear, more Christmas trees with wrapped synths for kids (some of who might realise there exist interesting noise makers, other than guitars, orchestra and drums (which of course are equally interesting).

That besides ipad apps there is a joy in hardware instruments.

Unless of course trolling is ones hobby - more so than music itself! Which I suppose cant be helped anyway.. Smile Very Happy
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: If you love music..or do Ya?! :) Reply with quote

[quote="hinav"]

Until Behringer started making those dreams accessible. For many like me, its not important that i get 100% super respected branded instruments. My respect goes to Behringer who has kept low budget people in mind. And with this competition, other companies are going to have to follow suit - sooner or later there is bound to be more affordable range floating in the market.

/quote]

With respect - you have a flawed perception of the world of synthesis and Behringer's place in in it:

1. Even main stream synthesizers are not expensive. Paying between 1 - 3000 dollars for a synth is reasonable - and many across the planet can afford it.

Many who claim they can't afford a synth like a new Minimoog pay multiples of that for a car without even batting an eyelid; while many others pay more pr year for their daily Latte's on the way to work.

It's a false representation to say that synthesisers are expensive. They cost for sure - but most who want them can afford them.

The issue is one of what you value - and if you don't value your music enough to pay hundreds to a few thousand dollars for an amazing synth then that's your business - but that's different to saying that synthesizers are expensive. In the grand scheme, they are not - and in fact have plummeted in price over the decades.

2. Behringer's cheap synthesizers are cheap in character. Look at the "D". It's tiny - likely made of poor components and arguably they will not last a long time. Their DM12, by comparison - costs the same as other synthesizers because it's made to a standard that demands that cost. So it's a misrepresentation to say that Behringer manufacture quality syntheizers at a lower cost to other manufacturers.

Look at the Moog Subsequent 37 - it's about $1500 and it built like a tank, packed with features and of stunning quality - all for just about $1500. Even better - look at Korg's Prologue - stunning price / performance.

3. There are a myriad of other cheap options that are built to very high quality and offer far more innovative features. A few examples:

- Roland's System 8 costa about the same as the the DM12

- Moog's Mother 32

- The tsunami of Eurorack modular modules available

- Volca, AIRA, Reface, ......

the list goes on.

What annoys me the most about this entire Behringer debate is the perpetual false perception that some how they are the saviour of synthesis by releasing clones of past classics for ridiculously los prices.

Here's the real load down:

1. They aren't actually releasing clones - not one of the devices they have released, or propose to release is in any way an identical clone to the original

2. The are undermining the business model of companies like Moog - and indeed attacked Moog on Gearslutz last year

3. Their "clones" are tiny and likely made of cheap components and manufacturing processes to keep costs down

4. There are, as pointed out above, a plethora of more earnest alternatives

As said in a previous post - I applaud the Neuron and DM12 - but - I'm sick and tired of Behringer being falsely lauded as some sort of saviour of the synthesizer. They are one of the biggest threats existing to innovation - because innovation needs a variety of companies - and it costs - and if they kill off the likes of Moog, we loose innovation.

It happened before. We all know that the likes fo the DX7 and M1 killed off the analogue synthesizer for over 2 decades - it's only now getting back on its feet - and if the likes of Behringer get their way, they'll happily kill off the range of amazing companies doing amazing innovation.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin is right about the cost of synths only being perceived as expensive, go into an instrument store and look at how much a block of wood with six really tight strings tied to it can cost for a wake-up call. Then go into the classical instruments room......lol

I find the money for what I want. Simple. I paid out 6k for cars last year. I'm looking at putting that much into either a German synth or a 8 voice sampling modular synth this year. I felt dumb paying 1500aud on a laptop last year, a month after putting 2.5k into various musical bits and pieces. I'd think 5x before buying a 500aud set of tyres, but didn't even think twice about buying a 700aud synth on a whim when buying a 200aud controller......
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to come across as utterly negative about Behringer - I really like the Neuron - it's just the ferver of everyone making out they are like a saviour of low cost synths that I don't buy into.

And like yourself megamarkd - I do buy more expensive synths- and if I can't afford them straight up, I save up. I'm not wealthy, and it can try your patience - but I'm even glad there are expensive synths with amazing features to aspire to.

No doubt that smaller, cheaper synths are great for all sorts of reasons - for young musicians starting out, for portable setups, .... but it's great to have Mininmoogs, and even Moog 55's - most of us will never own those - but it's still great they develop them.

Yamaha were amazing for developing flagships with stunning features - like the DX1 - and then release the more affordable versions like the DX7, with still great, if not revolutionary features.

There are many ways to skin this cat, and Behringer is just another way, no more no less.
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: If you love music..or do Ya?! :) Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Behringer's cheap synthesizers are cheap in character. Look at the "D". It's tiny - likely made of poor components and arguably they will not last a long time.

Well, we'll just have to see about that - You can argue all you like, but until mine goes kaput (apparently, it would seem, due to poor components), I'm just going to leave these here. Wink Twisted Evil

hinav

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: If you love music..or do Ya?! :) Reply with quote

Now wait wait wait...you are teasing aren't you.. This is super nice, Kevin! Did you buy it - where? Did you make it - how? Pray tell..tell..

Am still in the queue - waiting - perhaps in another week or so, I can show it off.

But this - think is the best crafted case+keyboard combo. Period. Congratulations, mate.

I get a feeling you might start to notice scratches, keys producing harmonics and strange synth type sound: due to bad components.

Also get a feeling that you might enjoy the ride - despite the bad components. hmm..why ..I wonder.

Broadwave wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:
Behringer's cheap synthesizers are cheap in character. Look at the "D". It's tiny - likely made of poor components and arguably they will not last a long time.

Well, we'll just have to see about that - You can argue all you like, but until mine goes kaput (apparently, it would seem, due to poor components), I'm just going to leave these here. Wink Twisted Evil

Wink Question Exclamation Laughing
Andi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am definitely buying this: [img]https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/716649d1515421083-ub-xa-synthesizer-ub-xa_p0xxx_top-front.bmp[/img] and the Neutron before that.
If the filter sounds like an OB-Xa filter, I will love it. With modern components it will even sound better than the original, because of lower tolerances and less noise.

Can't see why it's a bad thing to sell replicas of old synth that stay true to the old circuit diagrams. As a fact of the matter the Model-D for 350€ sounds as good as the big ugly bulky Moog original.
Don't tell me a low frequency generator can only sound good when it is produced from components from the 1950,60,70,80ties?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: