Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Help!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjdeerinck wrote:
Greg,

I agree with you. I was being a little to simple on my statement. But at the basic level, it is a PC booting up and thus should be reading the files from disc. I am a Systems Engineer of many years, and trust me, I do know that the Kronos is much more than a PC.

Thats cool. Thank you for clarifying. People read the posts and take it literally.

I like to explain the picture, as I see it anyway. I understand that many devices boot up (like computers, TV's etc) and display something.

At the end of the day, details + terminology is important. Korg has its own jargon.

Getting clear early can avoid potential confusion later.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said that when you reloaded the OS at the beginning of this incident you accidentally downgraded it? That may have forced the OS to load the data that was compatible with that OS. At this point, saving the data from that disk would have been a moot point. If you have all of that data on some other device you could search for "*.pcg" and see what that yields.
Some tips should you be required to start from scratch:
-Create a unique folder in the root directory with a unique name. Open it and do a "Save All" in disk mode. I generally name the data files the same as the folder.
-Create a Combi template. The initial combis are ok, but customizing then to your workflow could be a real timessaver.
As you create and edit patches (combis & programs) or global settings- write! And then when you have done something you feel is important- Save to this new file. When you end your session be sure to also save to an external USB flash device. Copying the folder from your SSD is a option.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand correctly what you've done so far, you have 2 disks in your Kronos now. Obviously your setlists, etc, won't be on the new disk on which you installed the new OS. Hopefully you've seen the dropdown box in DISK mode where you select which disk you're looking at currently.

Try looking by date at the files on your old disk. I personally label each save by the current date like Mar 10, and save it into a directory I created with the current month, which in turn is located in a directory with the current year. I try to save twice a month. HTH
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjdeerinck wrote:
I did write my programs, combis, set lists as I have for a long time. Just saved in place as I changed things. The original SSD is still intact as I cloned it to a new drive.

I didn't read the whole thread but here is a basic idea. Simply identify the most recent PCG file on your original disk (in order words your most recent save/backup of all your customized files before the HD duplicating), which will tell you where are your most recent save of programs and combis and global settings. In disk mode, then select this PCG file and load it. Make sure to select all the other file extensions at the prompt screen.

If everything is now back to what you had before, make sure to add the similar named KSC file in the (under global mode) KSC auto-load list.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the impression from reading this that the OP is using "Preload" to mean what the Kronos boots up with. But that is not "Preload" - "Preload" means the factory programs as they came from the factory. None of your data will be inside the Preload files.

Another point to make here is that this once again points out the importance of always backing up the contents of your Kronos to a file on the hard drive, and ALSO a file on your computer or a flash drive in case something happens to your internal disc.

ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
I get the impression from reading this that the OP is using "Preload" to mean what the Kronos boots up with. But that is not "Preload" - "Preload" means the factory programs as they came from the factory. None of your data will be inside the Preload files.

Another point to make here is that this once again points out the importance of always backing up the contents of your Kronos to a file on the hard drive, and ALSO a file on your computer or a flash drive in case something happens to your internal disc.

So Stephen if someone had a new Kronos, the Preload data would be what gets loaded at boot? And if so, if someone did edits or made new Programs and /or Combis and did a "Write", where would they be stored, assuming no new folder was created and no new PCG was "Saved" in disk mode? And then the K is powered down.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, there is a hidden directory that contains the contents of the kronos as they have last been saved.

So, coming from the factory, the Factory Preload is loaded, but it actually then gets also saved into this hidden directory. But the contents are the same as the Preload.PCG file included with the unit.

Anytime you modify programs and combis, you are saving into the hidden directory. And this is what gets loaded when you power on.

And note that if you never back this up to an actual PCG file, there's no way to restore this "power-on" data if it gets corrupted.

ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
Basically, there is a hidden directory that contains the contents of the kronos as they have last been saved.

So, coming from the factory, the Factory Preload is loaded, but it actually then gets also saved into this hidden directory. But the contents are the same as the Preload.PCG file included with the unit.

Anytime you modify programs and combis, you are saving into the hidden directory. And this is what gets loaded when you power on.

And note that if you never back this up to an actual PCG file, there's no way to restore this "power-on" data if it gets corrupted.

Thank you so much. That is exactly the information I was looking for. Pretty much since day one even back on my Triton Studio I always made up my own folders and PCG files with unique identifiers. This way I always knew what data I had and where it was. Being as I play with a few different bands having the folders and PCG files named for those bands makes things a whole lot easier. I did notice that if I loaded a specific PCG filed and powered down that would be the one that gets loaded at next power up. Just as you described. And I guess once you do your own save it is no longer a hidden folder. Interesting the way Korg did that. But I guess in some ways it keeps people from over writing certain data. That can be a good thing or a bad thing. Such as in the case of this thread. Thanks again for your quick and informative reply.
tjdeerinck

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven Kay,

Thanks for clearing that up. And to everyone else.

I basically rebuilt all my patches, combis, setlists last night.

When I power on my Kronos, it is not defaulting to my Setlist and thus the Combis are not correct.

I have saved everything MULTIPLE TIMES NOW with SAVE ALL.

The big question is......How can I default load a Setlist when I power up. All my Preloads are working now.....just need my Setlist to default to reduce GIG STRESS!

~TJ
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you asking if it can start up in setlist mode?. Let's take this one step at a time.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From The PG. Page 766.

Power On Mode [Reset, Memorize]
Specifies the condition at power-on.
Reset: The KRONOS will be in Combination mode P0:
Play, and Combination INT–A000 will be selected.
Memorize: The location (mode and page) where you were
when the power was last turned off, and the last-selected
program or combination number will be selected.

This function does not memorize the contents of any
parameters that were edited. Before turning off the power,
be sure to write your data or save it in Disk mode.

Set this feature to "Memorize". Be sure to "Write" this global setting. Be sure you are in Set List mode before powering down. When you boot up you should return to Setlist mode. Word of caution- when changing "Global" setting be sure to "WRITE" them from the Page Menu Commands.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS- you have stated that you "saved everything MULTIPLE TIMES NOW with SAVE ALL." To external media as well as the SSD correct?
tjdeerinck

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Internal Secondary SSD and also external media!

What I am trying to do with the Setlist is when the Kronos boots, it pulls up my new setlist instead of the Preload.

It used to default to my old list but for the life of me I can't seem to find where to set the default setlist.

~TJ
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read 2 posts back. As far as I know there is no way to set a default set list. But if you go into the global mode and tell the Kronos when it boots up, you want it to go to the memorize location, which just happens to be the last location you were at before you power down. This is called memorize. As opposed to reset. I believe the current kronos's all default to their own preload set list. So if you go to your set list before you power down, and have made the changes in global mode, your Kronos will boot back up to set list, your setlist specifically. I am going to give this a try now on my machine to make sure that that is the way it works. I normally boot to the disk mode..
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. I just did it. With the Kronos set to power on mode/memorize in the basic tab in global mode, I powered down my machine while I was into one of my setlists at setlist slot number 22. I just hit the power switch waited about 10 seconds and booted right back up to my set list and Slot number 22. Remember, after you make those settings in global mode you have to write the global setting before powering down. Also saving your PCG file before powering down isn't a bad idea either. As far as I am concerned you should backup your data after every session to be on the safe side. Even if you don't think you've made any changes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: